Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Galactic News Network (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Meet the Team: Denis Korkh (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=21950)

Archived Post 06-19-2009 04:29 PM

Meet the Team: Denis Korkh

In this edition of Meet the Team, it's our pleasure to introduce you to Denis Korkh, a member of Star Trek Online's intrepid art team. Denis works on the game's ships, some of which you've seen in our Ships of the Line section. Read on to learn more about Denis!

What do you do on Star Trek Online?

I build some of the ships that will populate Star Trek Online. Sometimes this means replicating what has already been tried and true and other times itís definitely about sneaking in the awesome and hoping that the real hardcore fans donít come after me with torches, bat'leths and phasers when allís said and done.

How long have you worked in gaming, and what did you do before Star Trek Online?

I worked in games for only about a year before I joined Cryptic and Iím extremely grateful for having lucked out so big so early. Before Cryptic, I was working on Sony Home, building most of the environments that were there at launch and a few that came out a little later. Before that I did odd 3D contracts for a while and even further back I did some work at Giant Killer Robots for Spiderman 3, Happy Feet and Fantastic Four 2.

Who is your favorite Star Trek character and why?

Hands down, Leonard McCoy. Every major character on Star Trek is important and indispensable since the conflicts they encounter test both their wit and their friendship more so than the strength of their shields. But ďBonesĒ is a one-of-a-kind for me. He is both classy and theatrical, he doesnít need humor relief and can either kill or heal you with his stare alone (the tech he uses is just for show).

What is an interesting fact about you that players would be surprised to know?

I was once overrun and mugged by seven or 10 gypsy kids. It happened so fast and was so strange that had I not been with my friend I would have probably dismissed it as the product of some wild daydream.

If you could choose to be an alien on Star Trek, which species would you want to be?

I would be the Borg. It seems fairly straight forward and easy. Being connected to the collective at all times and having clear instructions seems like a really efficient and simple way of life.

Which is cooler: monkeys, robots, pirates or ninjas?

Itís a tie between monkeys and robots and I would love to watch the two battle it out. I would say that humans are somewhere close to the middle where those two meet.

What advice do you have for someone who wants to break into the gaming industry?

Besides jumping through all the usual hoops like school, portfolio, researching the industry and applying, I would recommend immersing oneself in the crowd of people with similar interests and passions. Being part of a network of people in the chosen industry creates, at random, some of the most rare and interesting opportunities. Also treat everyone with respect, but thatís generally a good idea no matter what you do.

What was your first favorite video game?

Sid Meierís Civilization, the very first one. I played it for days on end on the black and white laptop at my fatherís office. I didnít know English and it wasnít translated so it was a bit frustrating to figure out how to use the interface, but once I did my life would never be the same.

Archived Post 06-19-2009 04:36 PM

It's cool man, who hasn't been mugged by gypsies? They are ruthless!

And that's awesome you like Civ, my friends and I play Civ IV all the time :)

Archived Post 06-19-2009 04:38 PM

Welcome to the community at large. I really enjoyed your description of McCoy. Especially the staring bit. I have never though about DeForest Kelley's portal of the character in that light before, but it is so true.

Archived Post 06-19-2009 04:38 PM

Welcome. :D

Archived Post 06-19-2009 04:41 PM

I probaly skip the Borg but I can live with Lenard McCoy as the medical Officer of a very magnificiant Captain James T. Kirk. :)

Archived Post 06-19-2009 04:43 PM

I'll have to remember that bit about the Gypsies. I see them from time to time where I live.:eek:
Welcome, by the way.

Archived Post 06-19-2009 05:06 PM

So the Excalibur and Miranda-wannabe classes are your fault? Now I know who to target! Muahahahaha!!

Archived Post 06-19-2009 06:34 PM

Welcome to the party Denis! Same here on Civ. But for me it was Civ 2. I actually managed to get nuked by Gandhi. :)

Archived Post 06-20-2009 07:08 AM

Nice to meet you Dennis. :D

Archived Post 06-20-2009 11:10 AM

woha the ship designer. Nice galor ship recently and all others look good too.