Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   EULA Question - The IKS Klothos (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=218035)

Archived Post 06-03-2011 09:09 PM

EULA Question - The IKS Klothos

I'm nearing completion of my Battle of Klach D'Kel Bracht Foundry Mission, but there is an EULA concern that I'm hoping the community could answer:

Does the EULA allow me use Kor's ship, the IKS Klothos in the Foundry Mission?

The thing is the Star Trek Animated Series isn't listed among the properties, but yet Kor mentions the Klothos in the DS9 Episode: Once more unto the Breach.

So is it fully okay to have a Gray D7 named the IKS Klothos in the mission, even though Kor is only mentioned by name? Or since he mentions it's a D5, that it could not use a D7 body? Or it's regarded as a character like the Enterprise and cannot be used?

Anyone know the answer?

Wishstone, if you see this. Would it be possible to have a list of answered EULA questions in the EULA Sticky?

Archived Post 06-04-2011 03:26 AM

Whether it's technically allowed or not, I'd have to say that is such an esoteric piece of trivia that no one is going to catch it and report it. People are just going to read through and not make much notice of the ship's name, or they'll recognize it and think "that's cool", but their thought process would not even move in the direction of it being a violation.

Archived Post 06-04-2011 06:19 AM

Well you stepped right into the middle of a canon fight there with TAS and Roddenberry vs the DS9 writing team. Technically the EULA prohibits use of copy written material, and IP owned by writers for series. Though TAS isn't specifically included, someone could say that it falls within the bounds of the EULA. The safest course would be to not use it, though as you say nothing explicitly restricts it either. And besides who other then Catian lovers watched TAS :) *ducks*

Archived Post 06-04-2011 07:47 AM

Rereading the OP, I think you're coming at this with some misconceptions. The Enterprise isn't regarded as a character and I see nothing in the EULA that says you can't use it. In fact, I've seen the Enterprise in a couple of different Foundry episodes. By the same token you can use the Klothos because it's mentioned in DS9.

As far as using a different ship, there's nothing that limits you to matching a specific ship with a certain name. I could make a mission where I had a Defiant class ship named Enterprise. It would be weird, but it would only be violating accepted ST lore, not the EULA. In the case where the correct class of ship is not available, you obviously are forced to substitute the closest possible alternative.

You can't use likenesses of actors or their names because they reserve rights to those "properties" and have to be paid royalties if they are used. The ship appearances are not subject to those limitations, otherwise we'd have no Galaxy, Constitution, Intrepid or Defiant class ships in the game, or perhaps no canon ships at all (and it would also defeat much of the point of even making the game).

Archived Post 06-04-2011 12:13 PM

it was mentioned in DS9 so its part of star trek law and its not a person so there is no likeness rights so it would be fine.

Archived Post 06-04-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagorak (Post 3573555)
Rereading the OP, I think you're coming at this with some misconceptions. The Enterprise isn't regarded as a character and I see nothing in the EULA that says you can't use it. In fact, I've seen the Enterprise in a couple of different Foundry episodes. By the same token you can use the Klothos because it's mentioned in DS9.

As far as using a different ship, there's nothing that limits you to matching a specific ship with a certain name. I could make a mission where I had a Defiant class ship named Enterprise. It would be weird, but it would only be violating accepted ST lore, not the EULA. In the case where the correct class of ship is not available, you obviously are forced to substitute the closest possible alternative.

You can't use likenesses of actors or their names because they reserve rights to those "properties" and have to be paid royalties if they are used. The ship appearances are not subject to those limitations, otherwise we'd have no Galaxy, Constitution, Intrepid or Defiant class ships in the game, or perhaps no canon ships at all (and it would also defeat much of the point of even making the game).

actually you are incorrect on this. Enterprise is a registered name for cbs/paramount and as such falls within the bounds of the eula. Technically anyone using it(and possibly the other named ships though I would have to go look on them) are in violation, but as long as noone raises a fuss or reports them, then it'll carry on.

Archived Post 06-04-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by castmodean (Post 3573868)
actually you are incorrect on this. Enterprise is a registered name for cbs/paramount and as such falls within the bounds of the eula. Technically anyone using it(and possibly the other named ships though I would have to go look on them) are in violation, but as long as noone raises a fuss or reports them, then it'll carry on.

I dont think thats right. (i could be wrong)

1) how do you register the name enterprise? it dates back hundreds of years. i dont think anyone owns it.

2) even if it is, Andorian, vulcan, galaxy class, vor'cha and every other planet, object, species and ship may also be registered we are still allowed to use them and have them appear.

CBS lets us use things in the canon of star trek. we can play around with the history and the universe itself. we can even use peoples names like picard or kirk because CBS owns them and they allows us to use it. the problem is in actually using a likeness as they do not own patrick stewart or william shatner, or using something from a novel written by someone who does not work for CBS, or using someone script.

im welcome to be proven wrong here but CBS lets us have access to star trek. that includes ships and objects within star trek. they dont let us have access to stuff that was also made independently.

Archived Post 06-04-2011 02:23 PM

Interesting discussion regarding ships.

Hopefully the powers-that-be will give an official ruling regarding ships-seen and ships-mentioned.

Archived Post 06-04-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
1) how do you register the name enterprise? it dates back hundreds of years. i dont think anyone owns it.

It would be hard to argue coincidence in using that name in a Star Trek game. :)

Archived Post 06-04-2011 07:41 PM

My two bars of latinum: My first instinct in regards to the Enterprise question was to avoid it like the plague. But I glanced at the EULA and it seems primarily concerned with people over objects.

My personal preference, I'd avoid using hero ships (Enterprise, Voyager, Defiant) as locations for missions since you can't interact with the crew. But that doesn't mean those ships can't happen to show up as rescue ships or be referenced. I might avoid the Enterprise in particular because of the impending arrival of the 1701-F.

Now, as for other ships. Here's my thought. We know that we can reference events/locations previously mentioned. So I don't see why you couldn't use it.

Regarding the Klothos... if this is a time travel/historical mission you're getting into fuzzy territory. Particularly because it's Kor's ship and interacting with him is a no-no. But if it's the present day and there's a new negh'var or similar that's got the same name because of all the glory he brought to the empire, I see no reason that wouldn't be allowed. It's not different than the many Hoods, Farraguts, Excaliburs, etc...