Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   A bit bored sometimes... (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=211644)

Archived Post 04-16-2011 10:17 AM

A bit bored sometimes...
 
The least I can say is that when I buy a game, moreover, when I must then PAY TO PLAY IT, I want it to be PLAYABLE, and not completely weird.

Today...I found the game both non playable and totally weird.

Let me explain why...

1 : Doing the Mirror Universe mission onboard Deep Space Nine. You must deactivate some devices protected by small groups of enemies. Fair. Problem is that when half of your team get stuck with an enemy INTO the stairs...they cannot move, they cannot attack, you cannot help them...and maybe because they're is still an enemy alive, you cannot de-activate the device. So you cannot complete the mission, you must restart the whole (it was the last device for me...).

2 : When I see an episode of Star Trek, Phaser rifles kill. Mine doesn't, at least not before lots and lots and lots of shots...on the weakest guy with no shields. Why can't we simply oneshot the weak guys, with stronger leaders ?

3 : By the way, I took a look at the enemy stuck with my BOff into the stairs...he had nearly 1000 hit points, for a Mirror Soldier, which is the weakest of these enemies. Problem is that I don't have more than 670 HP. Are they Space Marines or something ?

4 : When I level up, I have a new ship with more weapons...But nothing change : I was already capable of taking down a Negh Var, or a complete BOP attack squadron...When you are Lieutenant, or Lt Cmdr, you should only face small or older ships...Not pityfull Negh Vars...Cause then you don't feel like being more powerful with your better ship, cause you do exactly what you were able to do before leveling...

Last but not least, I don't do PvP cause you have to wait at least 10-15 minutes to play, so I do PvE...But for my Klingon...it's not easy...the missions are always exactly the same...should put some more PvE missions for Klinks.

Thanks for reading.

Archived Post 04-16-2011 10:42 AM

and when you melee fight, your shirt needs to rip.
and all outdoor areas must look like northern california

Archived Post 04-16-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinceSTO (Post 3494761)
Last but not least, I don't do PvP cause you have to wait at least 10-15 minutes to play

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~<GM Jahia>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archived Post 04-16-2011 11:04 AM

''Not pityfull Negh Vars...Cause then you don't feel like being more powerful with your better ship, cause you do exactly what you were able to do before leveling...''

With all due respect, this is the ONLY part in your post that i agree with. Taking down a Neg*var and her support fleet in one of my pitiful ships really seems like overkill.
I would much rather that they would replace the ''lower tier / lower level'' Neg'vars with an older model, while still keeping the ''higher tier'' Neg'vars around.
*BUT, it is no big deal to me, just a minor annoyance:)

Archived Post 04-16-2011 01:50 PM

#1 and #3 happen in almost all MMO's. If stats bother you ignore them. Let me ask you this, in RL how many hitpoints do you have?

For #2, this is because in STO timeline they have invented personal shields. It's pretty reasonable explanation and fits with the way weapons work.

I agree with #4, if I can take down any Neg'var in a Miranda, why are we still at war with the Klinks? With level binding available, they should have scaled the enemy ships you fight based on your level / difficulty settings. It would make mission replay a lot more interesting as well.

Archived Post 04-16-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinceSTO (Post 3494761)
1 : Doing the Mirror Universe mission onboard Deep Space Nine. You must deactivate some devices protected by small groups of enemies. Fair. Problem is that when half of your team get stuck with an enemy INTO the stairs...they cannot move, they cannot attack, you cannot help them...and maybe because they're is still an enemy alive, you cannot de-activate the device. So you cannot complete the mission, you must restart the whole (it was the last device for me...).

It's rare that a MMO can eradicate all gameplay bugs, though the devs do try. Submit a bug report if you didn't already.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinceSTO (Post 3494761)
2 : When I see an episode of Star Trek, Phaser rifles kill. Mine doesn't, at least not before lots and lots and lots of shots...on the weakest guy with no shields. Why can't we simply oneshot the weak guys, with stronger leaders ?

There's a huuge ground combat revamp coming which I personally hope will address this. I agree rifles in the 25th century should be 1-shot-kill weapons like they always were in Star Trek. Unfortunately the Devs realized that gound combat would be way too fast is it obeyed canon and they decided that ground weapons should work like every other ground based mmo. No devastating 1-shots... just a little health drop here, a little health shaved off there.. ******mit I'm making myself angry at Cryptic now.

