Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   Bad Reviews = NOT our fault (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=224257)

Archived Post 07-15-2011 10:34 AM

Bad Reviews = NOT our fault

With the re-opening of the Foundry, many missions are still broken beyond usefulness. Mine is one of them.

Since the Foundry is now again accessible, I have the distinct honor of having received dozens of 1-star reviews because my broken mission was auto-republished without my consent or review, in a state unfit for playing.

http://yfrog.com/z/kiu74kzj

So my questions are:

1) Do we have Cryptic's assurance that this kind of thing won't happen again? Or should we manually un-publish our missions before every major patch so that we can remain in control of our projects?

2) Is there going to be anything done to allow us to remove these low ratings that were gained without our knowledge or control?

3) Can somebody please tell the general population of STO that the Foundry is freakin' broken, and ask them to either stop playing with it, or stop rating these missions with 1-star for the time being? Or turn off the auto-review pop-up? Just temporarily.

Archived Post 07-15-2011 10:40 AM

they have just closed off the missions again.

i was one of the people who unpublished my missions before they originally took it down so i have no idea how many 1 stars, if any that i got.

i looked at the reviews for spirits of ramok nor, and there was half a dozen 1 starts which really disappointed me because 1) it hurts his score and 2) people dont engage their brains. if you start a foundry mission that has 2000 play through directly after the biggest patch in the world and you start on a holodeck then its clearly broken and not the authors fault. dont 1 star it, PM the user or post on the forums. It's not rocket science.

i hope everything get rolled back, ratings, dialogue, everything to before S4.

Archived Post 07-15-2011 10:41 AM

You knew that Foundry was not in its final state right? Afaik its still some kinda of Beta thingy. So these things might be expected then,

Archived Post 07-15-2011 10:41 AM

I'm really hoping there'll be a way to rollback those 1-stars. *sigh* (I don't have an arc up yet, but I've had similar experiences so I sympathize completely.)

Archived Post 07-15-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borticus (Post 3645594)
With the re-opening of the Foundry, many missions are still broken beyond usefulness. Mine is one of them.

Since the Foundry is now again accessible, I have the distinct honor of having received dozens of 1-star reviews because my broken mission was auto-republished without my consent or review, in a state unfit for playing.

http://yfrog.com/z/kiu74kzj

So my questions are:

1) Do we have Cryptic's assurance that this kind of thing won't happen again? Or should we manually un-publish our missions before every major patch so that we can remain in control of our projects?

2) Is there going to be anything done to allow us to remove these low ratings that were gained without our knowledge or control?

3) Can somebody please tell the general population of STO that the Foundry is freakin' broken, and ask them to either stop playing with it, or stop rating these missions with 1-star for the time being? Or turn off the auto-review pop-up? Just temporarily.

i have not played any foundry missions since the patch first went live (had a look at 2 of my own but they were both broken)

anyway as for No. 1 ofcourse you cant have an assurance worth anything there are too many 'moving parts' on the foundry, if they change anything it's bound to cause a problem for someone so a major patch is bound to cause major disruption.

for the low ratings all you can do is hope that those players try the mission again and give it a real rating (i dont see why anyone would give a 1 star to something that is obviously broken and not just a bad mission)

i flicked onto the comuntiy authored tab today and it said 'search failed' so it looks like they have delt with your third request

Archived Post 07-15-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marctraider (Post 3645617)
You knew that Foundry was not in its final state right? Afaik its still some kinda of Beta thingy. So these things might be expected then,

beta is just a name. its still live and its still available to be played by everybody.

things go wrong with the game all the time and its not in beta any more. things will more than likely still go wrong after the foundry has left beta. i fully expect things to keep going wrong but that does not mean that we cant think of ways to minimise the damage in the future when something does go wrong.

when you pour your time and energy into something for other people to enjoy its no fun when it breaks and you get 1 stars and its even less fun when people do it without thinking for just a moment that it might not be the authors fault. i know not everybody keeps up to date with the latest bug fixes but it would not hurt to think before they automatically hit the 1 star review when something is obviously wrong.

Archived Post 07-15-2011 10:58 AM

Wow, that's really mean of players and really unfair for authors. IMPO, it's a poor design to not be able to adequately test the Foundry on anything but a live shard, especially when it's the player authors who get penalized for something beyond their control.

Edit: now, on top of everything else, they'll have to worry about someway of rolling back ratings prior to a specific date, lest authors be forced to reset their ratings from scratch :(

Archived Post 07-15-2011 03:18 PM

Yep yep, I kinda called it. Many people (including a couple of my cohosts) suggested I was out of line, but this is the sort of thing that happens. We as authors, as terrible as it is, are not only constantly battling random player's opinions, but also their random stupidity.

First rule of reviewing is that you review something for what it IS, not what it isn't, and if you can't EXPERIENCE the thing, you don't review it. However, most players of the Foundry just don't think about such things. And probably additionally just don't care, which results in these kinds of problems when things go wrong with Foundry. It's kind of why bugs in the Foundry should be the priority, not the bottom of the list -- if your button to run doesn't work, people figure out how to move around without running for a couple of days until its fixed. If your Foundry mission is bugged, those reviews are there for good, and no one is ever going to come back around and try to give it a better rating. That just doesn't happen.

Good news is, Mapolis has posted a comment at StarbaseUGC.com that outlines the dev's plan to get people's broken missions fixed again. It sounds time consuming and is certainly not ideal if they have to do this sort of thing every couple of months, but it seems to work. Whether or not the reviews will be rolled back with your mission, however, remains to be seen.

Archived Post 07-15-2011 03:51 PM

The Foundry has always suffered from random bug problems. I my self have been the victum of a few harsh reviews due to Foundry bugs. I would, however, prefer the bugs to not having The Foundry at all.

Archived Post 07-15-2011 04:03 PM

I know this won't come to anyone's comfort but I didn't receive a single 1 star review as I withdrew my missions seconds after they auto-republished. I have 6 missions, and only my first one was affected by Foundry bugs. I was redoing my first mission at the same time anyways so it doesn't matter.

But I did receive a 1 star review on the old tribble versions of my missions because of that Foundry holodeck problem. I found it very irritating and silly that someone would actually believe people would create a mission that ends up in a holodeck and have no objectives in it so you cannot complete it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
2) people dont engage their brains

I agree with you Revo, I wish people would engage their brains :mad: