Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Klingon Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Can't buy the Klingon melting pot (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=204957)

Archived Post 03-02-2011 08:24 AM

Can't buy the Klingon melting pot

I just can't do it.

Even though i have an orion character and a joined trill on the klingon side, i still just can't buy the klingon melting pot. I can't see it.

I do have a klngon character.

I can't see the KLINGON defence force recruiting members of other species into their ranks. The klingons are not like the federation. what happens in a few years when the klingons no longer want the gorn or the orions around?

To me, the way it should work would be Klingons in klingon ships, Orions in orion ships, Gorn in Gorn ships..etc.

Klingon ships with all klingon crew. Orion ships with all orion crews.

Orions starting on their homeworld, klingons starting on Qo'nos, Gorn starting on their homeworld.

I understand they didn't even have time to finish the klingon faction so asking for all this stuff is ridiculous. Nonetheless the klingon melting pot is just silly.

Klingon guy "Come friends, join our alliance, serve on our ships"

Bull feces.

I understand Riker served on a klingon ship in an exchange program. But that was an exchange, not a permanent thing. Also I always felt that was one of the things the klingons had to put up with in their alliance with the feds.

Most of you probably don't agree with me but who else am I going to talk to about this? my wife and kids?

Archived Post 03-02-2011 08:34 AM

This is the right place to discuss it.
Even when one does not agree with the others, or even when one does this is the right place.
I don't have time right now to properly join the discussion.
I will probably come back later, I just wanted you to know this is still the right place.:)

Archived Post 03-02-2011 09:38 AM

I can see it for the Klingons, what better way to learn about you're future conquests than to have them be part of you're military at one point. you learn there tactics what there physical weaknesses are, and gain there trust so when you do turn on them they are taken in a surprise.

My only gripe is that the Feds and Klingons are at war. in the TNG timeline and up they were the federations closest Allies. Hell Picard and the Enterprise, as well as the federation did more to help out the Klingons, and if the Klnigons knew about Species 8472's (sorry i re-fuse to call them undine) infiltration of governments they would have told starfleet, like starfleet warned and told the other races of the Alpha Quadrant about the Changelings during the Dominion war. If anything the federation would be at war with the Romulans in there retaliation to the loss of there home world because the Vulcan science academy were dicks and said let them burn to Spock.

this is my only gripe with the STO story line is that the feds are at war with there most powerful allies, and vise versa.

But lets be honest if there weren't other races to choose from for the Klinks you would probably be in this thread saying why don't the Klingons have any other Races to play as.

Archived Post 03-02-2011 09:53 AM

There are a lot of ways you can look at this issue. Look for example at the UFP and Starfleet. They draw recruits from 150 worlds and 1000 colonies. Klingons man their ships exclusively with Klingons. Starfleet should outnumber the KDF by a ridiculous margin. There are still alternate realities where the Klingons actually beat the Federation. O_O STO seems to be actually smarter than canon.

From a gameplay point of view it's necessary that the Klingons have more than one race. Otherwise the faction would be boring. Now seeing how they all work on Klingon ships, yeah, not cool. They should have access to ALL the races ships. However it is really smart to mix crews. If the Orions, the Gorn or the Nausicaans try to defect, do you really want them to be isolated on their own ships? If you mix the crews they keep each other in check in case one of the species develops a rebellious streak.
If the Orions suddenly try to defect because the war is going badly do you want them to take a few 100 battleships, cruisers and frigates over to the Federation or let multiple small groups try to take over KDF ships against the resistance of the Klingons, Gorn and Nausicaans aboard? Not mentioning that the crews of such vessels develop bonds that could make them ignore such orders.

And if they want to get rid of them? Well, this is where the strategy can backfire, but I don't believe that's the plan. Someone is manipulating this war, and they need a faction that can take on the Federation. If Starfleet and the KDF destroy each other no one has to worry about expelling someone from the KDF.:D

Archived Post 03-02-2011 10:18 AM

The backstory given on the main STO website covers how SF refused to help in the KDF hunt for Undine in the quadrant.

As to why the Gorn, Nausicians and Orions ended up in the KDF is there as well and even mentioned from time to time in the load screens ingame. Some where conquered and absorbed, othrs joined after a choice was given to them.

Archived Post 03-02-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roach (Post 3400964)
The backstory given on the main STO website covers how SF refused to help in the KDF hunt for Undine in the quadrant.

As to why the Gorn, Nausicians and Orions ended up in the KDF is there as well and even mentioned from time to time in the load screens ingame. Some where conquered and absorbed, othrs joined after a choice was given to them.

I think he knows that. However, the Klingons conquered other worlds and races before. Krios for example. But did you ever see a Kriosian KDF officer?

Archived Post 03-02-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-Tar
I think he knows that. However, the Klingons conquered other worlds and races before. Krios for example. But did you ever see a Kriosian KDF officer?

Political moods change. Before the KDf was not coming out of a war that cost lots of warriors lives and resources. Possibly the modern KDF has adopted the philosphy of a "Štheling" style society, where all other races are accorded freedoms below the KLingon.

My first post was merely trying to point out that ingame reasons were put in place to explain the merging of the races.

Archived Post 03-02-2011 02:29 PM

I don't particularly "buy" it either, but I think that has more to do with how it is presented in game than how it appears to have occurred based on STO "lore". If you read the "Path to..." posts it becomes clear this is not so much a "melting pot" as it is a loose alliance of groups with complimentary goals. The Gorn are the only one's that stick as a bit of an odd duck since they were fighting the Klingons at the beginning of this story, but when you realize that the Klingons intentions were not so much "conquest" as they were the eradication of a threat (the Undine infiltrator) it is a little more plausible.

Having some species specific ships and costumes has gone a long way for me in making this whole thing feel a bit more "realistic". The idea of Gorn especially in command of a Klingon ship with Klingon crew just ruffles the ridges. I guess I've learned to live with it though, one way is that all of my crews are mono-specie on the KDF side (Well my Vulcan D'Kyr capt's is too).

Archived Post 03-02-2011 02:43 PM

Am I the only one who thought "Klingon Melting Pot" was the next C-Store item?

Archived Post 03-02-2011 03:30 PM

I believe that by removing those factions from the KDF you would be limiting even more an already severly limited side of the game, esp since there is not that many Gorn, Orion or other ships on that side.