Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Mission Database (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215)
-   -   Leviathan99's Debut Live Server Episode: "Currents Turned Awry" (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=211068)

Archived Post 04-11-2011 11:04 PM

Leviathan99's Debut Live Server Episode: "Currents Turned Awry"

Mission Name: Currents Turned Awry
Project ID: ST-HU3VYIP77
Faction: Federation
Levels: 41+

In short, this one has a decent number of puzzles and gimmicks. It has plenty of Trek references (some dialogs have over 50 variations). Your first playthrough may take some time (and I'll guarantee there's enough easter eggs that you can go back and find new things) but it's also probably a pretty efficient way to grind Borg.

It's probably the most "fan pleasing" mission I could come up with at this point. Lots of alternate ways to do things. LOTS of Trek references. A familiar ship. Characters who might seem familiar without violating the EULA.

It's definitely an episode in the Brannon Braga "anomaly of the week" school of Trek. That said, I think there's some humor and heart underneath the references and Treknobabble.

I've playtested it to be pretty robust but some of the tricks I'm using are bound to cause issues in some weird multiplayer scenarios. (Terran altering will always cause this problem without forced "teleports" to keep all team members synched or client-side/player-based phasing so that terrain and enemies only spawn for someone at the right progression point.) That said, while I think you probably can get lost in some of the text mazes, you'll find that I have failsafes to keep you on track if you wander too far.

Let me know what you think!

Archived Post 04-12-2011 06:54 AM

I look forward to giving this a playthrough... I love puzzles and am curious about the gimmicks you used :)

Archived Post 04-12-2011 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leviathan99
MIn short, this one has a decent number of puzzles and gimmicks. It has plenty of Trek references (some dialogs have over 50 variations). Your first playthrough may take some time (and I'll guarantee there's enough easter eggs that you can go back and find new things) but it's also probably a pretty efficient way to grind Borg.

This part worries me. Does this mean you have to kill alot of Borg drones, or it there a way around that?

Archived Post 04-12-2011 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus (Post 3487665)
This part worries me. Does this mean you have to kill alot of Borg drones, or it there a way around that?

There are ways around most of the ground combat, either through luck or skill or letting friendly NPCs do work for you. Once you know what to do or not to do, the mission gets dramatically shorter on replay.

Your first time through, it may take about as long as a Featured Episode and you might find it challenging. I can get through it in about 10 minutes, because I know all the tricks, some of which come through exploring dialogue.

There is, for example, a password you need to proceed at one point. Getting it may require killing 15 Borg (3 groups). If you already know it, you don't have to. If you're lucky and pick the right consoles, you don't have to. If you know which consoles are safe to use, you don't have to.

The space combat is less optional but it should be pretty challenging if you make the wrong choices.

Archived Post 04-12-2011 08:10 AM

I'm still in the middle of playing this mission at this moment, and I had to pause to say how much I'm enjoying it so far.

EDIT: Okay. Finished the mission, trying to avoid spoilers. It was excellent. I absolutely loved it, even with the glitches (I was forced to reload once after an option to consult my bridge officers lead to the contact vanishing). The transitions were excellent, the dialogue was excellent and the characterization was good. Optional information was plentiful and easy to obtain, and the "puzzles" were well done. I can see I'm going to have to play through at least once more to see options I couldn't take on my first play-through.

Archived Post 04-12-2011 09:32 AM

Sounds really intresting, i am going to take note and play it this nigth with fleetmates.

Archived Post 04-12-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naju (Post 3487737)
I'm still in the middle of playing this mission at this moment, and I had to pause to say how much I'm enjoying it so far.

EDIT: Okay. Finished the mission, trying to avoid spoilers. It was excellent. I absolutely loved it, even with the glitches (I was forced to reload once after an option to consult my bridge officers lead to the contact vanishing). The transitions were excellent, the dialogue was excellent and the characterization was good. Optional information was plentiful and easy to obtain, and the "puzzles" were well done. I can see I'm going to have to play through at least once more to see options I couldn't take on my first play-through.

Thanks! Do you remember where in the mission you were when the contact disappeared?

Archived Post 04-12-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerritouru (Post 3487864)
Sounds really intresting, i am going to take note and play it this nigth with fleetmates.

I tried to lead everyone to the same places but I'll caution you that two parts may be a bit weird if people don't stick fairly close together, which is what happens with massive terrain editing.

Archived Post 04-12-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Thanks! Do you remember where in the mission you were when the contact disappeared?

On the Holodeck, the Admiral offered me the chance to confer with my BOs, then vanished. I had to reload, because it wouldn't allow me to advance... In addition, it was cool fighting alongside Captain Rozhenko on the bridge, but the Borg wound up killing him right in front of me during the battle, which was a little weird.

Are you planning a sequel?

*goes off to play again, to find out what happens on the other dialogue options*

Archived Post 04-12-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naju (Post 3488458)
On the Holodeck, the Admiral offered me the chance to confer with my BOs, then vanished. I had to reload, because it wouldn't allow me to advance... In addition, it was cool fighting alongside Captain Rozhenko on the bridge, but the Borg wound up killing him right in front of me during the battle, which was a little weird.

Are you planning a sequel?

*goes off to play again, to find out what happens on the other dialogue options*

Huh. That's interesting. I just couldn't resist having him actually fight, which he couldn't do as a simple mission contact. I know it creates problems when people go back to their idle animations. (Regarding Rozhenko.)

With the Admiral, I'm very confused as contacts shouldn't be able to just vanish like that. I do know AoE damage can kill them but this makes me suspect there's a bug outside my control.

Oh... And there is a way to get through the whole thing without ground combat, although for the last fight, that requires letting your "friends" do all the fighting. I'm thinking maybe the friendly NPCs there should be an option that only shows up if you read Holloway's logs before entering the holodeck.

You can get off the bridge without combat, though.

I'd like deeper puzzles but I'm a fan, overall, of careful thinking and reading comprehension being things that lower difficulty while really aggressive play will get you less text and more combat.

So you can spend five minutes on dialog boxes or you can spend five minutes fighting and either one will resolve the situation.

And while it's purely indulgent on my part, I had a lot of fun writing the astrophysicist's personal log. I'm curious how many people will see that. I thought about burying it deeper but I spent a couple of days on this mission and I know the bridge dialogs go pretty deep as it is.