Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Add the Stuff now, Add functionality later! (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=204933)

Archived Post 03-02-2011 04:53 AM

Add the Stuff now, Add functionality later!
 
So we know the following systems,

--Rure Penthe
--Sol system
--?Starfleet Academy/ San Francisco? (Someone told me in-game, don't know if this is true)

are done.

Dstahl has stated that they are holding these for ways to add functionality. That's great and I understand that. However, at this point in the game, especially with a lot of us at the end-game content, we just want to explore the universe.

We need lots more of persistent zones that have large and interesting environments. Adding the caves to Risa was smart but it should've been taken to the next step. Instead of a single cave, it should've kept going and maybe have some enemies, Talarian hook spiders anyone?, randomly pop up.

Look at CO, they have practically no functionality in Millennium city, yet it's so fun to just travel and flying around it just exploring. That is what is so brilliant about the weeklies. A lot of times we just explore , which is why it took me two and a half hours to finish the last weekly:p

If there were more starbases that had a depth of detail like the new ESD, that's all I would do is visit them. I would love going inside Utopia Planitia and see ships under construction and engineers working on new schematics.

We do missions but we don't have enough persistent zones to allow us to just hang out in the universe we all love.

Whatever you do, don't make them like Andoria where it's pretty bland. Take the Risa route and take it to the next level.

Do you guys agree?

Archived Post 03-02-2011 04:56 AM

Wholeheartedly.

For the Foundry, if nothing else.

Archived Post 03-02-2011 04:59 AM

I think holding off until the functionality is at least in development is probably for the best.

Archived Post 03-02-2011 05:03 AM

I want to say 'no', since most people don't bother with planets like Risa at all, due to there being nothing to do there; but as nuh pointed out, they could be handy for foundry missions even if nothing else.

Archived Post 03-02-2011 05:15 AM

I don't really support this, as it would probably backfire just like the Klingon faction for example.

The players wan't it.
The devs make it clear that it's unfinished.
The players are like "It doesn't matter, we'll understand, just release it!"
The devs are like "O.K. we heard you, here it is"
Then players.. "This is it? This sucks big time, FU Cryptic!"

So, I'd rather wait for them to be finished.

Archived Post 03-02-2011 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grieff (Post 3400378)
The players wan't it.
The devs make it clear that it's unfinished.
The players are like "It doesn't matter, we'll understand, just release it!"
The devs are like "O.K. we heard you, here it is"
Then players.. "This is it? This sucks big time, FU Cryptic!"

So, I'd rather wait for them to be finished.

I tend to agree with this. All we need is something else to bring out the nay-sayers. I can see the other side of the arguement, though....

How about some sort of compramise (sp?) where the unfinished areas are released on tribble in the foundry. If enough UGC is generated using these environments, move them to the Holodeck with the UGC, and viola, stuff to do in the new areas :cool:

Just a thought...

Archived Post 03-02-2011 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grieff (Post 3400378)
I don't really support this, as it would probably backfire just like the Klingon faction for example.

The players wan't it.
The devs make it clear that it's unfinished.
The players are like "It doesn't matter, we'll understand, just release it!"
The devs are like "O.K. we heard you, here it is"
Then players.. "This is it? This sucks big time, FU Cryptic!"

So, I'd rather wait for them to be finished.

just take Ship Interriors...
The POLL http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=151987
is pretty clear on what players wanted from it.

Functionality – is more critical to me than what it looks like 43,20%
Era – my interior has the TOS vs. the TNG “look” 5,54%
( of 10075 votes )

what do we get first ? TOS interriors! *doh*

it's the Open Jacket Uniform all over again...

Archived Post 03-02-2011 06:02 AM

If they have time to do this, I would like to see it. I requested they add some stuff to do on Risa, mainly stuff to see ( as well as add the second sun and moon it should have ). But the Devs never responded. It is possible they will not add these things until there is a reason to. A shame since I would have loved to visit Starfleet Academy or Mount Seleya on Vulcan.

Archived Post 03-02-2011 06:14 AM

hmm... more on topic:

i can see that this would be good for the foundry

but

- we do not have the foundry on Holodeck yet
- and more importantly, when Cryptic decides to finally add functionality, they may decide to change more arround then just adding a few buttons.

For example i played a Foundry Mission on Tribble where a Spacestation with the Earth Space Dock interrior map was attacked by Romulans.
What happened to that Map and Mission after they updated ESD to look like it does now?

Does Cryptic want to keep old Maps in the game for years only so some guy can use that for Foundry missions?

I would suggest that nothing get's released before it is finished or it might even screw up that Foundry Mission that you are hoping for.

Archived Post 03-02-2011 06:31 AM

Please - give us an actually reason to visit places like Risa, Andoria, etc. They have nothing to do there and haven't since launch. Don't just add them on a whim: give us something to do and interact with.

It seems like you're contradicting yourself: Risa and Andoria were added without functionality and they're... boring (something you acknowledge).

Quote:

Originally Posted by forresto (Post 3400338)
Dstahl has stated that they are holding these for ways to add functionality. That's great and I understand that. However, at this point in the game, especially with a lot of us at the end-game content, we just want to explore the universe.

There's a very good reason for this and you actually acknowledge that huge zones with nothing in them (like Andoria) are boring.

Quote:

We need lots more of persistent zones that have large and interesting environments. Adding the caves to Risa was smart but it should've been taken to the next step. Instead of a single cave, it should've kept going and maybe have some enemies, Talarian hook spiders anyone?, randomly pop up.
Some of the existing persistent zones haven't had content... ever. :(

Quote:

Look at CO, they have practically no functionality in Millennium city, yet it's so fun to just travel and flying around it just exploring. That is what is so brilliant about the weeklies. A lot of times we just explore , which is why it took me two and a half hours to finish the last weekly:p
have you played Champions? Lots of questing occurs in Millenium City.

Quote:

If there were more starbases that had a depth of detail like the new ESD, that's all I would do is visit them. I would love going inside Utopia Planitia and see ships under construction and engineers working on new schematics.
I'd love to see but but I'd love a reason to be there. STO already has several persistent zones with zero gameplay.

Quote:

We do missions but we don't have enough persistent zones to allow us to just hang out in the universe we all love.
I want more persistent zones too but I want a reason to actually go there too. ;)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:07 AM.