Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   Tired of ships on the C-Store (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=205123)

Archived Post 03-03-2011 07:33 AM

Tired of ships on the C-Store
 
I almost posted this in reply in the MVAM Escort feedback thread, but realized that it would be off-topic. I'm voicing my opinion here then.

When the MVAM was introduced as a console, I was hoping for more game progression such as hopefully some crafting method to obtain it (Even though the Delta Flyer crafting is still MIA) perhaps even a little quest line to help "test it." What we were offered was another cash grab for players to get something.

IMO, If every-single new ship or art release is going to end up on the C-STORE get rid of the subscription fee. It makes absolutely no sense. I have to pay almost $19 to have ship bundles like the D'Kyr or the retrofits. That's over one month's worth of subscription! So if I continue playing, you're going to get my money anyway, why charge me more?

The flip-side of buying via emblems is just such a grind. It will take me months to gather enough to buy all the available ships via in-game only. That's not very reasonable if I want to take a more relaxed approach to my gaming. By the time I have enough emblems the "Monthly ship release" comes around and I need to start the grind again. Why can't these art assets be budgeted from the subscription? Or made cheaper?

The choice: A month of game-time at all or a month of grind

And don't get me wrong, I understand that you're not simply putting everything on the C-Store. I think the team has done a magnificent job with the Weekly and the Season updates. But the C-Store works best for cosmetic little things. Ships do not belong in the store.

Besides, this micro-transaction economy model works well for FREE TO PLAY games, not subscription-based.

PLEASE! Fill the C-Store with Avatar/bridge costumes, pets, even the consumables bonus xp things. NOT FUNCTIONAL SHIPS. And if you MUST have them on the C-Store, I think $10 for a ship is a more reasonable price, $5 for the shuttles. Most of these ships take about a month or two for the team to get them to tribble. Sometimes more. Subscribed players payed during that time. If we fraction that subscription fee, we have payed some of those "Atari Points" and emblems through our monthly fee. PLEASE lower the price at the very least. Or remove them altogether and give me fun ways to get them in-game.

A matching emblem cost to more casual 300 or so would also be reasonable. I can get my ships in a more reasonable time frame, and I can have money to pay the subscription for another month.

Archived Post 03-03-2011 07:36 AM

Christ, not another one of these. Either grind 'em or don't buy 'em. Honestly.

Archived Post 03-03-2011 07:40 AM

Thanks for the opinion.

My point is about the functional items that end up on the C-Store and are way too overpriced in-game. I don't think it is fair grind. And the C-Store alternative seems like too much of a cash grab.

Archived Post 03-03-2011 07:44 AM

Just suck it up and grind.
IMO its even too generous that they give you the option of buying them.

But seriously, at the moment they are what you would call endgame ships and in other MMORPG's it takes A LOT of grinding to get one.
I was never able to get a 1st rate ship in Pirates of the Burning Sea because of the heavy grind required, and as a casual player in ********* it took me years to get some of the best armor in the game.

Archived Post 03-03-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshmaul
Christ, not another one of these. Either grind 'em or don't buy 'em. Honestly.

Though I don't agree fully with the first post in this thread, I do agree with the general sentiment. I'm not a huge fan of C-Store Ships, but I can't help but feel that the 500 emblem cost put in game is prohibitive to the typcial player, now if all these retrofit ships are put into the game and available using the VA level token then that'd be fine, but they're not.

The Nebula and the Vulcan Science ship are a bit more friendly, you can grind both Marks of Exploration and Emblems for these and with the trading at BG Omega these are definitely more accessible. Just by running your B'tran daily you can grab these much quicker, combine with other emblem grabs and it's quite reasonable.

Things like the Excelsior and the Garumba (and I suspect the other KDF ships but tbh I don't know on them) are 500 emblems, now that really is a long time for most players, I would honestly think that 300 would be a much more reasonable amount. I'd be in full support of keeping C-Store accessability (tbh, 1200 points to remove the grind for all characters isn't bad, I have 3 VA's, that works nicely, if you have one it stings more) but how about making them a bit less grindy in game, say a 350 Merits price point?

