Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   Mission User Reviews (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=213051)

Archived Post 04-27-2011 01:53 PM

Mission User Reviews

On the reviews.

How about setting this thing up so that if someone drops a mission before a certain point they can't leave feedback on the mission. I've read LOTS of reviews and some people are dropping mission because they can't find a contact on a Starbase. Then they say the contact is missing or they say they can't find the contact and give the mission a 1 rating. That's unfair to the writer. If they can't find their way around a station then they shouldn't be doing ratings.

I read the reviews before I start missions. They often give an insite on things to look for while playing the mission. I often see a 1 rating given by a person who can't find a common charactor on a starbase. I often see it even when the writer has added the location of the contact at the station. It's unfair to the writer.

Archived Post 04-28-2011 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake81499 (Post 3512532)
On the reviews.

How about setting this thing up so that if someone drops a mission before a certain point they can't leave feedback on the mission. I've read LOTS of reviews and some people are dropping mission because they can't find a contact on a Starbase. Then they say the contact is missing or they say they can't find the contact and give the mission a 1 rating. That's unfair to the writer. If they can't find their way around a station then they shouldn't be doing ratings.

Sometimes the reason that something cannot be found is due to a bug in the mission, like a contact not spawning. The author might not know of the issue, and that their mission is potentially broken.

Also, clear directions are a good idea. If a player needs to search for where they're supposed to be, chance are the author failed to give appropriate directions.

Player feedback on these issues is important, so yeah, they should be able to leave feedback.

Now, should they be able to rate missions? That's another question entirely, and I'm of two minds on the subject.

Archived Post 04-28-2011 06:30 AM

I have created some missions and I have tested a lot.

I never saw a contact actually not spawn. I saw them killed by AOE weapons quite a lot of times.
This obviously is something an author should know about. Sometimes players drag combat further away from the spawn point than anyone could expect.

Also many missions use trigger based "objectives" to give the players more freedom and avoid the linear structure of the editor. In that case, due to limitations you will NOT have your usual blinking objects and little circles. You will have to use your brain. As some people cannot even be bothered to read text marked as mission info, that will put quite a strain on them, even with explanations.

From their point of view it is simple: Why should I read that crap. I know STO missions. Little circles here I come. No, they know Cryptic missions. ;)

There are a lot of "unfair" reasons why missions are voted 1-star. As an author, you will just have to live with it.

Fairness is in the eye of the observer. Some people like to read Stephen King. Some wouldn't touch one of his books with a 9-feet stick.

My last two reviews were 3-star for one of my missions:
"Combat to easy" right next to: "Final battle impossible". ;)

Archived Post 04-28-2011 07:15 AM

I would like to see a way to also see when people dropped a mission early. If a lot of people drop your mission, you might be worried something isn't working right. (And a review is also good).

Don't be too reliant on criticals. If half of your reviews give you 1 star and say "couldn't find mission door/contact/gazeboo", then you have a problem. If only 1 of 10 say it - meh. They alone won't impact your rating that strong.

Take the reviews to learn what you can improve, and if you think there is nothing to improve and the reviewer was just thick, well, you'll live.

Archived Post 04-28-2011 08:41 AM

I might also add to this, that I just received my third 1-Star on the basis that the mission was not written in English...

Quote: "buggy and not in english... the rest of the game is in english so this is stupid..."

That's right, the rest of the game is in English for anyone choosing the English flaggie thing on the launcher. Whereas if you pick the German or Spanish one, it will be displayed in German or Spanish. (which I would not do, as the translations are not that good and many missions aren't translated yet anyway. Also, your social view doesn't give all the information).

Also we all know that the Foundry has a language selection, which unfortunately isn't mapped to the custom search by language selection in the Game yet.

In the beginning I wrote tickets for this which were never answered or the ratings removed. Not for my own missions anymore, by that time I had already given up.

You must realize that not every player on this game is a genius. So, learn to ignore the trolls.

Archived Post 04-28-2011 08:53 AM

I've got my one and only 1-star rating so far the other day.

The review was: "EXCELLENT!"

Archived Post 04-28-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake81499 (Post 3512532)
On the reviews.

I read the reviews before I start missions. They often give an insite on things to look for while playing the mission. I often see a 1 rating given by a person who can't find a common charactor on a starbase. I often see it even when the writer has added the location of the contact at the station. It's unfair to the writer.

Sorry but I have to disagree. One of the big bugaboos when STO went live was that some missions did not state clearly where to go to start the mission in the Mission Objective. Yes, it may have said in the body of the text but it is then lost once the mission starts. So, Cryptic started placing the start point of a mission in the OBJECTIVE text box. It is not unfair to the writer but rather unfair to the player that is taking the time to "enjoy" your work. Take the time to make sure that such information is included.

What YOU consider a "common" npc to some is just a name that a player may or MAY NOT have encountered while playing. Do not ASSUME that the person that players your mission has the same amount of knowledge that you do. In this case, more is better. It means more work for the author but the extra work is far more appreciated then if you fail to include such information.