Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   3d UI (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=225453)

Archived Post 07-24-2011 06:22 AM

3d UI

STO in 3d is visually stunning :D (this might be an understatement) - my hat off to all the artists.

There is a total of one downside - the UI:
Keeping the menus and controls in the foreground is a given (although if there was the option to have them tilt inwards slightly it would be better)
It's the boxes and descriptions around objects that need a little TLC - they should be at the same depth as the object instead of just being flat.
Having other options to minimise most of the rest of the UI, like the chat window, would be cool.

Instead of alt-f12 just toggling the UI on and off I'd like to cycle through a few custom settings between "on" and "off".

Archived Post 07-24-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevRnd
STO in 3d is visually stunning :D (this might be an understatement) - my hat off to all the artists.

There is a total of one downside - the UI:
Keeping the menus and controls in the foreground is a given (although if there was the option to have them tilt inwards slightly it would be better)
It's the boxes and descriptions around objects that need a little TLC - they should be at the same depth as the object instead of just being flat.
Having other options to minimise most of the rest of the UI, like the chat window, would be cool.

I second this as i also got nvidia 3d vision... as us brizzle peeps say in the uk its gert lush :D

Archived Post 07-24-2011 03:04 PM

I cant use 3D stuff because I get migraines. :( But movies in 3D generally suck anyway... too bad you cant take pics of the 3Dness to share with us.

Archived Post 07-24-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aisling
I cant use 3D stuff because I get migraines. :( But movies in 3D generally suck anyway... too bad you cant take pics of the 3Dness to share with us.

ud probably need a 3d screen to view those pictures XD

Archived Post 07-24-2011 05:23 PM

Probly.. which is way I said "too bad" lol

Archived Post 07-25-2011 04:09 PM

After some experimentation I've found that you really do need to follow NVidias guide as to what needs to be turned off or turned down.

Also, sacrifice some resolution for frame rate - 60Hz 3d at 1280x720 is easily better than anything at 24Hz (I was starting to feel ill at 24Hz)

Connected the PC up to my 3D TV and repeated the tests, just to be sure - a 60Hz picture is quite out of this world :cool:

Archived Post 07-25-2011 09:05 PM

yeah, i use it the odd time, but after a while the eyes get soar

Works pretty well for the most part. Wouldnt use it if doing an STF, just for bit of fun.

Odd graphic can be out of place or have a strange shade.

Does not work well on a dual monitor set up.

Common problem is people forgetting to apply the 120 refresh rate, lol