Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Klingon Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   The KDF Needs Lethean Love (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=210829)

Archived Post 04-10-2011 08:26 AM

The KDF Needs Lethean Love
 
So, one species that still needs a lot of attention (I know...along with them all) are the Letheans. What do you picture them being like? How would their ships perform or look? What do we really know about them?

Well...we know they're telepathic, mercenaries for hire and very sneaky. To me this points to a style that would use heavy offensive science abilities along with cloak.

Lethean Outfits (sadly I can't find much...but they seem to dress similar to Klingons)

Altovar 1 2

Soto 1 2


Lethean Ships
(Since there are none, post your ideas of how they would look and what they would do)

I picture them being small, sleek, dark, pointed (like a Tholian ship but with wings) and small forward pointed spikes.

T5 Lethean Violator (Science)
Hull: 27,000
Turn: 14
Inertia: 50
Crew: 150
Weapon: 4/2 (can mount dual cannons)
Device Slots: 2
Cm: Sci
LtCm: Sci
LtCm: Tac
Lt: Eng
Eng: 2
Sci: 4
Tac: 3
Special 1: Comes with a Lethean BOff. The BOff has MES3 for LtCm. and an ability at Cm. called Telepathic Attack. (Telepathic Attack causes a 3 sec delay to all abilities for 10 sec. For example if you RSP, it takes 3 sec to engage. 1 min cooldown)
Special 2: Photonic Mirror (This will make two photonic copies of your ship. Just like Photonic Fleet, they will fire at targets but will cause minimal damage. Can be destroyed like any other photonic ship. Investing skills in Photonic Theory will increase hull and defense of photonics. Lasts 30 sec with a 3 min cooldown. Activation of this ability creates a similar effect of Scramble Sensors for 5 sec. Requires a console.)

Optional
Special 2:
Scramble Sensor Pulse (like Scramble Sensors but emanates from the ship. Last for 15 seconds but will pulse every 5 seconds. Each pulse reset targets. 1:30 cooldown. Scramble Sensors and Sensor Pulse use same global cooldown. Science Team has chance to counter. Equal to Scramble Sensors 3.)

Archived Post 04-10-2011 04:28 PM

I'm thinking it might be a little strong there, though its stats are an interesting blend. science hull, BoP weapons, Raptor manoeuvrability and a tac bent science seating roster. Might be a bit strong though.

If you wanted to keep the Boff seating in line with the Fed refits (the only ones that have alternate LtCom Boff slots) it would have to be: Com Sci - LtCom Tac - Lt Sci - Lt Engi - Ens Sci. swapping out a single ensign skill for a LtCom skill doesn't really match up in worth.

There is nothing to suggest the Leathians ever had cloak so its probably safer to leave them without it per say. This also sticks with the trend of only Klingon designed ships having cloak. However I do agree on the whole sneaky bit, maybe the ship could have an enhanced MES, basically a cloak in all but name and looks, even give it a name like 'Silent Running' maybe to distinguish it from MES.

Not sure about photonic mirror, to start with I don't think cryptic tech allows for the ships to look the same, just look at the MVAM, the borg and aegis parts don't follow the AI so its easy to tell which one has the player in it. So without the mirrors doing damage there would be practically no point to them. I like the concept, I just don't think cryptic are able to pull it off with their current tech.

I cringe at the telepathic attack idea just as much as the first time I saw it. It sounds like a good idea, different yet still similar to other science powers we have, kinda like sub nuke yet easier to deal with. the reason I cringe is becuase I doubt it would get a warm reception in PvP and the fed centric players would complain until it was nerfed into the ground and completely useless. Also don't know if cryptic tech can do it, a simpler yet just as unlikely to be liked option might be to have it do what the borg boarding teams do and set your abilities on random 3 second cooldowns.

I also assume that being science based it would have sensor analysis and target subsystems innately? I'm also guessing 3 device slots?
Personally I'd say that given its manoeuvrability, cut the target subsystems and give the ability to mount cannons. leave the sensor analysis (since the Leathians seem like the kind to do their homework a bit before rushing into a fight) and give them only two device slots.

Console slots is the last thing I'll raise. 2,3,4 with the number of specials you have on it (even if one is a console itself, personally I'd just cut the photonic mirror from the lineup) the stealth ability could be taken care of by only having two device slots, its how klingon cruisers get their cloak after all. but traditionally all special abilities strip a console slot, the only exception so far is the MVAM being a console itself. However I don't see the psychic attack as a console, its more crew than technology based. although I suppose it could be explained to work similar to the Romulan drone pilot from enterprise, a device integrated into the vessel that amplifies and transmits the telepathic signal... or something like that.

I'm quite in favour of a Leathian ship based on science, I actually made my KDF science officer a Leathian by using the same logic.

