Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Suggestion: Diplomacy Currency (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=206867)

Archived Post 03-13-2011 11:12 AM

Suggestion: Diplomacy Currency
 
Well, we're already at an overload of currency so call it what you will.

But it'd be nice if there was some point to Diplomatic XP after reaching Federation Ambassador. My suggestion would be to simply turn the Diplomatic XP into currency (10dpxp=10dpc).

Add some devices, like say specialized tricorders or hypos (like placate enemy effects, specialized debuffs, etc.), consoles, etc. and let us purchase additional enemy faction officers, at say 1,000 or so dpc (equivalent of roughly 100 standard or 50 special diplo missions).

Give me some reason to want to do First Contact missions again.

Archived Post 03-13-2011 11:15 AM

Yes because there is a complete lack of various currencies in the game. With marks, emblems, badges, medals, merits, credits and latinum. I'm sure we can cram one more entry there on the assets page.

Archived Post 03-13-2011 11:44 AM

No more additional currencies.

End inflation; stop creation.

The devs should be reducing the number of currencies not increasing them.

Archived Post 03-13-2011 11:46 AM

There are actually talking about reducing the number of currencies. Which would be welcomed.

Archived Post 03-13-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisiblePerson
Well, we're already at an overload of currency so call it what you will.

But it'd be nice if there was some point to Diplomatic XP after reaching Federation Ambassador. My suggestion would be to simply turn the Diplomatic XP into currency (10dpxp=10dpc).

Add some devices, like say specialized tricorders or hypos (like placate enemy effects, specialized debuffs, etc.), consoles, etc. and let us purchase additional enemy faction officers, at say 1,000 or so dpc (equivalent of roughly 100 standard or 50 special diplo missions).

Give me some reason to want to do First Contact missions again.

I think this could be a great idea for unique items. Like ambassador's robe or some kind of diplomatic shuttle/ship.

Archived Post 03-13-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red_shirt_ (Post 3427942)
There are actually talking about reducing the number of currencies. Which would be welcomed.

The OP is talking about creating a new FDC currency once you reach Ambassador.

Archived Post 03-13-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
The OP is talking about creating a new FDC currency once you reach Ambassador.

Ok, as long this is turned into an already existing currency, why not.

Archived Post 03-13-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red_shirt_ (Post 3427952)
Ok, as long this is turned into an already existing currency, why not.

I'd support it being converted to a currency once the overall number of currencies is reduced. :D

Archived Post 03-13-2011 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
No more additional currencies.

End inflation; stop creation.

The devs should be reducing the number of currencies not increasing them.

Totally disagree here. There are too many redundant/unusable currencies but each type of mechanic/playstyle needs either its own currency or progression bar or it doesn't really rise to the level of being a true game-within-a-game.

We don't have 1/10th the currencies that a game like WoW has.

Different exploration currencies is goofy because it's the same core playstyle. Currencies don't take up bagspace either (aside from anomalies) so that's not a huge issue.

I think currencies need to make sense. You shouldn't outlevel a currency before you have enough to use on an appropriate item. Multiple currencies for the same task are silly and a lot of the existing currencies should be consolidated, IMHO. I personally think Marks and Emblems should all be condensed down to a single currency.

But new currencies for things that could ideally be the entire focus of someone's gameplay, like PvP and Diplomacy -- these need love and their own currency or else people can't really make these tasks the center of their gameplay experience in a way that sets them apart.

I suppose it can work to simply make it a faction bar (like Diplomacy currently is) and open up an emblem store at the top, then design multiple systems like that. But then that provides no Diplomacy-centric endgame, which I think we could really use here.

I really think Diplomacy should be no smaller in scope than the Argent Tournament in WoW and there are people who STILL spend most of their WoW time doing that, an expansion later.

Archived Post 03-13-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I'd support it being converted to a currency once the overall number of currencies is reduced. :D

I jumped the gun.

But I really think Diplomacy needs two things:

1) A hub with repeatable diplomatic activity. (Babel and/or Khitomer spring to mind)

2) Cryptic needs to decide one of two things about Diplomacy:

- Is it supposed to be a sprawling system, on par with PvP, where you have people forming Diplomacy fleets? If so, it needs more and it needs more endgame and group activity. If so, we probably need Klingon diplomacy too. In this case, it needs its own currency.

- Is it the template for a faction system? If that's the case, it needs some polishing up to form as a template for lots of similar alternative progression paths.

It's going to be one or the other, primarily. But I think it's worth examining whether the community wants diplomacy expanded out into one of the top five or six play mechanics the game is based around (via mini-games, dailies, etc.) or would rather have more, small-scale diplomacy-type systems. (In which case, Diplomacy just needs an extra layer of gloss and then we need similar alternative advancement/faction systems built around different things.)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52 PM.