Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   hargh peng torpedo boat? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=226277)

Archived Post 07-30-2011 03:02 AM

hargh peng torpedo boat?
 
i run the MVAM and have started considering the hargh peng torpedoes. but what about a full hargh peng torpedo boat. thats a lot of hull damage especially considering the after effect. or what about a defiant torpedo boat. as soon as the shields go low you uncloak and open up with up to 4 torpedos and the next 15 sec should see the hull fall apart even if the shields go back up. thoughts and ideas anyone.

Archived Post 07-30-2011 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geom (Post 3672742)
i run the MVAM and have started considering the hargh peng torpedoes. but what about a full hargh peng torpedo boat. thats a lot of hull damage especially considering the after effect. or what about a defiant torpedo boat. as soon as the shields go low you uncloak and open up with up to 4 torpedos and the next 15 sec should see the hull fall apart even if the shields go back up. thoughts and ideas anyone.

Since the pengs will most likely be changed to have a longer cooldown, it would probably be foolish to consider this.. Besides, why use these fire and wait weapons, when you can take out everything quite fast with 4 Dual Heavies?

Archived Post 07-30-2011 03:21 AM

i don think they should be changed theres nothing wrong with them. they do do a good bit of immediate damage normally just less than quantum's. im just theorising more than anything. just redone the doomsday mission so i have 2 launchers now and am considering uses. also what if i keep my normal fore weapons ie dual heavies. dual beam bank maybe a torpedo and have 3 pengs on the fore. fly in cause the damage and just as i pass open up with the pengs. could be devastating. it would be a nightmare to try and heal . i normally just have turrets on the rear so it no really losing much

Archived Post 07-30-2011 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geom (Post 3672761)
i don think they should be changed theres nothing wrong with them. they do do a good bit of immediate damage normally just less than quantum's. im just theorising more than anything. just redone the doomsday mission so i have 2 launchers now and am considering uses. also what if i keep my normal fore weapons ie dual heavies. dual beam bank maybe a torpedo and have 3 pengs on the fore. fly in cause the damage and just as i pass open up with the pengs. could be devastating. it would be a nightmare to try and heal . i normally just have turrets on the rear so it no really losing much

The problem is that the Torpedos function more like Tricobalts than Quantuns.. Being able to put 5 procs on an opponent within 15 seconds isnt exactly a recipe for balance.

And a escort is still better off using cannons ;)

Archived Post 07-30-2011 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelineAaele (Post 3672752)
Since the pengs will most likely be changed to have a longer cooldown, it would probably be foolish to consider this.. Besides, why use these fire and wait weapons, when you can take out everything quite fast with 4 Dual Heavies?

Longer CDs don't solve the problem.
I tried this setup(Dual Phaser, array, 2x har'peng; 2x Array 2x harpeng) just for fun a bit before it became popular and am using it ever since.
Why? Because there is no way to stop it.

Now for why longer CDs won't solve the problem:
Cruisers are still turning very slow, so even if they increase the CD my setups like the one stated would still work out fine.

The only way to resolve this issue is making them unique, or at least reducing the maximum amount of equippable har'Pengs to two.

Right now its a perfect setup for slow turning cruisers....


As for the OP case: See MelineAaele's post.
Escorts are turning fast, so your damage output is a lot higher when using cannons and Quantum/Photons
Its good for cruisers because the CD is about the time they need to turn around...

Archived Post 07-30-2011 03:53 AM

i have taken an interest for unique items etc. im gonna give 1 peng a go instead of a quantum but i will probably change.just trying stuff

Archived Post 07-30-2011 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt_Dracon_Darknight (Post 3672773)
Longer CDs don't solve the problem.
I tried this setup(Dual Phaser, array, 2x har'peng; 2x Array 2x harpeng) just for fun a bit before it became popular and am using it ever since.
Why? Because there is no way to stop it.

Now for why longer CDs won't solve the problem:
Cruisers are still turning very slow, so even if they increase the CD my setups like the one stated would still work out fine.

The only way to resolve this issue is making them unique, or at least reducing the maximum amount of equippable har'Pengs to two.

Right now its a perfect setup for slow turning cruisers....


As for the OP case: See MelineAaele's post.
Escorts are turning fast, so your damage output is a lot higher when using cannons and Quantum/Photons
Its good for cruisers because the CD is about the time they need to turn around...

Naw, best setup for cruisers is full beams or cannons/turrets.. 2x EP2W1 and a RCS console and you eat through opponents with relative ease. And for DPS an Cannon Excelsior is amazing :)

Im Leecheh in that pic, Imisei and Arianna were both escorts, and there were a few escorts more.

Archived Post 07-30-2011 03:57 AM

You want to fly in a peng-boat. Get in a Nebula like everyone else out there doing it. :p

Archived Post 07-30-2011 10:50 AM

I cenently wondered what 20 peng torpedo boats would do against the Crystalline Entity. That's how much kinetic damage in how many seconds?

Archived Post 07-30-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelineAaele (Post 3672752)
Since the pengs will most likely be changed to have a longer cooldown, it would probably be foolish to consider this.. Besides, why use these fire and wait weapons, when you can take out everything quite fast with 4 Dual Heavies?

I wish that peiople would get off of the "Nerf Boat." The devs already made adjustments to the harpeng torpedo. They do not need to be changed anymore.

I think a Peng boat would be fun in PVP. Just make sure that you have a tank build if you run it.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:35 PM.