Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   How much time does a mission take you to do? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=210621)

Archived Post 04-08-2011 11:29 AM

How much time does a mission take you to do?

Out of curiosity, how much time does making a given mission in the Foundry take you, from start to finish? As a soon to be first-time author, I'm using mostly pre-made ground and space maps and it's still taking a long time to finish what will probably end up being a 20 minute mission.

So, how long does it take you to complete the average mission with the Foundry?

Archived Post 04-08-2011 11:40 AM

could be anything from 15-25 hours at a guestimate.

really depends on how involved it is, the level of detail, how fast you work, whether you have it planned out or make it up as you go.

Archived Post 04-08-2011 11:43 AM

Thanks Revo. That sounds about right I suppose. I guess with the frequency of people pumping out missions in just a few days, I was thinking to myself, how can people do that??

Btw, played one of your missions the other day I think, the one with the transwarp gate misfire. It was good times.

Archived Post 04-08-2011 11:56 AM

Captain Revo's quote is probably about right for me, on average, 15 - 25 hours. I tend to try the maps a lot though to try and catch things, and sometimes I get too nitpicky in terms of object placements, etc. My missions typically run the 20 - 30 min window as well. Some of it has to do with wrestling with the Foundry tools themselves... they're fairly limited and somewhat kludgy at the moment.

Archived Post 04-08-2011 11:56 AM

I have only done one mission on Foundry so far. It has taken me many days. Probably most of that was because I was still learning the system (still am). One thing that takes a lot of time is just playtesting and checking for simple things like grammar and spelling errors. Of course, I am surprised how many missions get by with such major mistakes.

Archived Post 04-08-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueEnterprise (Post 3481363)
Btw, played one of your missions the other day I think, the one with the transwarp gate misfire. It was good times.

thanks, glad you liked it.

Archived Post 04-08-2011 12:29 PM

I think it depends as everyone said on how detailed your going, wether you are going all guns blazing or are being methodical? Either dont worry about it. Just enjoy it. Thats what Im finding, the ability to make your own stories and stuff is immense

Archived Post 04-08-2011 06:29 PM

Authoring the mission can be alot of fun. I love doing it. What I didn't enjoy so much was hard porting them over from Tribble to Holodeck. :)

Archived Post 04-08-2011 08:00 PM

How fast I can complete a mission pretty-much depends on how well I am feeling, as I tend to get sick pretty often. ._.;

If I'm feeling good enough, I should be able to get one finished relatively quickly. My estimates are around a week at most.

Archived Post 04-09-2011 04:23 AM

How long does it take? It depends on the intent of the mission I'm creating.

I am currently working on three missions at the same time, e.g.

1. One is for my Klingon fleet. The mission is a continuation of the plot we play out in RP life. While I want it to have some details and some nice surprises and triggers, etc, for the sake of the flow of the story, I cannot spend like a month or months polishing it up. This type of mission takes me about 15-20 working hours. And, yes, I want non-fleet members to be able to play and enjoy them, too. Development time decreases with experience, so I guess by the time I publish number 4 of the series I will be much faster.

2. Intermezzos: This type of mission is not really a mission. It is a single scene once again made for our RP Fleet. It has some story around it so others can play it and know what's going on, but it is not intended for the general public.

3. Long term projects: Here, I just take all the time in the world, working slowly, building sets up in great details, etc. It probably will take a month before I hit the publish button on my first project of this type. I will only do so when and once I'm 100% happy with the results.

In the end we all just do it for the fun, so... Whatever time it takes is the right amount of time. ;)