Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Science PvP Healer in an RSV (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=221936)

Archived Post 07-02-2011 05:57 PM

Science PvP Healer in an RSV

So I've been trying out lots of ships in PvP recently: D'Kyr, Intrepid, Star Cruiser and I've decided I like (both aesthetically and functionally) the RSV the best.
This is what I've come up with for a build,

Tac - Lt.
- Tac Team I
- APD I
Tac - Ens.
- Tac Team I
Eng - Lt.
- EptS I
- EptS II
Sci - Ltc.
- Sci Team I
- TSS II
- HE III
Sci - Cm.
- Tractor I
- TSS II
- HE III
- SS III

I'm really unsure of what to do with the commander science slot I have scramble sensors in there but I'd like suggestions on that. Also I'm running with dual copies of TSS and HE I know this means significant wasted time because of global CDs but I really feel gimped only running one copy of each. Also people have told me the difference between TSS II and TSS III is marginal, is this correct? If it isn't I would have TSS III and HE III. If you see any other problems with the build let me know!

Thanks in advance,
Mirus

Archived Post 07-03-2011 03:03 AM

The Commander Slot is the big problem with Science Healers. No healing power there.

Something to consider: If you can, I would try to equip TSS III. IF you got the Reman BO, you have at least one. Shield heals are very good to have.

You might also want to check out Extend Shields I instead of EPtS2. It's certainly a loss in your self-defense if you can't provide full EPtS coverage, but Extend Shields is very good combined with Tactical team and Transfer Shield Strength. The difference between TSS2 and TSS3 might not be big, but it's still better and shield hardening and healing is just one of the best defensive options.

If you enter the risk of going with only one EPtS for your self-defense, you might want to try Feedback Pulse III. At least if people start focusing on you, you can hurt them back. Maybe it will do some good.

A think that I am generally missing as a Science Healer is a real "burst" heal for hull, something like Engineering Team III or Auxillary to Structural Integrity Field III. Aux2SIF1 might be another alternative for EPtS2 then. Overall I think due to all the cooldown issues and lack of burst hull heals, a Science Healer will always need a second healer in his team to catch nasty spikes.

Options for Commander Slots in general:

Scramble Sensors III
A very strong skill in PvP, as it can neuter healers like yourself, and due to the random target switches, it also makes self-clearing unreliable (and generally focused effort). But if you use it, you will be called a science/scramble spammer and be hated by your enemies. Some thin kthe power is bugged, and they are probably not wrong if it can even lead to Evasive Maneuvers (a self only power!) mis-firing!

Charged Particle Burst III
A singular, offense-oriented skill that you can add to your team's offensive capacities. I am not sure I wouldn't prefer to use it on a more dedicated build, though. Costly skill if you want to max it.

Photonic Shockwave III
Also a singular, ofefnsive oriented skill for your team. The main use of PSW is to stun your foes. You don't have to max this (otherwise costly) skill to get the most out of the stun duration. it might be the best choice with Scramble.

Feedback Pulse III
It is not one of the best powers in PvP, and it's a very defensive and eogistical power, basically. Nevertheless, you might find it useful if you see your enemies turning on you once they believe they have outtricked your defenses. It is cheaper skill-wise and I believe the skill even synergizes with your Transfer shield Strength and Science Team. That said - FBP shares a cooldown with Transfer Shield Strength, so you will have only small windows where you can use it without harming your healing ability. But maybe that's good enough? I don't know.

Gravity Well III
This might be a way to add some crowd control to your ability. But if you spec into it, it's costly, and the skill points don't help your heals.

Tyken's Rift
Since you have a Tractor Beam, it might even work well if combined with that. It is important to keep the target in it for some time, and without a Tractor or another player using Gravity Well, that won't happen. Again costly in skill points.

Photonic Officer III
This would require you have referred at least one player to STO, otherwise you can't get this power at all. The problem with PO3 is that its cooldown reduction is basically too high to be fully utilized with science powers. Between all the shared and global cooldowns, you would see almost no improvement for your healing powers. And the power unfortunately also has a very long cooldown on its own.

Archived Post 07-03-2011 09:27 AM

Thanks for the help,
I decided to have TSS III and HE III as you suggested though I don't have the Reman Boff nor do I no anyone who does so in the end it may not be possible.
I also chose GW III for my commander science ability as I have used it in the past and like it a great deal, though it does make specing hard.

