KDF Tactical Officer build
I am a new STO player and have read the various threads on skill spoint spending (Spending Skill Points Wisely) as well as the Skill Planner.
I attempted to create a space and ground balanced KDF Tactical Officer build, which right now I am gearing for something that works in PvE as well as fleet PvP.
I just want to get some opinions on what I can do better to be more effective. Thanks in advance!
I would drop the team skills to 0. I don't think it will hurt you that much in PvE ground.
You also have some maxed out ground skills that could be dropped to at least 7 if not 5 so those points can be put into space skills. I have a pure space build for my tac with very few points in ground skills and I do just fine. I let my Bridge Officers do the heavy lifting in the ground game.
If you don't have powers that use them, drop the maintenance skills. They won't do anything for you.
At least the engine and weapons performance skills should be maxed out at 9. They will add directly to your power levels and more is better. You want to have 125 weapon power at Lt. General and as much power to engines as possible in a BOP because speed is life.
If you are going to use Sci powers only put points into those skills that boost them and spend the others somewhere else.
In general when flying a BOP in PvP you will need every edge you can get because after you decloak you will be the number one target for the other team. And you will flying the weakest ship in the game. I personally would max out all the BOP captain skills at each level for the max hit points and maneuverability possible. The same for starship command and attack vector.
Just a few comments about your build.
1) Don't put any points in sub-system repair. The general consensus from people that have tested it is that it doesn't actually do anything. Waste of points if you put any here.
2) You need more points in Weapon performance. Depending on what other equipment you have, you'll probably need at least 7 points here to get your weapon power up to the max of 125/100.
3) I would put more points into your tier 3 skills.
4) You are probably spread a little too thin. I would decide on just a couple of sci abilities that you want to use, and put points into those. With BOP, you get A LOT of flexibility, including running rank 3 sci abilities. Just pick an offensive ability (like gravity well, tykens rift, or photonic shockwave), and 1 or 2 defensive ones (like hazard emitters or transfer shield strength.) If you go with these, you won't need points in sensors, sensor probes, tractor beam, or sensor array. Just using these as an example. My point is you have too many points spread among too many sci skills.
5) Ship skills like Ki'Tang BOP and Norgh BOP only fully affect the respective ship. If you fly a higher tier ship (like the Hegtha BOP or B'rel-R), only 50% of the the points in Norg and Ki'Tang apply. So personally, I would only put points here if you have points to spare.
6) For ground skills, I would pick 1 or 2 kits that you will use, and put points into those. Unless you plan on using the Operative kit, I wouldn't put any points into Stealth. You don't need martial arts if you are never going to use the Close Combat Kit. In regards to the advice from the other poster about not needing ANY ground skills, I would agree with him partially. You don't NEED ground skills to do ground PVE. However, ground skills will make ground PVE much easier. This will be most noticeable on the STFs where it is a 5-player team, no bridge officers allowed. A tac will be noticeably more effective if you have some points in the ground skills.
7) Don't put any points into Weapon Efficiency. You will running at full weapon power. "Efficiency" skills only boost power to those systems running below 75 power level. Since you will be running at 100, points here are a waste.
8) Put more points into the "Performance" skills. These boost power levels regardless of what they are set at.
Thanks for the comments. I will definitely follow this advice and see where it takes me. I wasn't sure on the other system skills but based off their description I was figuring they might be useful
Great pointers and I really appreciate the guidance!
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:37 AM.|