Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   MSG to Crypic. Please setup a PvP Czar. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=207117)

Archived Post 03-15-2011 01:59 AM

MSG to Crypic. Please setup a PvP Czar.

My good friends at Cryptic,

At this time many are not 100% happy with some of your policies in regards to reporting broken game mechanics / bugs that could be used for unfair advantage. I agree with your policy of keeping this type of information as quiet as possible. As a community we have to all act in good faith and send information to you when we find exploitable mechanics or bugs, however the current system you have setup of in game reporting, does seem to be lacking from a customer perspective. I myself am not all that happy at the moment with Cryptics reaction times to many of the issues mentioned here in the last month or soish. However I will give you credit for fixing a good number of them. I do appreciate your hard work to track down many of those long running issues and squash them, thank you. I guess what erks me most is Cryptics seeming inability to discover many of these issues for themselves... or replicate them when they have been pointed out or even mentioned in a public forum for instance. Honestly I know many of the people at Cryptic play STO... I do wonder sometimes how they don't see the things that seem so obvious to some of us.

I hope Cryptic makes finding and squashing future issues a major priority. As I have stated before PvP is the life blood of this game... the hard core PvP element here are the guys that have referred their pve friends.... the ones that keep each other subscribing so we can play with / against each other more so then for the game itself. It starts with a trickle of desubs... and it rolls from there. I know none of us want that or we wouldn't be here (in the forums).

I guess my point is Cryptics policy on not publicy talking about things that could Break the game for people is a good one. I however hope they understand the level of frustration it takes for many of the hard core PvP guys and gals to sit on things knowing they have been reported and it seems sometimes multiple patches pass before the hole is plugged (or anything is acknowledged). The community I am sure would very much like to keep these things under wraps as well and have them corrected properly, however with zero feedback and the sometimes long wait times to correction, frustration will of course take hold.

Perhaps what we need is a Crypic PvP Czar. One Crypic Employee who could liaise with the community, perhaps be on tribble at a set time each Week / Bi Week / monthly even... be there IM chatting with people willing to walk him/her through any issues they feel they may have found. A rep with a good understanding of the mechanics could determine if its an intended mechanic, not intended... seems strange; or is indeed something that needs a fast track resolution. Honestly if you guys need help finding odd / broken game behaviours and mechanics I have no doubt we have a community that can do some of the heavy lifting, just give us a venue to help push that forward with out feeling that the only option is to resort to forum misdeeds. ;)

Thanks,
Husanak

Archived Post 03-15-2011 06:15 AM

Excellent post.
Although I prefer the Title PVP Representative.

Archived Post 03-15-2011 06:42 AM

Should be called The Emissary

Archived Post 03-15-2011 06:56 AM

Lol I prefer PvP Overseer.

Archived Post 03-15-2011 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artificialx
Should be called The Emissary

More correct one would be "The guy devs dont listen to"

Archived Post 03-15-2011 07:22 AM

Personally I think the person should be called me
:p

Archived Post 03-15-2011 09:01 AM

PvP Sergant at arms.

I think Czar and all I can think is the US drug Czar as an example and what a poor example it is.

Archived Post 03-15-2011 09:15 AM

Heh, too many czars in this country lately. It's a good idea but "director of PvP mechanics" or "supervisor of PvP game dynamics" or something would be better as a title.

With PvP pretty much being the only endgame, it would be appropriate.

Archived Post 03-15-2011 09:18 AM

His or her Avatar should be the see no evil, speak no evil say no evil monkeys.:D
How about" The Arbiter Of QQ" for a title?

Archived Post 03-15-2011 10:02 AM

If I find a way to make every player without exception 100% pleased and happy, I shall be a very rich Games Industry worker. ^^

You know there are Devs that specifically concern themselves with PvP. You have seen them on this very forum previously.

ANY and EVERY bug that gets reported and not immediately fixed bothers one player or another. That is a fact. Not only that, it bothers the heck out of QA and Developers - and that is a fact, too. No one likes to see their stuff isn't doing what you designed it to do, no one likes to see a problem but be unable to fix it.

A number of things need to be kept in mind at all times.

- Not every bug can be corrected at once.
Some of these ruddy things are hidden well, are in a tricky-to-reach place or have other problems connected to it. (I have experienced bugs that showed themselves in place A but actually were caused by place B.)

- Not everything can be corrected at once.
Sometimes the person who can correct a problem is tied up with something else which is much more critical. If the person who could fix an exploit is told there is a problem that disallows a great number of players to connect to the game, then their objective may be shifted. That does not devalue one matter in favour of another. It simply means that some things will bump back others.

- Just because it is quiet does not mean we're not reading.
Especially the PvP forums carry a language and behaviour that not everyone may feel welcoming or enjoy to be a part of. We read a great number of threads every day. I actually try to have focus days and read on specific topics. But will I post in every one? No. Sometimes a discussion is in good hands without me popping up. Because just as with the Prime Directive: Once I show myself, the thread WILL change. People will talk differently and not always do I want that.

Your feedback on these forums does not need a special hat or a shiny badge.
It only needs to follow the forum's rules so I don't have to become the WishStoneHulk. If you guys discuss something in a constructive, peaceful manner, you can bet that we're seeing it.
Just as we would if someone stomps in, kicks down the door and screams at everyone. But that would have a different outcome.