Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   Mission Location - What else can I do? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=212195)

Archived Post 04-20-2011 12:21 PM

Mission Location - What else can I do?

I put the mission location in the mission giver text. I put the mission location in the first Task of the mission.
Someone is still asking me where the mission is.

I guess the only remaining place where I can put it is the initial description of the mission, right? I hope that will suffice.

Edit: I think we need a Random Foundry thoughts thread. :p

Archived Post 04-20-2011 12:33 PM

1) make sure you give the system name, and the sector block. dont just use the system name. some people do this but its damn near impossible to tell where some place is with just the system name.

2) put it in the mission giver text, the mission overview, and the first task. it might seem like overkill to do all 3 but people really dont pay any attention and unless you shove the information down their throats, they will miss it.

highlight all system names with the mission info button to give it that green bold look. so that it stands out.

Archived Post 04-20-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully (Post 3501440)
I put the mission location in the mission giver text. I put the mission location in the first Task of the mission.
Someone is still asking me where the mission is.

I guess the only remaining place where I can put it is the initial description of the mission, right? I hope that will suffice.

Edit: I think we need a Random Foundry thoughts thread. :p

Make sure it stays on screen, in the notes preferably. a lot of folks put a nice detailed where to go on the popup, but if you accept a few missions at once, or even just one and you don't get to it right away, and shut down the program, you can't see that info again.

Archived Post 04-20-2011 12:41 PM

I have now used all 3 options, highlighting where I can. I always stated star system and sector block, because I definitely know that star system is never enough. There are way too many to remember them all, and there is no single list for them. I could probably use capital letters in the mission description, now that I think about it... ;)

Archived Post 04-20-2011 12:48 PM

This is my pet peeve. Because of this I tell everyone that their first objective in the Mission Tracker should say; "Go to P'Jem in the Sirius Sector Block." (for example)

If you've done that and people still can't find your mission door, then you have no choice but to write those people off as being too stupid to talk to.

Archived Post 04-20-2011 01:00 PM

I've tried doing this in my own mission, but I found that whatever line I use for that first objective becomes the map objective after you zone in, which always looks really clunky and dumb once you zone in. (ie: Go to the Kei System in Sirius Sector looks fine when you start, but is also the map objective heading AFTER you've zoned into the Kei System). After the first couple of people who played my mission mentioned the lack of destination, I went back to try to find another way to fit it in without making it look really weird, or wrong on the next map, but was unable to find a way.

In the end, I just gave up and left the 'where to go to' information in the grant text and the mission summary.

Archived Post 04-20-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainu
I've tried doing this in my own mission, but I found that whatever line I use for that first objective becomes the map objective after you zone in, which always looks really clunky and dumb once you zone in. (ie: Go to the Kei System in Sirius Sector looks fine when you start, but is also the map objective heading AFTER you've zoned into the Kei System). After the first couple of people who played my mission mentioned the lack of destination, I went back to try to find another way to fit it in without making it look really weird, or wrong on the next map, but was unable to find a way.

In the end, I just gave up and left the 'where to go to' information in the grant text and the mission summary.

yes that is annoying.

i have noticed that cryptic missions have 3 lines of text on the opening mission tracker

mission name
map/section name
start location

for some reason we can only have 2, so i think it would be nice if cryptic could add an extra box that we could drag in to the storyboard, that could be used to say where to go. or attach a start location box to the mission giver or something so it pops up on the tracker.

Archived Post 04-20-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ainu

The trick I use for that is to put a Reach Marker on Objective at the Spawn Point on the first mission map. The reach objective is immediately fulfilled on spawning in, so the objective is marked off as done. I think that works very well. Well, at least the technical aspects work well, and having a marked off objective seems to make sense. Apparently some people still do not get it.

But Mission Description, Mission Contact Giver (Highlighting the Target Location) and First Objective _must_ be enough.

Otherwise, there is only Peregrine_Falcon's suggestion left. :p

Archived Post 04-20-2011 02:27 PM

Always put the mission starting system in the journal text, and at the bottom of the last window the player will see before heading there. Highlight the system name in a different color than the standard text. If people still cant find it, thats their own problem :o

Archived Post 04-20-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus (Post 3501678)
Always put the mission starting system in the journal text, and at the bottom of the last window the player will see before heading there. Highlight the system name in a different color than the standard text. If people still cant find it, thats their own problem :o

I tried that, but I can't add anymore text to my journal entry because I apparently wrote too much, so people will have to deal with it not being highlighted in green in the journal. Still, I think it should work...<shamelessplug>feel free to try out my first mission (in my sig), and see what you think</shamelessplug>.