Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Need some advice - Which is better? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=223997)

Archived Post 07-13-2011 05:55 PM

Need some advice - Which is better?

Hey, all,

I was just wondering...which is better, to specialize in one particular weapon type (for beam and torpedoes) or to outfit with multiple types to cover more bases?

The reason I ask is that I have a fleet member telling me it's better to specialize in one particular weapon type of choice, but I seem to have done okay mounting weapons of varied types.

So I just want to know...am I doing it wrong?

For info sake, I'm an Engineer running the Galaxy retrofit; mounting phaser, polaron and disruptor beams and chrono & transphasic torpedoes.

Archived Post 07-13-2011 06:09 PM

It's cheaper skill point wise to specialize in one weapon set in either beams/cannons or torpedoes. Maxing out on only one weapon type allows you to improve your overall build in other areas. I've tried most of the different weapons, but really always tend to go back to phasers for beams/cannons since they are the cheapest to max out with skill points and I honestly seem to do better damage and defeat enemies faster.

For torps I'd stick with either photons or quantums. A bit cheaper on the skill points than the other torpedo sets. Nothing else really seems to hit that hard and the effects of the chroniton and transphasic have been hardly noticable to me. The tricobalt and plasma can be nice if you can get the high yield to land with the sheilds down, but they are painfully slow and easy to be shot down.

Overall though you should play the game however you enjoy it. Honestly in PvE you can probably do whatever and still be successful with your ship/weapon build, but if you are going to do PvP you should probably stick to one weapon and torp skill set so you can maximize your build in other areas.

Archived Post 07-14-2011 08:24 AM

Its most efficient to stick with only one weapon type.
To cover bases as you said, try to limit yourself to two types at max.

on torps, transphasic are pretty wortless,
chroniton helps slow a target down if you shoot with multiple warheads,
photon has better firing rate and dps,
though quantum hits harder.
plasma is ok, though heavy is shootable.
tricobolt is too slow for me.

Archived Post 07-16-2011 07:39 PM

Thanks for the responses so far, guys. I've been playing around with the STO Academy skill planner, and this is what I've come up with so far:

Potential skill build

I'd appreciate some suggestions :)

Archived Post 07-16-2011 08:14 PM

I think your build is a little too over the place with no real 'strengths' anywhere, even broadly.

You're not unlocking many special skills (to train bo's with) at all where you can, you're weakening your ships a certain % etc.

For engineer ground, I find you don't really need many points spent on ground with S4.

If for pve I would say go for it, but pvp, ground or space, I think you'll have issues with your entire build, especially in space.

And the way most of your skills are under 7 points....means hardly any of your ground or space BO skills, are popping at the same effectiveness as the person next to you.

Archived Post 07-16-2011 08:44 PM

You might want to review your skill point placement in your skill tree a little closer and try to determine whether some of the points you spent are helping or hindering you.

For instance, you can unspec for Starship Sensors, Tractor Beam, Spatial anamolies, Sensor Array and Deflector dish. They have no bearing on Science team or Hazard emitters .

I would also agree that you dont need to spend that many points on your ground skills since S4.

Now spread some of those extra points elsewhere and I think you'll be getting closer to the right track.

Archived Post 07-16-2011 10:57 PM

Thanks for all the help, guys. :)

I've taken your advice, and I think I've got a bit more specific and streamlined build; I've dropped a lot of the superfluous things.

@rooster75: The reason I specced into spatial anomaly was because I did not properly investigate all of STO Academy's skill planner's functions, and that it told me what skills each one was affecting. :) I'm a dunce, I admit.

Anyway, updated possible build: Potentila build 2

Archived Post 07-19-2011 02:54 PM

just a few quick notes...

switch Scit Team to 1 and Hazard Emitters to 2.
check out aceton field in place of warp plasma
if you don't want boarding party, try reverse shield polarity for more defense.
auz to SiF is a very handy skill to have.

Archived Post 07-19-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaShuk2381

For torps I'd stick with either photons or quantums. A bit cheaper on the skill points than the other torpedo sets. Nothing else really seems to hit that hard and the effects of the chroniton and transphasic have been hardly noticable to me. The tricobalt and plasma can be nice if you can get the high yield to land with the sheilds down, but they are painfully slow and easy to be shot down.

Nah, you dont need to specialize in torps at all. All you need is hargh'pengs.

Archived Post 07-20-2011 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seljek (Post 3651980)
Nah, you dont need to specialize in torps at all. All you need is hargh'pengs.

Those harghpengs cycle too long. Use normal torps.

Also, if you need a guide to skill point allocation, it's in my sig. First one.