Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Mission Database (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215)
-   -   "First Cause, Then Effect" feedback, reviews, suggestions (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=222093)

Archived Post 07-04-2011 01:22 AM

"First Cause, Then Effect" feedback, reviews, suggestions

Hey guys, I finished this mission a few weeks ago now but to my utter surprise it really seems to be taking off as far as number of reviews and overall rating, so I wanted to make a thread in this section to keep track of any feedback from you guys. I made a thread in the other "Discussion" forum before the subforums got separated, and it quickly got buried!

Basically, in this mission I try to do some crazy things with the respawn mechanic in order to advance the story. It's pretty experimental, and I do hear rare reports of people breaking the mission in a few certain places, but by and large it seems to be working pretty well.

So, if you give it a shot, please let me know what you thought of it. I'm mostly interested in things I can do to make the mission seem more polished and stuff like that. And of course, if you manage to break it, I'm interested in hearing how you did it! The foundry's limited as we all know, but I'm always game to try and tweak things.

"First Cause, Then Effect"
by RogueEnterprise
Starfleet, any level

Archived Post 07-04-2011 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogueEnterprise (Post 3623184)
Hey guys, I finished this mission a few weeks ago now but to my utter surprise it really seems to be taking off as far as number of reviews and overall rating, so I wanted to make a thread in this section to keep track of any feedback from you guys. I made a thread in the other "Discussion" forum before the subforums got separated, and it quickly got buried!

Basically, in this mission I try to do some crazy things with the respawn mechanic in order to advance the story. It's pretty experimental, and I do hear rare reports of people breaking the mission in a few certain places, but by and large it seems to be working pretty well.

So, if you give it a shot, please let me know what you thought of it. I'm mostly interested in things I can do to make the mission seem more polished and stuff like that. And of course, if you manage to break it, I'm interested in hearing how you did it! The foundry's limited as we all know, but I'm always game to try and tweak things.

"First Cause, Then Effect"
by RogueEnterprise
Starfleet, any level

I played it about a week ago, It worked fine for me. Kudos on the good work /tiphat

Archived Post 07-05-2011 04:39 AM

Rogue,

It has taken off like a bottle rocket thrown in a campfire :). As the initial reviewer (5 star), everything worked fine and I was glad to start the snowball effect. It is a great mission and a lot of fun. Looking forward to your next creation.

Duke-of-Rock

Archived Post 07-05-2011 04:35 PM

Thanks Duke, I'm fairly sure that most of the success of this mish is due to your initial favorable review, and you're definitely not afraid to talk positive.

Archived Post 07-18-2011 01:33 PM

Hey everyone, just a note that this mission survived the republishing process and pretty much still works at this time. I think it's showing on the default first page of foundry missions these days too. So if you have any feedback please leave it in this thread!

Archived Post 07-21-2011 01:45 AM

Enjoyed it thoroughly. You definitely got a review from me. I was that guy who didn't care for how closely it resembled TNG's episode which you referenced in the mission, but that's a personal opinion which honestly shouldn't even be considered here when reviewing this mission. I get that you were going for some sort of homage.

Regardless it was stellar work, great bit of programming, very good pacing of the story itself. Every time I've played a foundry mission where space combat and interactions advance the story as oppose to wasting my time (like most cryptic missions feel to me) I'm absolutely blown away probably because it's just so unfamiliar in the first place (to me personally) inside of STO, but you did well at throwing me curve balls with what I was supposed to expect (round 2, the shuttle craft... with me anticipating an edge on the battle only to have a complication arise heh).

I loved how a few minor changes to the scene each time around made it feel completely different each time and far from repetitive.

The Ground mission in the shuttle bay was a little less than intuitive, I kinda had to press my toon up against the corner of the force field in order for the mission to register that I had indeed seen the Ensign, but after I got it there, I remember thinking to myself, 'oh. That makes sense. I absolutely have to be at an angle to see him just like it says on the mission dialogue box, but not in so many words.' I kinda felt like that was both intuitive and anti-intuitive at the same time, which is an odd thing to feel. Intuitive because it made sense, anti-intuitive because most missions on STO aren't as particular about that kind of detail. So kudos on that level of attention to said detail.

I don't have any critique on dialogue, I was on the phone at the time so I was skimming and keeping track of your highlighted sentences.

Great job!

Archived Post 07-21-2011 08:07 AM

I tried to play this last night, and I couldn't enter the mission. Button to begin mission brought a dialog prompt with "Begin," but pushing that button did nothing.

It was really strange. Anyone else experiencing this?

Archived Post 07-21-2011 11:55 AM

I loved the mission personally, good scripting, like reading a movie script, good map layout, minus the inside of the ship, felt like a big box with a ship set inside, but other than that one small nitpick i loved it. :D

Archived Post 07-26-2011 02:32 PM

I tried this mission today for the first time (sorry Rogue for not tring it sooner!!!).

The only issue I had was when i had to interact with the shuttle, the dialogue would not come up, I solved it by simply flying away from the shuttle and back again, which fixed it. I suspect it was because I'd already approached the shuttle before the previous dialogue had finished :-)

The mission talks about the ships crew complement been 5 people, I got the impression this meant crew and didn't include the Ambassador, so for a while I was wondering where the 5th crewman was hiding :-P

Overall, this mission was AMAZING. It was more fun and engaging than alot of the current offical missions, I loved how it was scripted and the battles were really well staged. I don't know how long it took me to complete it, I was quite though reading all the dialogues, but I know it took a while, yet, it didn't feel like it, a true indicator of how good this episode is. Several times in missions I've started to get bored with what was going on, I didn't get this once with this episode.

Absolute kudos to you on this mission, thank you so much for making this episode :-)

Quote:

I loved the mission personally, good scripting, like reading a movie script, good map layout, minus the inside of the ship,
Yeah, I suppose the main deck of the ship could be a little better, but they were still pretty good, but considering the tools in the foundry, I don't think thats really possable right now, the shuttlebay was nicely done.

Archived Post 07-26-2011 10:03 PM

@kirkfat - I'm glad you got the mission working, your feedback in game was pretty positive. Thanks for playing!

@butters - Yeah, I couldn't exactly get the setting that I wanted for the ship interior, but I think it worked alright for the purposes of the mission! I wanted to keep the focus tight.

@suricata - Thanks for the positive feedback! I've heard some things about the get-to-the-shuttle popup not triggering unless you fly away then back. Not sure what that's about, I'll have to check into that when the foundry comes back. Otherwise I'm really glad you liked it! Now please finish the ship chart so I can print it, laminate it, and put it on my wall. =)