This is the skill build I came up with, would you (Mustrum) or anyone else be willing to take a look at it?

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=RSV1_0

I have one big question related to it, according to spending skill points wisely with the Aegis set (which I use) it is optimal to go with 7 - 3 - 9 on the Ship Attack Vectors, Ship Combat Maneuvers, and Ship Battle Strategy "trio" if I do this am I losing out on the turn rate bonus of Ship Combat Maneuvers or does the Hyper-Impulse engine's + 10 to Ship combat maneuvers supplement this?

Archived Post 07-04-2011 10:39 AM

I'd highly recommend swapping out for the DSSV if you want to play a healer role; the extra Tac console on the RSV is useless to you and you can make better use of an Ensign Eng over an extra TacTeam.

If you go with the DSSV, you can:
- slot Aux to SIF 1 while maintaining 2 EPtS for yourself
- slot Extend Shields 1 while still having 2 EPtS for yourself

Or have the following loadout (since it appears you're not afraid of having 3 Teams):
- EPtS 1 + Extend 1, EngTeam 1
- EPtS 1 x2, EngTeam 2
- EPtS 1, + Aux to SIF 1, EngTeam 1

For your Commander slot, I'd go with GW 3. It'll help your team a lot by nuking enemy defenses/leaving them susceptible to AoEs, and it'll do a fair bit of damage. Scramble 3 is nice, but it's currently got some issues with it that need fixed (for example, a Scrambled target can have their Evasive Maneuvers misfire). Scramble 3 will also generate a lot of hate from the other team.

As far as TSS 2 vs 3 goes, I would always go with 2 TSS 3 if possible. The extra shield heal is nice, but the resistance boost is quite nice as well - and shield tanking/healing is far more valuable than hull healing, IMO. 2x TSS 3 + 2x HE 2 is awesome, but 2x TSS 2 + 2x HE 3 is just as fine.

Archived Post 07-04-2011 07:45 PM

I see your point about the DSSV but even if it means I'm not min-maxed to the fullest I find it too aesthetically displeasing to use. Also despite the fact that the DSSV would allow me to chain EptS increasing my survival under fire I find that chaining tac team (with 10 seconds of down time every 30 seconds) allows me to fend off alot of attacks and protects me from carrier and photonic fleet spam as well as FAW.
I actually decided on Photonic Shockwave because I duo queue with others who are able to alpha someone nicely if I subnuke, scan, tractor and PSW them. As for the extra tac console I use it for my borg universal console so that it frees up another engineering console that it previously occupied. A question on consoles, due to the fact that I'm running on 50 weapons power most of the time so do very little weapons damage with or without beam drain, and don't usually switch power levels in fights would it be better to use an engineering slot for Armor or the EPS transfer console?

Archived Post 07-04-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mirourm
I see your point about the DSSV but even if it means I'm not min-maxed to the fullest I find it too aesthetically displeasing to use. Also despite the fact that the DSSV would allow me to chain EptS increasing my survival under fire I find that chaining tac team (with 10 seconds of down time every 30 seconds) allows me to fend off alot of attacks and protects me from carrier and photonic fleet spam as well as FAW.
I actually decided on Photonic Shockwave because I duo queue with others who are able to alpha someone nicely if I subnuke, scan, tractor and PSW them. As for the extra tac console I use it for my borg universal console so that it frees up another engineering console that it previously occupied. A question on consoles, due to the fact that I'm running on 50 weapons power most of the time so do very little weapons damage with or without beam drain, and don't usually switch power levels in fights would it be better to use an engineering slot for Armor or the EPS transfer console?

If you're not switching between power levels often, then an EPS will only help you regaining power after Full Impulse. I switch between offensive and defensive presets quite often, but I don't use an EPS and find that it doesn't take too long to switch.

I'd recommend using a +Power console, Shields or Engines.

Archived Post 07-04-2011 09:01 PM

So a +Shield or +Engine console over Neutronium Alloy?

Archived Post 07-05-2011 05:32 AM

Quote:

I found there is a good looking ship in every class per customization somewhere.
Check out my visual build of the Deep Space Science :
http://trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=5077952&postcount=798

Archived Post 07-05-2011 07:42 AM

Quote:

So a +Shield or +Engine console over Neutronium Alloy?

That's my own personal preference. With 2 TacTeams and your various heals, you should have no problem keeping your own shields up, and dealing with bleedthrough shouldn't be too big of an issue especially if you have the Borg gear.