Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   Foundry EULA Question (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=209155)

Archived Post 03-28-2011 02:19 PM

Foundry EULA Question
 
Are names from ST books a no go? That is the impression I got, but a friend said he didn't think that is what it meant.

Like could I use Krenn, or Zharn, or Arrhea?

Archived Post 03-28-2011 03:52 PM

You can use those names, as long as they don't like like, or act like, the characters with those names.

For instance, if Krenn is a Bolian Female in the books, make Krenn a Bajoran Male in your mission.

Archived Post 03-28-2011 03:54 PM

Doesn't the EULA only apply to live action tv and movies? You can recreate any character from a book that doesn't have actor likeness rights, I think.

Actor likeness rights is the issue, not the character itself.

Archived Post 03-28-2011 03:58 PM

True, but better to err on the side of caution, in my opinion.

Archived Post 03-28-2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirkfat (Post 3460115)
Doesn't the EULA only apply to live action tv and movies? You can recreate any character from a book that doesn't have actor likeness rights, I think.

Actor likeness rights is the issue, not the character itself.

It says something about books in the EULA, like it excludes them from use or something. But would a name fall under that restriction? Or a better question would be could I use those CHARACTERS. Like could Krenn some how appear in a mission of time travel or something?

Archived Post 03-28-2011 04:25 PM

According to this:

**You may not use copyrighted content from the Properties, including but not limited to web content, promotional materials (posters, advertisements) or existing licensed merchandise (novels, trading cards, figurines). **

I would say, No.

Archived Post 03-28-2011 04:29 PM

I think recreating a book on Foundry would be a no-go. Using character names that are clearly from books is probably a no-go (as CBS has no rights to them).

But using canon characters (as long as they are not seen) should be fine.

Archived Post 03-28-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davejl_99 (Post 3460167)
According to this:

**You may not use copyrighted content from the Properties, including but not limited to web content, promotional materials (posters, advertisements) or existing licensed merchandise (novels, trading cards, figurines). **

I would say, No.

^- And that is the right answer.
Please be creative in everything you do. Do not loan or borrow from any previous author's work. many authors are quite protective of their material. I know I'd not be happy if someone I do not know runs with something I created, either.

Archived Post 03-28-2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WishStone
^- And that is the right answer.
Please be creative in everything you do. Do not loan or borrow from any previous author's work. many authors are quite protective of their material. I know I'd not be happy if someone I do not know runs with something I created, either.

Ok yes, (Thanks for the response BTW) but the Author is dead. John M. Ford.

I simply wanted to include, or talk about a character from The Final Reflection. But that's ok, I understand...

Archived Post 03-28-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martok42 (Post 3460371)
Ok yes, (Thanks for the response BTW) but the Author is dead. John M. Ford.

I simply wanted to include, or talk about a character from The Final Reflection. But that's ok, I understand...

Just name your Bolian Kreenn, lol.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:37 AM.