But you CAN mitigate this in some ways. What you need are officers who EXPOSE targets a lot. Science officers are best at this. Load them up with expose powers and give all your officers split beam rifles. Then watch as you burn down whole groups of exposed enemies in seconds. It works great for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinceSTO (Post 3494761)
3 : By the way, I took a look at the enemy stuck with my BOff into the stairs...he had nearly 1000 hit points, for a Mirror Soldier, which is the weakest of these enemies. Problem is that I don't have more than 670 HP. Are they Space Marines or something ?

Se above. Cryptic wants to draw out combat to feel like you're whacking targets with rubber bats and shooting them with nerf guns, like World of ********.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinceSTO (Post 3494761)
4 : When I level up, I have a new ship with more weapons...But nothing change : I was already capable of taking down a Negh Var, or a complete BOP attack squadron...When you are Lieutenant, or Lt Cmdr, you should only face small or older ships...Not pityfull Negh Vars...Cause then you don't feel like being more powerful with your better ship, cause you do exactly what you were able to do before leveling...

NPC ships level up too. You could use your old ship but you'll find as you level up, it will no longer be as effective against npcs at your level.

That's why I can obliterate a Level 5 Negh'Var in two seconds with my T5 ship, but a level 55 Negh'Var will take a little longer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinceSTO (Post 3494761)
Last but not least, I don't do PvP cause you have to wait at least 10-15 minutes to play, so I do PvE...But for my Klingon...it's not easy...the missions are always exactly the same...should put some more PvE missions for Klinks.

Agreed, PvP is utterly inadequate in this game and not work bothering with until they fix it, add more maps, etc. Hell I'd go so far as to say PvP is worthless because it changes nothing. If PvP affected the actual game world, and involved conquering and defending territory, I'd love it and do nothing else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green117 (Post 3494786)
Oh the horror

10-15 minutes waiting time for PvP is unacceptable in any MMO. Therefore you've been reported for your disrespect towards a person with legitimate concern.

Archived Post 04-16-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinceSTO (Post 3494761)
The least I can say is that when I buy a game, moreover, when I must then PAY TO PLAY IT, I want it to be PLAYABLE, and not completely weird.

Today...I found the game both non playable and totally weird.

Let me explain why...

1 : Doing the Mirror Universe mission onboard Deep Space Nine. You must deactivate some devices protected by small groups of enemies. Fair. Problem is that when half of your team get stuck with an enemy INTO the stairs...they cannot move, they cannot attack, you cannot help them...and maybe because they're is still an enemy alive, you cannot de-activate the device. So you cannot complete the mission, you must restart the whole (it was the last device for me...).

Report it so they can fix it. I know it's frustrating but it's difficult to find an MMO without bugs but if you send a tickt it'll help squash them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinceSTO (Post 3494761)
2 : When I see an episode of Star Trek, Phaser rifles kill. Mine doesn't, at least not before lots and lots and lots of shots...on the weakest guy with no shields. Why can't we simply oneshot the weak guys, with stronger leaders ?.

Yet if you 1-shot large amounts of enemies you'd have a pretty boring game even with stronger squad leaders. If you made the game more challenging by increasing the enemies weapons to be as effective as that 1-ahot rifle you'll end up with an incredibly annoying hit-and-miss style gameplay. Thee's some things that have to change slightly for it to make sense as a game, particularly an RPG style MMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinceSTO (Post 3494761)
3 : By the way, I took a look at the enemy stuck with my BOff into the stairs...he had nearly 1000 hit points, for a Mirror Soldier, which is the weakest of these enemies. Problem is that I don't have more than 670 HP. Are they Space Marines or something ?.

That enemy may have more HP but you have somthing it doesn't, a brain. You have al the advantages that make that extra few hundred HP pretty much meaningless. You don't wanna make things too easy because then you'll end up with boring gameplay just like if you could 1-shot enemies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinceSTO (Post 3494761)
4 : When I level up, I have a new ship with more weapons...But nothing change : I was already capable of taking down a Negh Var, or a complete BOP attack squadron...When you are Lieutenant, or Lt Cmdr, you should only face small or older ships...Not pityfull Negh Vars...Cause then you don't feel like being more powerful with your better ship, cause you do exactly what you were able to do before leveling....

