Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Giving the Voth a decent story. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=204860)

Archived Post 03-01-2011 04:53 PM

Giving the Voth a decent story.

I hate the idea that a species of intellect evolved on Earth before the humans. Ridiculous. There would be proof. The premise of that Voth episode reminded me of Land of the Lost that was on Nick. I hates it!

So, how to remedy this?
If the Voth are ever introduced (ew!) I hope that their origin is clarified to not ACTUALLY be from Earth. Instead something like this is done:

Maybe the Iconians or Preservers or whatever took genetic samples from many worlds of species that were not intelligent. This included that dinosaur species.
Using genetic alterations they created a new race based on that genetic sample of intelligent and fully sentient beings. The Voth.
Maybe the Preservers decided to go about a new method of making other species. They already claim to have done it by seeding planets in the galaxy. Why not this way too?

I just don't like the incredibly dumb idea that there was a very advanced civilization on Earth before humans. It's just impossible. You cannot possibly erase ALL the proof... If we can find bones millions of years old there'd be absolutely no reason we couldn't find a freakin' space dinosaur. :rolleyes:

So in short my idea is to make them genetically originate on Earth but didn't in fact evolve there. They were produced by some species (possibly the Preservers).
They still might claim ties to Earth which might put them against the Federation but... really I just care about fixing their HORRIBLE origin. :p

Archived Post 03-01-2011 05:02 PM

Fine... they came from jupiter then

Archived Post 03-01-2011 05:03 PM

Whatever is stated in the shows is canon, and STO cant just disregard that. Especially because CBS is involved with this game.

Archived Post 03-01-2011 05:07 PM

Remember, part of Trek is potentially having unreliable narrators and mythologies being a part of a culture, like when they met the clone of Kahless.

Archived Post 03-01-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
Fine... they came from jupiter then

If you're gonna make a random suggestion, you could at least pick a planet with a solid surface.

Archived Post 03-01-2011 05:11 PM

Everyone knows Federation sensors can scan for atoms on a planet but not a skeleton of a bipedal 7 foot creature that is obviously not human.

Archived Post 03-01-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USS Parallax
You cannot possibly erase ALL the proof... If we can find bones millions of years old there'd be absolutely no reason we couldn't find a freakin' space dinosaur. :rolleyes:

Point of order;
Yes you can

Reptiles aren't as adaptable as us to varied environments. Being cold blooded, they tend to live in deserts and jungles. Deserts are rather good at preserving ancient ruins, but jungles are a whole other matter. They can erase a city easily. The remains of a civilization in the jungle would only last a few years to a few centuries without maintenance. If if there were a city 65 million years ago in a jungle area, its remains would be long gone by now. Even the bones we find of animals who used to live in such areas were preserved by raw luck. Many of them are statistical anomalies, and of course the fun thing about statistical anomalies is that the more you roll the dice, the more anomalies you'll get. A few billion dinosaurs spread over a few hundred million years is a lot of rolls. A city without maintenance is 1 roll.

Archived Post 03-01-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus (Post 3399435)
Whatever is stated in the shows is canon, and STO cant just disregard that. Especially because CBS is involved with this game.

They never stated that they evolved on earth. They presented it as the most likely possibility. There's absolutely not canon that would make my example impossible.

Archived Post 03-01-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USS Parallax
I just don't like the incredibly dumb idea that there was a very advanced civilization on Earth before humans. It's just impossible. You cannot possibly erase ALL the proof... If we can find bones millions of years old there'd be absolutely no reason we couldn't find a freakin' space dinosaur. :rolleyes

Actually, the episode itself provided plenty of plausibility for their evolution on Earth. Chakotay mentions the idea of a lost civilization, it's evidence buried by a catastrophic event in Earths past.

Imagine if instead of impacting off the Yukatan peninsula, that ancient impact had occurred with the Yucatan peninsula, and only 2000 years ago, would we have any significant evidence of the Maya?

What if such an event hit Greece? Or Rome? Or Giza? Such large disasters could easily wipe out all evidence of an ancient civilization.

Especially if that civilization was concentrated in a small area, kept safe by geography from some very large and dangerous predators.

There's evidence on the Earth now that some large land masses have been completely submerged by the oceans, and considering the wear and tear our modern materials undergo from salt water, I can easily imagine 20 million years of submersion obliterating all evidence of an ancient technological culture.

I find it plausible (not likely, but plausible).

Archived Post 03-01-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terral
If you're gonna make a random suggestion, you could at least pick a planet with a solid surface.

france.

still.. aslong as we get a mission the city ship thing... im all for it :D