Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Galactic News Network (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Concerning Demo Accounts (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=223991)

Archived Post 07-13-2011 05:06 PM

Concerning Demo Accounts

Greetings!

We are working on some sweeping changes to the way the Demo (and Demo Accounts) functions for Star Trek Online. While these changes are underway, we have turned off the Star Trek Online Demo. This means that users who are currently not subscribed to Star Trek Online will not be able to access the Demo.

Please keep an eye on the homepage, where we will announce when our changes are ready and interested players can come try STO again without a retail key or a subscription.

Thanks!

Archived Post 07-13-2011 05:28 PM

F2P here we come! This is exciting.

Archived Post 07-13-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirkfat (Post 3642741)

That is quite the stretch. That takes quite a bit of time and resources.

Archived Post 07-13-2011 05:32 PM

sniff. sniff.. what is that I smell? oh.... it's Free-to-Play cooking on the stove....

Archived Post 07-13-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Staran (Post 3642747)
That is quite the stretch. That takes quite a bit of time and resources.

Yeah, you're probably right. Maybe it's wishful thinking.

Archived Post 07-13-2011 05:38 PM

It could also be related to ST Academy and Klingon Academy. They are suppossed to give us new tutorials and having to play as the Federation for the first six levels in order to unlock the KDF will also be a thing of the past.

Archived Post 07-13-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirkfat (Post 3642741)

Until we get a lot more content I don't think f2p is even on the radar. As the game is now too many people would play all the content in a month or less and drop it assuming features like foundry creation are still for paying customers only and the character slots are limited as they are in many f2p games.

Archived Post 07-13-2011 05:40 PM

While I think F2P would be great for the game, and am hopeful that it will happen someday, I don't think that day is today, so to speak. Dan has said several times in the past that they were unhappy with how limited the demo experience was. Hopefully this means that the Academies and a more expansive, and possibly unlimited time demo will be coming out sooner rather than later.

Archived Post 07-13-2011 05:44 PM

Yeah, a game has to be 'finished' and people have to have confidence in it for it to go F2P,

With no KDF content, bugs EVERYWHERE, no new content for 6 months (yes I know there is content coming) it isn't a good idea to go F2p now. Cryptic employees better not buy anything expensive if they want to go there now..

Archived Post 07-13-2011 05:54 PM

I'm personally not in favor of F2P and everygame I've seen transition to that model has made a negative impact on me - it's mostly ambiance related for me, I think. There are also, generally, things subscription-paying clients lose and need to purchase after the transition which they could take for granted before.

A better demo would certainly be desirable, though.