Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Concept Starships for STO (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=220687)

Archived Post 06-21-2011 07:05 PM

Concept Starships for STO

I am sure there is already a thread or threads about this, but, cryptic, when or will we ever see Ships like the ones proposed for Perpetual Entertainment, in the very early days of STO. Below is a not-to-scale comparison of many of the vessels and concepts for the PE STO. I have actually seen the Excalibur in game is various DSEs floating in space, disabled. I would really LOVE to see these in-game! Thanks!

http://suricatasblog.files.wordpress...11/peships.jpg

Archived Post 06-21-2011 07:35 PM

People have made threads about this many MANY times. Don't get your hopes up about ever seeing these in the game. Because you won't.

Archived Post 06-21-2011 07:38 PM

I'd like to see the Edison as an alternate skin for the Delta-class shuttle. I could go with a less Borgified look.

The Sacagawea would make a nice alternative to the Captain's Yatch. Not every ship has a Sovereign's torpedo turret.

I would quite like seeing the Tahoe-class in-game. I'm personally a fan of the Federation Flagship Ryan Dening designed (called Excalibur-class in Perpetual's days, and sometimes seen in Deep Space Encounters as a derelict) even though many have a scathing opinion about it. Even the Unknown concept with the hollows in its saucer (a.k.a. peace sign ship) figured in the initial trailers - could actually be nice to see all three meshed together as variants of a single configuration (since they have many lines in common) - I seem to recall it was actually so to a degree in early sneak peeks of 'ship customization'.

I could picture the Ramjet and Phoenix concepts as more modern alternate variants of the NX-01 Replica. I sure would like to see an NX-01 silhouette with a more modern appearance. The Nelson could be an alternate Defiant configuration.

Archived Post 06-21-2011 07:54 PM

We have the Iowa, it seems. (Ushaan, I think)

Archived Post 06-21-2011 08:14 PM

I agree with you completely Zoberraz!

Archived Post 06-21-2011 09:17 PM

They are all cool except for the Nelson and Explorer, The Excaliber looks pretty sweet too. I would love to see these ships in game.

Archived Post 06-24-2011 01:59 AM

Some of them really look cool, others a bit...well not Trek enough to put it that way.
But I think Cryptic did a really fine job so far with their own designs.
I really LOVE the Starcruiserdesigns and would love to see more Shipdesigns like that added to the game in the future.
Besause we know from the shows that Starfleets future shipdesigns will be a lot sleeker and almost more organic looking (like the timeship in Voyager or the Enterprise J).
So even if the Devs don't use those concepts I'm sure they will use them as inspiration for some upcomming ships. And I know they are working on it right now to give us some fine new ships.

Keep up the good work guys!!

Archived Post 06-24-2011 06:09 AM

Actually, at this link (when it works), there was a mention that they were thinking about putting some of the Perpetual ships in the game.

Archived Post 06-24-2011 08:53 PM

What I'd like to see is the ability to modify ships at a more basic level. For example, why can't I have a Galaxy class with its regular nacelles length stretched out, to those similar to a Reliant or Excelsior. Why not give me the ability to control how long or short the "stem" (if you'll excuse my un-Trek parlance) running from the engineering section to the Galaxy's sauce section? Etc etc etc...

At some point we're going to run out of ship designs, so why not give us the option, as individual ship commanders, to modify the ships at a more intimate level, then just a set of templates to choose from...

Archived Post 06-24-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

What I'd like to see is the ability to modify ships at a more basic level. For example, why can't I have a Galaxy class with its regular nacelles length stretched out, to those similar to a Reliant or Excelsior. Why not give me the ability to control how long or short the "stem" (if you'll excuse my un-Trek parlance) running from the engineering section to the Galaxy's sauce section? Etc etc etc...

At some point we're going to run out of ship designs, so why not give us the option, as individual ship commanders, to modify the ships at a more intimate level, then just a set of templates to choose from...
the problem is that would take MAJOR gameplay changing, as well as designing the in-game textures of EVERY possible option we could think of... it's all too much for CaptLogan to do by himself
i'd like the idea, and i want it at some point, but... i just don't think it's likely we'll see it for years at least :(