Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   Rather than re-skinning NPCs, how about "set allegiance"? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=212141)

Archived Post 04-20-2011 07:38 AM

Rather than re-skinning NPCs, how about "set allegiance"?

Pretty straight forward idea: rather than having to reskin NPCs if you want to fight NPCs that are supposed to be your friends, why not add an option to NPC groups to "set allegiance"?

Archived Post 04-20-2011 07:56 AM

This is a good idea. In fact I think the whole NPC system needs to be overhauled.

I'd like to be able to set the allegiance, costume, number and level of actors, along with their fighting style (Borg, Klingon, Devidian, etc). I'd also like to set animations on a per-actor basis too and would LOVE the ability to set waypoints to control the pathing for NPC wander functions.

I really like the Foundry, it's a great set of tools with enormous potential. I look forward to seeing them polished up. Considering where v0.5 is, I can't imagine what we'll have once v1.0 comes out :)

Archived Post 04-20-2011 07:56 AM

I'd like this...

But I'd also like them to take the time to do this in a way that allows allegiance (and idle emotes) to change with triggers.

Archived Post 04-20-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trueheart
This is a good idea. In fact I think the whole NPC system needs to be overhauled.

I'd like to be able to set the allegiance, costume, number and level of actors, along with their fighting style (Borg, Klingon, Devidian, etc). I'd also like to set animations on a per-actor basis too and would LOVE the ability to set waypoints to control the pathing for NPC wander functions.

I really like the Foundry, it's a great set of tools with enormous potential. I look forward to seeing them polished up. Considering where v0.5 is, I can't imagine what we'll have once v1.0 comes out :)

This raises the flipside of this:

Instead of setting allegience, we could always set fighting style. That might be simpler and more intuitive from a coding standpoint if not an author standpoint.

It would also allow fighting style to change mid-fight. And safeguard against issues that may be caused with allegiance changes.

Archived Post 04-20-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leviathan99
This raises the flipside of this:

Instead of setting allegience, we could always set fighting style. That might be simpler and more intuitive from a coding standpoint if not an author standpoint.

It would also allow fighting style to change mid-fight. And safeguard against issues that may be caused with allegiance changes.

There would still need to be a way to designate "friend or foe", which is what I meant by allegiance. And of course that reminds me I also want a way to toggle that status based on a trigger, and also after after a certain percentage of damage was done.

lol, seems like my wishlist for NPCs just keeps growing ;)

Archived Post 04-20-2011 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trueheart
There would still need to be a way to designate "friend or foe", which is what I meant by allegiance. And of course that reminds me I also want a way to toggle that status based on a trigger, and also after after a certain percentage of damage was done.

lol, seems like my wishlist for NPCs just keeps growing ;)

That's three fairly reasonable requests:

1. Set allegience.

2. Allow allegience to be adjusted by trigger.

3. Have enemy health at X% as a trigger or at least a story objective, which can be used to set other triggers.

Add to that body sliders for costumes, branching story tab objectives, "catch-up" actions that port one or all players to a new spawn point on the same map, and the ability to swap or vanish NPCs and that's really everything I could need.

This last one you mention could be very fun. Imagine, for example, using it to create a multi-tiered boss fight. So that adds spawn at certain points, environmental effects happen at certain points, etc. (For example, the ground disappears when the boss is at 75%, and we then hit a reduced gravity volume object just before hitting the next layer of ground so that we don't take fall damage.)

Archived Post 04-20-2011 10:04 PM

I totally sign this.
Being able to set the allegiance would result in such pretty mixed fleet battles.

Archived Post 04-20-2011 10:20 PM

There definitely needs to be a way to have enemy faction ships/characters as friendly (say, an unlikely alliance type mission) or friendly faction ships/characters as enemies.

From an accolade perspective, there is currently no method of obtaining Gorn, Nausicaan, or Orion ground/space kills in any Cryptic mission, despite being able to kill Federation on the Fed side. It's pretty annoying to have the accolade started (via the sparring ring mission at beginning of a KDF level 5 character) and then have absolutely no method of ever completing it for over 9 months -- especially when the next new official episodes are 3 months away.

Archived Post 04-20-2011 10:30 PM

This is definitely necessary. Having every friendly NPC fight like a Federation vessel is frustrating.