Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   Adding anomalies to Foundry missions (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=211928)

Archived Post 04-18-2011 05:32 PM

Adding anomalies to Foundry missions

With the upcoming Foundry daily people will finally be able to do some leveling with the Foundry. However, it would also be really great to be able to collect a few anomalies while doing your missions, like you can with official missions.

As far as I can see it, there are 2 main concerns with this:

1) Farming

2) Anomalies in places the author doesnt want them on their map

My solution to the first is to to give the author no control of the amount of anomalies that spawn on their map. My solution to the second is to give the author an option whether to have anomalies randomly spawn on their map or not. If the author thinks having anomalies on this map will cause a problem, he can simply turn them off.

Thoughts?

Archived Post 04-18-2011 06:04 PM

Most Exploration clusters have 3 per map (excluding the "scan 5 anomaly" ones).

Why not allow each author to have a 2 per custom map limit (and no more than 5 per mission)? Perhaps with an invisible bounding volume that prevents other anomalies from being placed nearby?

Archived Post 04-18-2011 06:08 PM

I'd l;ike a system like the one where you place enemy groups.

You place like 5 or 6 enemies with each group, but depending on the level of the player, only 3 or 4 might actually appear.

A singular "anomaly" group (max, one per map) would be awesome. With say 2-5 anomalies total showing up per published mission (based on complexity).. you could place these locator group items on every single map, and a random algorithm would determine how many anomalies to place per map. (up to the mission maximum) The author could, in this way, set all the POSSIBLE locations for anomalies.. but would have no control over IF they would appear, or which places were going to be used

Making a mission with 5 maps, with anomaly groups placed on them, could result in one anomaly per map, or 5 anomalies on one map... but I would assume that such a system would strive to evenly distribute anomalies across all maps in the mission, with locations set.

likewise, the author couldn't control how "rich" the rewards would be, and to keep it fair, wouldn't be able to specify "all physical" or "all energy". perhaps the richness in terms of quantity and particle rarity, could be related to the mission's peer rating scores.

Archived Post 04-18-2011 07:08 PM

I think this is a great idea. But I'd say just let us place anomaly locations anywhere, but limit the amount per map to 2 or 3. I don't see this as abusable because it's extremely hard to beat simply farming in the exploration areas. Even if you were to put 3 anomalies on one map right on top of each other, once you take into account the map loading time, you're coming out behind simply scanning in the Zenas Expanse, etc.

Archived Post 04-19-2011 02:48 PM

I agree with some of the replies; allow the author to place the anomalies, but limit the number that can be placed. Also, now that we have confirmation emblems are being added, anomalies will be the last thing needed to truly make the Foundry missions a real alternative to official missions :)

Archived Post 04-19-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus (Post 3499792)
I agree with some of the replies; allow the author to place the anomalies, but limit the number that can be placed. Also, now that we have confirmation emblems are being added, anomalies will be the last thing needed to truly make the Foundry missions a real alternative to official missions :)

I'd love to be able to place the two to three anomalies per map in certain locations. Random generation runs the risk of putting one in a building the player cannot reach.

I don't think farming would be an issue. Just limit them to no more than two per space map and no more than three per ground map with no more than five total per project.

Archived Post 04-19-2011 03:03 PM

I think this could be cool, I definitely would want to be able to place them though. It could see some way of trying to work those "anomalies" into the storyline too.

Overall, definitely a good idea :)

Archived Post 04-19-2011 03:04 PM

I could see this as an optional reward if nothing else. For my money, I'd like a half hour cooldown Foundry wrapper mission (perhaps limited to missions the devs choose for a spotlight) where the rewards are:

A grab bag ("General Provisions") with a chance of containing:
- Anomalies
- A diplomatic XP-granting item
- A skill point bonus

*OR*

A space grab bag ("Ship Provisions") with chance of containing:
- Space consumables
- Rarely, consoles, weapons, and other ship components

*OR*

A ground grab bag ("Away Team Provisions")
- Ground consumables
- Rarely, away team shields and weapons, including melee weapons so we aren't solely relying on Colosseum or crafting.

Archived Post 04-19-2011 03:05 PM

One thought regarding a Featured Mission Wrapper:

If the tech exists, the reward quality/chance of rare items might go up with infrequent turn-ins and go down with repeated turn-ins.

Archived Post 04-19-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I could see this as an optional reward if nothing else. For my money, I'd like a half hour cooldown Foundry wrapper mission (perhaps limited to missions the devs choose for a spotlight) where the rewards are:
A grab bag ("General Provisions") with a chance of containing:
- Anomalies
- A diplomatic XP-granting item
- A skill point bonus

This is the only way I can see anomaly rewards being added to foundry missions. If they are randomly placed on the map, then there is a chance that they can spawn in an unreachable area. If they can be specifically placed by a mission author, then they can be easily farmed and throw the current crafting system out of balance.

As a side note, I would love to see them added as dummy objects in the foundry just to use the mini-game. Compensating a for phase variance is hard to explain through a popup dialog :)