Kinda agree here in somes ways but then Star Trek storylines often have the underdog up against tough odd's and coming out on top, think of it that way. As you level you'll get access to new skills and ships with more firepower, then that Negh'var is gonna level and get tougher meaning you'll need those extra skills and firepower from better ships. Though if you find that's not the case, you can always turn the difficulty up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinceSTO (Post 3494761)
Last but not least, I don't do PvP cause you have to wait at least 10-15 minutes to play, so I do PvE...But for my Klingon...it's not easy...the missions are always exactly the same...should put some more PvE missions for Klinks.

Thanks for reading.

Totally agree here, PVP isn't up to scratch and I end up limiting myself to 1v1 challenges.

On the whole I enjoy the game and have been since open beta. I've seen my share of bugs and been annoyed at times but then I get that in any MMO I play (except WoW cause I try to play it and get bored outta my skull in minutes).

Archived Post 04-16-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis (Post 3494964)
10-15 minutes waiting time for PvP is unacceptable in any MMO. Therefore you've been reported for your disrespect towards a person with legitimate concern.

Seriously? 10-15 minutes is an unacceptable waiting time for PvP? You really haven't played many, if any MMO's i take it. I find this truly bizarre. I also find it quite strange since you claim i was being disrespectful to a legitimate concern. 10-15 minutes of queuing is a legitimate concern now? I do find this a little over the top, as do i find this feeling that you need to report. i would love to understand the scale of what you deem disrespectful compared to something truly hateful. A little sad really, but only my opinion on the matter.

You say PvP is broken but some of us are having an incredible fun time after a little 5-15 minute queue, which is really peanuts in terms of waiting in the grand scheme of things. Had you been around for the early days of WoW and its 40 minute minimum wait and up to 2 and a half hour queues, just how would you have managed? I think its a complete and utter cop out if you haven't got the patience to wait that long, and i sympathise. I really do. I wonder if you have even touched Space PvP, instead formulating opinions solely off other people. Though i am sure this is not the case, but to suggest, if that is what you are doing about the mechanics of PvP being broken, i do disagree. Had you seen the matches that we had tonight, you would have been amazed. Truly incredible, and in the end, everyone on both sides were in total agreement.

PvP isn't broken, there is just no point to it other than fun right now. Rewards are limited and usually people are far geared past what can be claimed already at VA/Lt Gen. There needs to be a separate Resilence-styled gear, similar to Borg and Aegis, covering each class (Sci, Tact, Eng) along with Impluse, Deflectors, Shields and perhaps a Console. These, like the Borg and Aegis sets would have visual cosmetics, (with the option to turn off of course) along with PvP set bonus's. Against PvE geared players, there was be a noticeable difference in terms of survivability. More maps isn't going to fix an unrewarded system. Some players are PvP'er by nature, and i imagine they want a ship that represents this and looks the part.
I'm just going at this briefly from a WoW perspective, since this is what i was use to and playing this since June 2005, i have seen their PvP implementation go from strength to strength. Add new Tiered gear every few seasons. Have a ranked Arena Season that allows for a greater set of gear (play so many games with your team or randoms a week to be eligible). Gear would be obtainable through Marks, along with perhaps a rating system for the higher Tier of gear.

I am under no illusion this will be done tomorrow, but in time i would love to see more love given to Space PvP (Ground PvP will likely look better after Season 4 hits). There is nothing quite like Space PvP in anything i have played. With a few good teams going against each other, it is simply epic, and at times needs to be seen to be believed.

I will agree with one point you made though. I too would love to see some form of actual territorial control, whereby control of this might open up a sector with dailys or even Fleet Action type event for those who are victorious. Reset times could be every 6 hours or longer, depending on the content made available inside.

And please don't be so quick to assume i was being disrespectful. I was merely being pedantic, and looking at the idea of a 10-15 minute queue, i would suggest that i was not the only one being pedantic about this either.

Archived Post 04-16-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis
10-15 minutes waiting time for PvP is unacceptable in any MMO. Therefore you've been reported for your disrespect towards a person with legitimate concern.

Really?

I guess we know where all those spurious, heavy-handed, unmeditated acts of excessive moderation get their reports from, then.

Archived Post 04-16-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green117 (Post 3494786)
Oh the horror

I agree, but not for the same reason. If my PvP queue waits were that short in STO, I wouldn't be anywhere near as mad at this game as I am. I'm lucky if I get in a match within an hour.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:14 AM.