Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   "Micro-transactions" that cost more than the game itself? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=211035)

Archived Post 04-11-2011 04:13 PM

"Micro-transactions" that cost more than the game itself?
 
I can understand having a game store, but how can they charge more for some of the items than the amount of money it costs to buy the game itself? Yes, I know the game has depreciated in price quite a bit, but there are items that still cost more than the monthly subscription.

Archived Post 04-11-2011 04:41 PM

Well, the cost is SUPPOSED to reflect how much it cost +some profit of that particular item. But thats not really the way it works. But I'm ok w/ a really ridiculously placed ship in-game being expensive. It cuts down on their numbers in game.

Archived Post 04-11-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavilier210 (Post 3486878)
Well, the cost is SUPPOSED to reflect how much it cost +some profit of that particular item. But thats not really the way it works. But I'm ok w/ a really ridiculously placed ship in-game being expensive. It cuts down on their numbers in game.

The number of them in-game shouldn't matter, since they're not SUPPOSED to be any better than anything you can get without emblem grind or paying real money.

I mean, yeah, they ARE better, but isn't that just splitting hairs? Let's face it. This game costs more than box sales and sub fees combined.

Archived Post 04-11-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courage_Wolf
I can understand having a game store, but how can they charge more for some of the items than the amount of money it costs to buy the game itself? Yes, I know the game has depreciated in price quite a bit, but there are items that still cost more than the monthly subscription.

there's a few items that cost more then the game when the game was brand new, so point still valid.

Archived Post 04-11-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedidethfreak (Post 3487140)
The number of them in-game shouldn't matter, since they're not SUPPOSED to be any better than anything you can get without emblem grind or paying real money.

I mean, yeah, they ARE better, but isn't that just splitting hairs? Let's face it. This game costs more than box sales and sub fees combined.

Well it does probably cost, if not more, then at least close to as much, to run as they get now.

But that is their own fault, and doing what they are doing now will ultimately just drive more people away, and has already done so.

What Cryptic doesn't seem to realize is that by focusing this much time on the C-store will just make more ppl angry and leave.

What they should do is scrap any and all plans for any future c-store items and focus 100% of all their staff on making a proper REAL content patch.

Because we have yet to get one "season" patch that has had much of any new real content in them.

Archived Post 04-11-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorgald (Post 3487155)
there's a few items that cost more then the game when the game was brand new, so point still valid.

There is not any one item on the c-store that cost more than the game did when it was brand new.

Archived Post 04-11-2011 09:47 PM

yeah, I want to know where you got such a good deal on the game when it came out. My copy was $60, the next cheapest edition was still like $30. there's nothing in the C-store even approaching those prices that I know of.

Archived Post 04-12-2011 08:50 AM

Agreed in that nothing in C-Store approaches the original game price. However, nothing in the C-Store should approach a monthly subscription price either and there are multiple items that do that. I wouldn't mind C-Store prices being where they are if the game was F2P, but subscriptions (or for me the original lifer price) + the existing c-store prices is a bit out of hand.

Archived Post 04-12-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorgald (Post 3487170)
But that is their own fault, and doing what they are doing now will ultimately just drive more people away, and has already done so.

What Cryptic doesn't seem to realize is that by focusing this much time on the C-store will just make more ppl angry and leave.

Unfortunately, this is the truth. Too many people have left the game because of the C-Store. Not enough to hurt the company, though, so I doubt this will go away any time soon.

Quote:

What they should do is scrap any and all plans for any future c-store items and focus 100% of all their staff on making a proper REAL content patch.

Because we have yet to get one "season" patch that has had much of any new real content in them.
I 110% agree.

EDIT: About the "some items are as expensive as the game when it first launched", I call BS on that. Even the cheapest copy that you could get was more expensive than the Galaxy-X (the most costly item up on the C-Store).

Archived Post 04-12-2011 02:49 PM

While micro-transactions remain OPTIONAL they can charge whatever they like without any need to justify it. Why? Because they aren't forcing you to buy them.

Just like buying a new pair of shoes. If you don't like them you don't buy them. Don't think they are worth that much money? Don't buy them.

Same theory applies here.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:32 AM.