Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Art of Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=216)
-   -   Jupiter uniform variant 3 issue... (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=225891)

Archived Post 07-27-2011 11:29 PM

Jupiter uniform variant 3 issue...

Hey guys,

Anyone else noticed that on the third variant of the Jupiter uniform, on male characters, the belt/uniform ribbing sits in the wrong place?

It's an annoying nitpick as it's actually one of my favourites of the set, but the issue doesn't affect female characters - whose belts tend to ride higher.

...Reminds me of school kids who wear their pants around their thighs as they think 'low suspension' looks good on human anatomy.

http://bluekae.com/wp-content/upload...r_uniforms.jpg

(See male character on the left...)

For all I know, it's supposed to look like that, but when viewed next to a female character wearing the same variant with a belt, it just looks wrong. Moving the belt up might look even worse, however, so perhaps on the male variant... that 'band' could be moved down closer to the waist, to sit under the belt. :)

Archived Post 07-28-2011 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koppenflak
Hey guys,

Anyone else noticed that on the third variant of the Jupiter uniform, on male characters, the belt/uniform ribbing sits in the wrong place?

It's an annoying nitpick as it's actually one of my favourites of the set, but the issue doesn't affect female characters - whose belts tend to ride higher.

...Reminds me of school kids who wear their pants around their thighs as they think 'low suspension' looks good on human anatomy.

http://bluekae.com/wp-content/upload...r_uniforms.jpg

(See male character on the left...)

For all I know, it's supposed to look like that, but when viewed next to a female character wearing the same variant with a belt, it just looks wrong. Moving the belt up might look even worse, however, so perhaps on the male variant... that 'band' could be moved down closer to the waist, to sit under the belt. :)

I have asked for exactly the same thing, but no one seem to care very much.
I too think that the male variant looks rediculus, but since everyones crew (obviously) consists of little skirt wearing girlies, no one seems to be bothered by it.:D

Good luck, my good man.:)

Live long and prosper.

Archived Post 07-28-2011 03:51 PM

Fixing the belt would be awesome. It's really my biggest peeve with the set.

I prefer Jupiter 3 because is vaguely matches the Admiral coat, and, more importantly, it has that WoK feel while being of modern (2409) material construction.

The one thing missing to complete the Future WoK illusion? The belt.

With the belt so drastically misplaced, I can't complete the illusion.

Archived Post 07-28-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jexsam (Post 3669791)
Fixing the belt would be awesome. It's really my biggest peeve with the set.

I prefer Jupiter 3 because is vaguely matches the Admiral coat, and, more importantly, it has that WoK feel while being of modern (2409) material construction.

The one thing missing to complete the Future WoK illusion? The belt.

With the belt so drastically misplaced, I can't complete the illusion.

Agreed. It'd be a fairly minor adjustment too, as all you'd really need to do is move a few pixels on the texture maps :D

Archived Post 07-28-2011 08:40 PM

Yeah, it bugged me as well, so the crew that wears that uniform just doesn't use the belt, except the first officer (who happens to be female). My Admiral wears the Mirror TOS belt instead, which actually lines right up (go figure).

Quote:

Agreed. It'd be a fairly minor adjustment too, as all you'd really need to do is move a few pixels on the texture maps :D

Well, its probably a bit trickier than that, since you'd have to do it without stretching or chopping the texture around it (the Jupiter uniforms, particularly that one, have wonderfully detailed maps all over), and of course you'd have to make sure the specular and normal maps stayed synched up to the changes as well, or you'd get all kinds of ugliness going on. MIGHT be relatively trivial, depending on how their source files are set up, but then again maybe not.

Archived Post 07-29-2011 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chookhlo (Post 3670233)
Yeah, it bugged me as well, so the crew that wears that uniform just doesn't use the belt, except the first officer (who happens to be female). My Admiral wears the Mirror TOS belt instead, which actually lines right up (go figure).

Well, its probably a bit trickier than that, since you'd have to do it without stretching or chopping the texture around it (the Jupiter uniforms, particularly that one, have wonderfully detailed maps all over), and of course you'd have to make sure the specular and normal maps stayed synched up to the changes as well, or you'd get all kinds of ugliness going on. MIGHT be relatively trivial, depending on how their source files are set up, but then again maybe not.

Being a 3D modeller myself, it SHOULD be trivial. Off the top of my head, assuming a UV map that has been placed on the Y-X axis, the only change that should really be necessary (and this is a dirty solution) is to select "X" area of the texture, and for each variant you have (Bump, Specular, Normal, Colour, etc) apply the same vertical movement of, let's say, 50 pixels.

So long as the alterations to each texture are the same - and this can be done with exacting precision with some of Photoshop's action-record tools - the change is easy.

It's a trivial solution, assuming their textures were made to be as simple (which is good) as possible.

Archived Post 07-29-2011 01:44 AM

Quote:

Being a 3D modeller myself, it SHOULD be trivial. Off the top of my head, assuming a UV map that has been placed on the Y-X axis, the only change that should really be necessary (and this is a dirty solution) is to select "X" area of the texture, and for each variant you have (Bump, Specular, Normal, Colour, etc) apply the same vertical movement of, let's say, 50 pixels.

So long as the alterations to each texture are the same - and this can be done with exacting precision with some of Photoshop's action-record tools - the change is easy.

It's a trivial solution, assuming their textures were made to be as simple (which is good) as possible.

Well, messy is the key issue - its not like the only thing on the texture there is the belt. there's mottling and seams and such all over that thing - every inch seems to be detailed. The only way I can see it being relatively trivial is if the appropriate elements (the belt elastic and associated shadowing) are still on their own layers in Photoshop, and its simply a matter of shifting them down a bit. If they're baked in, or the under-layer is otherwise customized to support the belt there, its going to get a lot messier to move it, with alot of cleanup of the big rectangular blank spot you'll be leaving where the belt used to be. Hardly impossible, but not precisely trivial, as then you're talking about a partial re-paint.

Archived Post 07-29-2011 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chookhlo (Post 3670490)
Well, messy is the key issue - its not like the only thing on the texture there is the belt. there's mottling and seams and such all over that thing - every inch seems to be detailed. The only way I can see it being relatively trivial is if the appropriate elements (the belt elastic and associated shadowing) are still on their own layers in Photoshop, and its simply a matter of shifting them down a bit. If they're baked in, or the under-layer is otherwise customized to support the belt there, its going to get a lot messier to move it, with alot of cleanup of the big rectangular blank spot you'll be leaving where the belt used to be. Hardly impossible, but not precisely trivial, as then you're talking about a partial re-paint.

Any CG or texture artist worth his salt knows the clone-stamp tool is the single most brilliant tool in photoshop. :p

If we were talking about amateurs, I would concede your point, but the people running this gig are professional artists. Such a basic change in a texture really should be a non-issue.

Archived Post 07-29-2011 10:40 AM

Quote:

Any CG or texture artist worth his salt knows the clone-stamp tool is the single most brilliant tool in photoshop. :p

If we were talking about amateurs, I would concede your point, but the people running this gig are professional artists. Such a basic change in a texture really should be a non-issue.

I shall bow to your expertise then!:D Texturing was always my least favorite part of the process anyway. I'd still say you're looking at at least half a day spent when you factor in iteration and testing time (because NOTHING ever seems to go in as easily as it should), and I wouldn't consider anything over 15 minutes work "trivial". Not a huge amount of time, but as a very small team, the devs schedules seem somewhat tight.