Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   What exactly does Shield Power do? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=225573)

Archived Post 07-25-2011 03:11 PM

What exactly does Shield Power do?

A simple question but what does Shield Power actually effect? I understand what the other power bars do for you but does Shield Power do anything but increase Shield Regen?

Archived Post 07-25-2011 03:14 PM

no it just increases shield regen. I find it actually helps a lot even with my covarient shields

Archived Post 07-25-2011 03:19 PM

it also helps with shield buffs- the more power to your shields, the better powers such as EPT:S, science team, rotate shield frequency, etc... work as well- if you run shields on 25 and pop EPT:S it (obviously) won't work as well than at 50/75/100. it could help with resistances that are tied into your BOFF powers, but im not really sure about that, just an assumption.

Archived Post 07-25-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summit (Post 3662977)
no it just increases shield regen. I find it actually helps a lot even with my covarient shields

This is incorrect...

Q: How do shield resistances (or Shield Damage Reduction) work?
Recently the discussion came up on how Shield Resistances work and stack. Some tests and a clarification by snix provided the answer.
Shield resistance are described in percentages, e.g. by how much the damage your shields take are reduced. Shield Resistances stack multiplicative. If you have value of n % as shield resistance, the damage you receive is multiplied by 1 - (n / 100). For example, if you have 25 % Shield Resistance, you have 1 - (25/100) = 0.75 as damage mutlpilier. If you have 2 shield resistance sources, you multiply these values. So, if you have 15 % shield resistance from shield power and 20 % from a shield resistance granting power, the effective value is 0.85 * 0.8 = 0.68 or 32 % damage reduction. There is also a 75 % cap for the final value of your resistance.
Note on terminology: Since Armor and Shield have different formuals on stacking and how the yare applied overall, I and others prefer to refer to shield resistance as "Shield Damage Reduction" (SDR).
(Copied from: MustrumRidcully's Insights Thread)

The SDR from your Shield Power Level is calculated at .28% SDR per point of Shield Power Level, up to a maximum of 35% at 125 Shield Power.

Additionally, Shield Power also, as mentioned, affects your regeneration rate, at a rate of +4% per point above 25 Shield Power (that is the 'modified' Power Level, not the slider level); thus, Shield Power Level [SPL] 50 will give you 100% of your base regeneration rate; SPL 75 will give you 200%, SPL 100 gives you 300%, and SPL 125 gives you 400% of your base regen. (Also note, SPL 25 or lower gives you NO regen.)

-Big Red Goomba

Archived Post 07-25-2011 04:04 PM

Unless they changed things since I came back, it also effects your bleedthrough rate. On top of whatever your shields natively do. In other words, how much damage you take through shields when someone is firing at you and your shields are up.

Archived Post 07-25-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZATZAi (Post 3663057)
Unless they changed things since I came back, it also effects your bleedthrough rate. On top of whatever your shields natively do. In other words, how much damage you take through shields when someone is firing at you and your shields are up.

It is more that it grants you extra Shield Damage Reduction [SDR], which, in turn, reduces the amount of bleedthrough that you are seeing.

-Big Red

Archived Post 07-25-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZATZAi (Post 3663057)

It reduces the amount of damage you take (and in turn reduces the bleedthrough), but you'll still take 10% of your incoming damage as bleedthrough - unless you use Resilient Shields, which only have a 5% bleedthrough rate.

Archived Post 07-25-2011 06:30 PM

The shield regeneration rate.

Archived Post 07-25-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nite (Post 3663261)
The shield regeneration rate.

..:confused::confused:.. you just had to see several posts with info saying it was more than just that...and those posts were right..

Archived Post 07-25-2011 09:21 PM

Thanks Muchly Jedi. That definitely answered my question.