Oh also included in this 'Leathian love' should be the ability to have Leathian Boffs as currently none exist.

Archived Post 04-11-2011 06:46 AM

If it will increase the fun of KDF gameplay, I'm all for it.
More expansion of the races within the KDF is a good thing.

Archived Post 04-11-2011 09:17 AM

This is great feedback! Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatness (Post 3484847)
I'm thinking it might be a little strong there, though its stats are an interesting blend. science hull, BoP weapons, Raptor manoeuvrability and a tac bent science seating roster. Might be a bit strong though.

It is a little op, I think it still needs a few more tweaks. Although since it's not an escort, it wouldn't get the +maneuverability bonus, so it would be almost on par with the Luna (13 turn). This is basically a Luna with a modified Vo'quv BOff layout, less crew, more turn and forward facing weapon layout (4/2 instead of 3/3).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatness (Post 3484847)
If you wanted to keep the Boff seating in line with the Fed refits (the only ones that have alternate LtCom Boff slots) it would have to be: Com Sci - LtCom Tac - Lt Sci - Lt Engi - Ens Sci. swapping out a single ensign skill for a LtCom skill doesn't really match up in worth.

My main idea was making a build similar to the Vo'quv but switching the LtCm. Eng with the Lt. Sci. So basically the same BOff layout but with a LtCm. Sci instead of an Eng. This way it would keep to a unique KDF play style instead of a Fed copy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatness (Post 3484847)
There is nothing to suggest the Leathians ever had cloak so its probably safer to leave them without it per say. This also sticks with the trend of only Klingon designed ships having cloak. However I do agree on the whole sneaky bit, maybe the ship could have an enhanced MES, basically a cloak in all but name and looks, even give it a name like 'Silent Running' maybe to distinguish it from MES.

This is a very good point and I totally agree with you! When I first started with this build I thought about a similar idea to MES. I have an idea that I will add below cause it will also answer another point you made.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatness (Post 3484847)
Not sure about photonic mirror, to start with I don't think cryptic tech allows for the ships to look the same, just look at the MVAM, the borg and aegis parts don't follow the AI so its easy to tell which one has the player in it. So without the mirrors doing damage there would be practically no point to them. I like the concept, I just don't think cryptic are able to pull it off with their current tech.

I guess overall it could just be a basic copy of the Violator instead of the custom ship people would make. If Photonic Mirror came with a 5 second Scramble Sensors it should help with the confusion. Perhaps instead of no damage, it could have MK1 weapons, so the damage would be minimal? Perhaps skill points could boost the damage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatness (Post 3484847)
I cringe at the telepathic attack idea just as much as the first time I saw it. It sounds like a good idea, different yet still similar to other science powers we have, kinda like sub nuke yet easier to deal with. the reason I cringe is becuase I doubt it would get a warm reception in PvP and the fed centric players would complain until it was nerfed into the ground and completely useless. Also don't know if cryptic tech can do it, a simpler yet just as unlikely to be liked option might be to have it do what the borg boarding teams do and set your abilities on random 3 second cooldowns.

Other good points (about game engine and PvPers) and I'm not sure if either would accept it. The idea of a Lethean officer telepathically attacking the target's captain to either effect his judgment or lag his decision sounds kinda cool.

I'll try to tweak it :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatness (Post 3484847)
I also assume that being science based it would have sensor analysis and target subsystems innately? I'm also guessing 3 device slots?
Personally I'd say that given its manoeuvrability, cut the target subsystems and give the ability to mount cannons. leave the sensor analysis (since the Leathians seem like the kind to do their homework a bit before rushing into a fight) and give them only two device slots.

I agree, I left out Target Subs to allow for more difference between the Fed and KDF Science ships. Although it would come with Sensor Analysis. Dual cannons would be mountable as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatness (Post 3484847)
Console slots is the last thing I'll raise. 2,3,4 with the number of specials you have on it (even if one is a console itself, personally I'd just cut the photonic mirror from the lineup) the stealth ability could be taken care of by only having two device slots, its how klingon cruisers get their cloak after all. but traditionally all special abilities strip a console slot, the only exception so far is the MVAM being a console itself. However I don't see the psychic attack as a console, its more crew than technology based. although I suppose it could be explained to work similar to the Romulan drone pilot from enterprise, a device integrated into the vessel that amplifies and transmits the telepathic signal... or something like that.

I'm quite in favour of a Leathian ship based on science, I actually made my KDF science officer a Leathian by using the same logic.

Oh also included in this 'Leathian love' should be the ability to have Leathian Boffs as currently none exist.

I figured I would do the same thing to the consoles that I did for the BOffs, match the Vo'quv but switch the Eng. with the Tac (same as Luna). I'll have to review the build a little more.

