Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Galactic News Network (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Emergency Maintenance (April 29, 2011) (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=213247)

Archived Post 04-29-2011 09:46 AM

Emergency Maintenance (April 29, 2011)

Attention Captains!

We will be performing emergency maintenance on Star Trek Online on Friday, April 29th from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM PDT (5:00 PM to 6:00 PM UTC) in order to apply a new patch. We will update this thread once the maintenance has been completed.

Thank you,
The Star Trek Online Team

Edit: The server is now back up. Thanks for your patience!

Archived Post 04-29-2011 09:51 AM

I sense Q was about to cause trouble. :eek:

Archived Post 04-29-2011 09:53 AM

hmm, someone forgot to page Q.

Archived Post 04-29-2011 09:54 AM

Q's been messing about with the servers, I had a few disconnections, that's probably (hopefully) what the maintenance is for

Archived Post 04-29-2011 09:56 AM

Damn Q, my first free time this week and you ruin my fun. ;)

Archived Post 04-29-2011 09:56 AM

maybe because they Watched the Wedding in London they had forgot to add Q in the first downtime today:D

Archived Post 04-29-2011 09:58 AM

Apparently STO has to do quick maintenance...

I hope it really is quick. :confused: :(

Archived Post 04-29-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
hmm, someone forgot to page Q.

Why should they have to page him if he's supposedly omniscient?

Archived Post 04-29-2011 10:02 AM

10 Minutes Notice?

Yeah thanks Cryptic. I don't mind you taking the server down if you're going to notify us in advance, but just 10 freaking minutes in advance does not count.

:mad:

Yours,
A Customer

------------------

Edit: So it seems nobody read my post, or my subsequent reply, and just assume this is some crazy nerd rage. I know the server has to come down occasionally, and I'm fine with this, but we ought to have been notified sooner.

I work with some very important web based services, and if I made a change to production (i.e. the live server) giving only 10 minutes notice to our customers, I'd get into a HUGE amount of trouble.

This was CLEARLY not an unplanned outage (by which I mean, the server didn't just break down). The term "emergency maintenance" means they just wanted to change something without going through the proper procedures.

It seems obvious to me that this is related to the upcoming promotions for this weekend. Its likely that either...
  • A developer forgot to add something, or left it too late
  • A tester found a bug at the last minute, with no time to schedule a new release
  • Some idiot in marketing decided to run a promotion without telling anyone in the dev team.

I come across this stuff all the time, but there are ways of dealing with all of them. You shouldn't ever end up in a situation where the live server gets taken down with only 10 minutes notice.

I also know that the only way that anything will change is if someone complains, so this is the complaint right here.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~<GM Jahia>

Archived Post 04-29-2011 10:02 AM

It's probably Q's fault, he does love to cause mischief