Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Klingon Fleetyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   KDF ship skin suggestions for Heretic. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=223436)

Archived Post 07-10-2011 09:38 PM

KDF ship skin suggestions for [del]Heretic[/del] Logan.

Heretic has mentioned that he is working on more ship skins, including (yay!) ones for the KDF.

Two of them were leaked to Tribble before Crossfire went live but have been taken off. One for the B'Rel/B'Rel-Retrofit BoP, one for the Quldun BoP.

I'm making this thread as a repository for suggestions, ideas, and requests for Heretic to keep in mind while he works on other KDF skins.

Please note: Heretic cannot use player-designed ships, or ships from other games, books, comics, the Animated Series, or anything outside of the television shows and movies as his basis for these designs, so lets keep all those out, shall we?

Since I'm starting this thread, I might as well start with mine, please remember, these are just my own personal opinions, offered up as constructive suggestions, I'm not trying to bash the skins we have, and I would appreciate if we could keep this thread positive:

K'Tanco Battle Cruiser:
  • Make the two "fins" on the underside of the hull optional.
  • The nacelles should be included in the wing/pylon customization, and the alternate skin should have them moved away from the main hull, in the middle of the wing/pylon.
  • The "saucer" of the alternate skin should have a more rounded underside, the "scoop" just doesn't say "Battle Cruiser" to me.

Somraw Raptor:
  • Don't include the "wires" on the alternate skin, it already has pylons.
  • A prominent torpedo launcher is a must.
  • Some visually recognizable cannon mounts (ala the underside of the Hegh'Ta) would be nice.

Qorgh Raptor:
  • Wires, cannon mounts, yeah, you know.
  • An increase in size would be nice, it feels much too small compared to the BoPs, or, alternatively, reduce the size of the BoPs.

Norgh BoP:
  • No suggestions, my favorite BoP, seems the most logical advancement of the BoP design.

Pach Raptor:
  • Wires, cannon mounts, yeah, you know.
  • The neck. Can we get a real connecting hull? The pipes and wires and narrow connections seem fragile.

Ki'Tang BoP:
  • The nacelles? Three previous generations of BoP and the nacelles were always incorporated into the wings, why now are they tacked on the top? Optional, please.
  • Weird, spiky things on the Wing cannons. I would prefer wing cannons more like the Norgh, or maybe the Haj.
  • Wing angle seems too sharp when down in attack position, compare to the Norgh or Hegh'Ta for a better (wider) angle, the Haj is another example of too narrow an angle.

Varanus Fleet Support Vessel:
  • I love the Varanus, and I know, in the back of my mind, it needs something, but I can't figure out just what as of yet. I'll get back to you.

I haven't played around with the Marauder, Kar'Fi, or Garumba yet, so I don't feel confident making suggestions on them (yet).

Archived Post 07-10-2011 10:08 PM

Pretty sure its logan working on the new skins, not Heretic.

Archived Post 07-10-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatness (Post 3637318)

Yep, I make them do stuff, he makes them do stuff with class.

Archived Post 07-10-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatness (Post 3637318)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heretic
Yep, I make them do stuff, he makes them do stuff with class.

Well, I feel silly now. My intent is still good!

Logan, if you're reading this, my sincerest apologies.

Archived Post 07-11-2011 06:54 AM

Can't speak for the other kdf ships, but I'd like to make a few suggestions for the raptors.

I don't know if its just me, but I find the Pach and the Qorgh to be the most futuristic looking of the raptors, mostly due to the styling of the main part of the hull. So it would be nice to have a similiar style of hull for the Qin. Hopefully more on the Qorgh side of things.

Also I'd say the qin needs a more complex looking nacelle. Even if its just letting it use the nacelles of the Haj variant Hegh'ta bird of prey or even the same ones the Pach and Qorgh use.

For the Pach and Qorgh, a less futuristic skin would be appropriate, borrowing more from the Somraw and current Qin, less plated hulls, more smooth. And a solid neck for the Pach as I really disliked that about the Pach.

And ofcourse relating it all back to the somraw, for the mainstay keeping the upward slanting pylons, hefty head section and the hump situated between two long wings. Although the odd change is welcome as long as the selections are mostly like that.

And have weapon fire come from places that look like weapons. No heavy cannon shots from red dots please :)

Just my two bits worth, hope its given you some ideas for the poor mostly forgotten raptors

Archived Post 07-11-2011 11:05 AM

I'm all for more customization.

Though someone did have a thought in another thread about the possibility of some of the KDF ships keeping the lower tier options and just getting the new tier of parts added onto what they already had available...

The discussion was about BoP ships though, not sure how well that'd work for ships with differing geometry going up the tiers though.

Archived Post 07-11-2011 11:08 AM

I love the Varanus too. Except for pvp... I think it should be a little bigger like it used to be, especially considering how big we Gorn are now :) But I wouldn't change anything else. What I like to see however is a Gorn battleship or cruiser. Something that looks like a Varanus but a lot more massive.

And I would love to see a Gorn-Klingon hybrid ship. The vor'cha was the result of the alliance with the Federation so now that the Gorn Hegemony is ruled by the Klingon Empire, it would be nice to see what kind of ship they could come up with.

Archived Post 07-11-2011 11:13 AM

While skins are being addressed, would it be possible to give the K'tinga/D7 skins another pass? As they are now, at least as far as I can see on NPC ships, at long range there's no illumination, at medium range you can see the red grille on top of the engineering hull and the cyan glow from the nacelles, and at close range these details dissapear again. It'd be nice to have the mas options, much like the illuminated/not illuminated nacelle choices for the Excelsior.

Another battlecruiser skin for the Vor'cha would be good too, I think something similar in layout to the K'tnco, rather than other KDF cruisers, for extra variety. Many KDF players use DHCs, and it'd be cool to have a cruiser clearly "sporting" them so to speak. I also think inboard nacelles are kind of a cool touch in some cases. Also, as the Vor'cha has a skin you have to pay for, it'd make sense for it to have more free variety, much like the Comet/Maelstrom/Phoenix etc are complimenting an already full garage of ship skins.

Also, some new skins for the Kar'fi, Marauder and Garumba would be cool, just like changing the hull colour rather than new models. It'd give them more variety and personalisation options without having to compromise the unique design of these ships, which I thin is a strong point for them in each case.

Archived Post 07-11-2011 10:38 PM

AS Vor'Cha pilot i would welcome more skins for it! Hrmm, maybe something like a canard wing configuration style for the front. Should look pretty nifty with the rest of the hull configuration.

Archived Post 07-12-2011 03:22 AM

Yeah, another plus in the Vor'cha's favour is that it's at T4 and 5, so it's a skin people would get a lot of use out of potentially.