Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Target $target ... *sigh* (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=226142)

Archived Post 07-29-2011 07:17 AM

Target $target ... *sigh*

Hey folks,

I'm wondering what you do to coordinate your random PuG now to a capable fighting force in space-arena matches? Since that command line doesn't work anymore in teamchat (why has it even been changed?! :mad: ) since Season 4 introduction, I lack my key ability to tell my group to focus fire on certain someone.
Before I was many times the squad leader, keeping an overall eye on the enemy ships and spot weaknesses and direct focus fire on it. Now it's only frustrating to see everyone shoots at a different target and any target won't be overwhwelmed due to the pretty heavy heals from teammates.

Archived Post 07-29-2011 07:21 AM

I don't bother trying anymore, I just kill what I can and focus my fire on the target with the most allies firing on it. I really don't think cryptic know what they're doing, they keep doing stoopid stuff like this and it's getting annoying.

Archived Post 07-29-2011 07:29 AM

In every group I've gotten into since they've taken it out everyone has the same answer 'shoot at whatever the first guy is shooting at' even if it's a bad target. Makes pugs even more of a mess then usual.

Archived Post 07-29-2011 07:56 AM

I can perhaps, if it does not violate any rules, provide a temporary workaround. It won't be perfect, and it will be a little cumbersome compared to a simple wee bind, but it will work.

A while ago I created a program to facilitate targeting players on ground. I gave it to tranceaddict, not sure how he got on with it.

A few small changes can easily change it from a targeting macro to a target call macro.

Again, provided it does not violate any rules, I hope someone can comment on that, I am happy to post the source code here. I will state categorically, this batch file makes absolutely no changes whatsoever to the game client, it simply generates a bind text-file that contains the strings instructing who to target. All you have to do is enter your target names into the interface, it will generate a bind file for you, and also copy the "/bind_load_file" command with the filename attached so you just need to paste it into the chat window and hit enter.

Basically it will take you as long as it takes to write 5 names to generate the file.

Archived Post 07-29-2011 08:06 AM

Woah, that sounds extremely useful. If you could please send me a link, I'd be grateful.

Archived Post 07-29-2011 08:24 AM

Posting the code here would be more appropriate I think, it would also give transparency in case people are worried about what it might be doing. Anyone who understands batch files will be able to confirm it is not viral in any fashion.

Before I do that though, I would like some sort of assurance from somebody in the know that it does not violate any rules :), though I don't see why it would...

Archived Post 07-29-2011 08:52 AM

I have no idea if it would break the rules or not, unfortunately. And I suspect you would not get a reply on that from Cryptic either. And certainly not a positive one, just so that they can be on the safe side when someone tries to find precedence for why his real hack/exploit should be fine.

Archived Post 07-29-2011 10:11 AM

Fair enough. Hope that it is kosher. :)

Archived Post 07-29-2011 12:42 PM

Any pugs dumb enough to take all different targets when the fight starts are not going to win even if they focus fired.
Although, targeting a couple different people is not a bad idea, it confuses the healer. I usually shoot at a different target than my team and switch targets very often so that the healer has to waste heals on the person my team is not focused on.

I may get a lot of flack for it, but that won us a match last night in a near premade setting when the other team had some very competent healers.

Archived Post 07-30-2011 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artificialx
Posting the code here would be more appropriate I think, it would also give transparency in case people are worried about what it might be doing. Anyone who understands batch files will be able to confirm it is not viral in any fashion.

Before I do that though, I would like some sort of assurance from somebody in the know that it does not violate any rules :), though I don't see why it would...

So long as it is only generating a bind file, which is already a type of file that the game interface permits us to employ, there should be no reason that it would violate the EULA, you are simply providing a tool to generate the specific type of file that could be created, manually, by any user.

As I see it, all you are doing is simplifying the step of needing to manually write the keybind strings into a new bind file, so you should be fine.

-Big Red Goomba