Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   PvP and looting (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=226345)

Archived Post 07-30-2011 04:35 PM

PvP and looting
 
Had a thought during PvP right now.

I think it would be cool to have the option of a death penalty in PvP matches.
Like a rare chance of losing any piece of gear for dying that the opposing team can loot.
of course you'd need two "difficulty" settings then for PvP to keep casual playing viable.
But nothing should be save. not even bound and unique items.
Non STF people would have a valid chance to get STF gear that way or Klingons could steal some Pengs back...
Winning it in PvP would be a very prestigious thing i believe.
And it would give people a reason to replay STFs more at the same time to get they precious Borg shield back if they are so unlucky to lose it.
Better keep a spare in your inventory then.
Also everything in your inventory could also be looted of course as well as a percentage of your credits.

Any thoughts on this?

Archived Post 07-30-2011 04:47 PM

when i spend 100mil EC on one piece of gear that comes from a random drop once in 1,000,000 drops, I expect that piece of gear to stay mine until I choose to discard or vendor it.

This isn't eve.

Archived Post 07-30-2011 04:53 PM

No thanks do not want.

Archived Post 07-30-2011 04:53 PM

I'd rather see more encouragement and incentive for PvP, to get more players involved. The suggestion in the OP will do neither.

Archived Post 07-30-2011 04:56 PM

Sure, maybe the day we get real PvP and not arena based PvP.
Death Penalties in Arena type PvP would be great fail.

Not to mentioned it would be extremely unbalanced and give cruisers a science ships one whopper of a massive advantage over Escorts, and Klingons.

Archived Post 07-30-2011 05:12 PM

Well I just consider it food for thought and play around with the idea to see if it was possible to make it work. :)
Don't dismiss it right away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceroid (Post 3673696)
when i spend 100mil EC on one piece of gear that comes from a random drop once in 1,000,000 drops, I expect that piece of gear to stay mine until I choose to discard or vendor it.

This isn't eve.

Well, you don't have to bring THAT piece of gear along then. BTW. Isn't it a bit insane to spend that much money on one piece of pixels? I don't think I ever had that much credits on all my 8 toons combined.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kemotherapy
I'd rather see more encouragement and incentive for PvP, to get more players involved. The suggestion in the OP will do neither.

As I said. player could choose to enter a casual PvP match or one of these "high stakes, everything goes" matches.
Casual would be just like it's now basically.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexraptor (Post 3673708)
Sure, maybe the day we get real PvP and not arena based PvP.
Death Penalties in Arena type PvP would be great fail.

Not to mentioned it would be extremely unbalanced and give cruisers a science ships one whopper of a massive advantage over Escorts, and Klingons.

You got a point here. But maybe that could be balanced out if a damage dealer gets a hihger chance to gain something in return. And of course a lose cap should be in place so you dont get stripped in one match if extremely unlucky.
1 or 2 loses per match at the max. Maybe even only 1 per day and then only on a 1% chance. Would that still be too unbalanced?

Archived Post 07-30-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timelord_Victorious
As I said. player could choose to enter a casual PvP match or one of these "high stakes, everything goes" matches.
Casual would be just like it's now basically.

From what I gather, the PvP community isn't all that large. Splitting the community in half isn't all that productive to fostering more PvP, as your suggestion would surely do. Either that, or no one would bother queuing for the lootable PvP, and it'd be wasted development time and resources which could have been better directed elsewhere.

It's more efficient to generate content that appeals to a wide section of your customer base than to focus on a specific niche, which is probably miniscule at best in comparison to the broader base. As such, and as I mentioned before, I'd rather see PvP content that provides more incentive, and encourages PvP on a broad spectrum, rather than something that will discourage PvP, or segregate the PvP community.

Archived Post 07-30-2011 05:23 PM

Maybe a Very Rare Mk XI (or even XII) random drop at the end of a match, sure, but not something off of someone's ship.

Archived Post 07-30-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvs5191 (Post 3673738)
Maybe a Very Rare Mk XI (or even XII) random drop at the end of a match, sure, but not something off of someone's ship.

Yes, this would be much more beneficial. Random loot generated for the winners of the match to roll on.

Archived Post 07-30-2011 05:56 PM

Could cryptic just put a prompt in at pvp startup that would let you place an item on the line... that way if nobody from the other team chose this nobody would be out anything. Kind of like a gamble/bet at the begining. Just an idea, pvp needs something.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:03 PM.