Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Galactic News Network (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Daniel Stahl on the Genesis system (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=21644)

Archived Post 06-12-2009 06:22 PM

Daniel Stahl on the Genesis system

Producer Daniel Stahl hopped over to MMORPG.com to talk a bit about the Genesis system, the program we use to create new environments in a fraction of the time it normally takes. The Genesis system means more quests, and more content, for you at launch. Read more about it here.

Link to the news article.

Archived Post 06-12-2009 06:26 PM

Very ingenius system, with a very clever and appropriate title. I hope it lives up to expectations. No doubts there will be endless hours spent tweaking and improving this to make it even better after launch to assure it achieves it's goals. I hope it can be intuitive enough to not generate something that is so alien it's unbelievable, though. This paired with the character generator, though, should prove to create some really interesting M-class worlds. I can't wait to see how the Genesis system will be able to create villages, urban environments and what not...or could it be that inhabited worlds are off limits to the Genesis Engine?

Archived Post 06-12-2009 06:46 PM

I think this is awesome....I now am once again really looking forward to playing. More news like this piece are what we fans need to keep our interest peaked. I will be spending my money on STO and now have my family interested too. I have 4 WoW accounts but, at launch of STO I will have at least that many accounts here....Sp I don't have to share game time with my Wife and 3 kids who are gamers and Trek fans too.

Archived Post 06-12-2009 06:54 PM

Very interesting read. Can't wait to see how this works out :)

Archived Post 06-12-2009 07:15 PM

Hopefully the planets and solar systems don't start to blend together! That's how it became in EVE... the first few systems you visited were cool and exciting, but after a while you noticed that there wasn't much variation. I hope to see variation in planet orbits, number of planets, number of habitable planets, and level of habitable...ness.

Archived Post 06-12-2009 07:28 PM

Sounds very promising. Can't wait to see it in action.

Archived Post 06-12-2009 07:30 PM

Great article! I'd like to see how the Genesis system turns out for the game in sort of nor crearting worlds self.

Archived Post 06-12-2009 07:34 PM

How coincidental I started a thread about planetary systems and the discovery of new ones by players. Seems this Genesis engine opens the door to many possibilities such as the one I wondered about: will newly discovered systems remain permanent to all to explore and play within?

Awesome article, thanks to share it with us all.

Archived Post 06-12-2009 07:38 PM

Why the holodeck of course! I'm glad to see that a star trek idea helped Cryptic to make something that has never been done before. The answer was there all along. But it is up to the devs to use it as they wish, we the players imagine developing as: "what can we do", but the time has faded for "can" may Cryptic be the first to say: "what do we want to do"!

Archived Post 06-12-2009 07:57 PM

Sounds very promising can't wait to see how it works in the game