As for not having Lethean BOffs, what if instead of the ship getting Psychic Attack, purchase of the ship comes with a Lethean Science Officer that has both LtCm. MES3 and an ability at Cm. Psychic Attack? This would remove the ships cloak from the build...but the Lethean BOff would come with the rare MES3 and give us a Lethean BOff that we have yet to get.

Archived Post 04-11-2011 05:36 PM

As a person who actually likes the Letheans and plays/roleplays one, I support this idea. I believe I spoke earlier to DStahl about the Letheans being a "5th wheel" race (Other friends of mine have referred to them as an "afterthought"), and he mentioned that there would be some stories developed that centered around them. Unfortunately, he also said that they were unlikely to add ships...

However, this is a great idea. I'm hoping a dev will read it, and decide to actually make it a reality :D

Archived Post 04-11-2011 07:25 PM

I think you may be onto something shifting those abilities to a Boff, that way if you want those abilities you have to sacrifice higher level science skills rather then 'nerfing' the ship for having three abilities.

I'm still not really convinced on the photonic mirror though. However I did have an idea based on the 5 sec scramble part of it.
Why not make that the ability in itself, a 5 km burst of scramble sensors around the Violator, kind of like an ECM. So for examples sake, same duration as scramble sensors and the same effect but emitting from the ship instead of the probe that is fired with scramble sensors. Maybe with a secondary effect of disabling HY plasma/tricobalt torpedoes and mines in the blast radius. Slap on a 2-3 minute cooldown and there's a 10 minute brainstorm that would fit on a console.

Aside from the ship since the Devs want kdf to have separate uniforms available to its races rather than crossing them like starfleet do, a half decent facsimile of those images you posted could be made just by re-texturing the standard kdf uniform, maybe add a new shoulder pad option for the one in the image with Quark. Not a perfect option but one that would save some time and still get something 'new' out.

It's somewhat of a shame that some stories is all we might be able to look forward to in the way of Leathians for the near future, some uniforms could probably be slipped in under the radar but a ship built more or less entirely from scratch when so many others are already lined up...

Eh doesn't hurt to brainstorm and plant seeds at least. Besides, its fun.

Archived Post 04-12-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGoblin256 (Post 3486867)
As a person who actually likes the Letheans and plays/roleplays one, I support this idea. I believe I spoke earlier to DStahl about the Letheans being a "5th wheel" race (Other friends of mine have referred to them as an "afterthought"), and he mentioned that there would be some stories developed that centered around them. Unfortunately, he also said that they were unlikely to add ships...

However, this is a great idea. I'm hoping a dev will read it, and decide to actually make it a reality :D

Well thank you! I think if they could at least have 2 or 3 uniforms, 1 mercenary style asteroid base and a ship I would be happy. Although I do love the idea of them being kind a rare and mysterious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatness (Post 3487015)
I think you may be onto something shifting those abilities to a Boff, that way if you want those abilities you have to sacrifice higher level science skills rather then 'nerfing' the ship for having three abilities.

Very true, on top of that you could use them on another ship if you wanted to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatness (Post 3487015)
I'm still not really convinced on the photonic mirror though. However I did have an idea based on the 5 sec scramble part of it.
Why not make that the ability in itself, a 5 km burst of scramble sensors around the Violator, kind of like an ECM. So for examples sake, same duration as scramble sensors and the same effect but emitting from the ship instead of the probe that is fired with scramble sensors. Maybe with a secondary effect of disabling HY plasma/tricobalt torpedoes and mines in the blast radius. Slap on a 2-3 minute cooldown and there's a 10 minute brainstorm that would fit on a console.

Hmmm....I kinda like that. Kind of like a continual Scramble Sensor Pulse that emanates from the ship! Maybe it could last for 15 seconds but pulse 3 times. Each pulse would reset the targets. Science Team could counter it. Of course that depends on Aux either ships and the level of Sci Team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatness (Post 3487015)
Aside from the ship since the Devs want kdf to have separate uniforms available to its races rather than crossing them like starfleet do, a half decent facsimile of those images you posted could be made just by re-texturing the standard kdf uniform, maybe add a new shoulder pad option for the one in the image with Quark. Not a perfect option but one that would save some time and still get something 'new' out.

Ya they are very close.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatness (Post 3487015)
It's somewhat of a shame that some stories is all we might be able to look forward to in the way of Leathians for the near future, some uniforms could probably be slipped in under the radar but a ship built more or less entirely from scratch when so many others are already lined up...

I had no idea about that, but ya a few uniforms and maybe a ship could do them justice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatness (Post 3487015)
Eh doesn't hurt to brainstorm and plant seeds at least. Besides, its fun.

I love theory crafting! Plus...I'm sure more than a few things were put into game that were first posted on the forums.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:17 PM.