Archived Post 03-03-2011 07:48 AM

well personally, I rather PREFER it this way...

None of these ships are MANDATORY to complete the game, or even to stay competitive with people who do... thats why they balance them.

I find this method to be far preferable to say... releasing a supplement. For example:

CoH released City of Villains as a seperate supplement, and the newest addition seperately. Also, they sell all the neat extra powers/emotes/costumes in their store that you have to purchase seperately.

Guild Wars has released SEVERAL new supplements that you CAN'T play at ALL unless you buy them.

World of ******** is the same thing... you can't even play the extra content unless you buy the supplement.

We have been fortunate enough not to have to succumb to this wily business practice, and instead are given all extra GAME content for the price of our subscription. If you really want Cryptic to follow the other MMO giants, then logically all the weekly episodes, new ships, new costumes, new add-ons should come in a whole seperate supplement once every few years.

Personally... I prefer the way things are going. Getting new content every week or so keeps me excited about the game, and keeps me guessing about what is coming next. I like it this way.

You feel cheated? Well imagine if they came out with NOTHING for the next year and a half, and then announced they would be selling a brand new supplement for $40-$60 bucks.

No thanks... I like that I can buy what I want in doses, rather than be forced to buy a bunch of extras that I don't want or won't ever use.

Archived Post 03-03-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david26th (Post 3403415)
Though I don't agree fully with the first post in this thread, I do agree with the general sentiment. I'm not a huge fan of C-Store Ships, but I can't help but feel that the 500 emblem cost put in game is prohibitive to the typcial player, now if all these retrofit ships are put into the game and available using the VA level token then that'd be fine, but they're not.The Nebula and the Vulcan Science ship are a bit more friendly, you can grind both Marks of Exploration and Emblems for these and with the trading at BG Omega these are definitely more accessible. Just by running your B'tran daily you can grab these much quicker, combine with other emblem grabs and it's quite reasonable.

Things like the Excelsior and the Garumba (and I suspect the other KDF ships but tbh I don't know on them) are 500 emblems, now that really is a long time for most players, I would honestly think that 300 would be a much more reasonable amount. I'd be in full support of keeping C-Store accessability (tbh, 1200 points to remove the grind for all characters isn't bad, I have 3 VA's, that works nicely, if you have one it stings more) but how about making them a bit less grindy in game, say a 350 Merits price point?

I completely agree.

I was having a conversation with a fellow fleet member about the stupid pricing on ships ingame (via 500 emblems) vs the almost forcable method Cryptic is taking with buying ships from the C-Store.

Archived Post 03-03-2011 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thun712 (Post 3403398)
I don't think it is fair grind.

would not be much of a grind if it was fair.

people always want stuff easier and quicker than what its being offered at. id love it to be less, but i dont think it should be.

i would however prefer if emblems were on an account basis so they all go into one pool like atari points, then you can build up your emblems via different characters. that would make the grind slightly less arduous.

Archived Post 03-03-2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david26th (Post 3403415)
but I can't help but feel that the 500 emblem cost put in game is prohibitive to the typcial player

I disagree entirely. There are numerous methods for gaining emblems. Your typical Vice Admiral can earn 10 emblems a day doing B'Tran and Deferi dailies. They can earn even more emblems if they run through a Fleet Action or other repeatable content that awards them.

Archived Post 03-03-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshmaul
Christ, not another one of these. Either grind 'em or don't buy 'em. Honestly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexraptor (Post 3403412)
Just suck it up and grind.
IMO its even too generous that they give you the option of buying them.

But seriously, at the moment they are what you would call endgame ships and in other MMORPG's it takes A LOT of grinding to get one.
I was never able to get a 1st rate ship in Pirates of the Burning Sea because of the heavy grind required, and as a casual player in ********* it took me years to get some of the best armor in the game.

Out of these 2 quotes about grinding, I like the 2nd quote better. I consider myself a casual player as well but I am willing to grind to get the "high-end" stuff, not just have it handed to me since decreasing the amount of emblems to get them would do that.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:38 PM.