Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Starfleet Standard - an endgame set proposal (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=226347)

Archived Post 07-30-2011 05:45 PM

Starfleet Standard - an endgame set proposal

One thing I've noticed playing the game is once people get to the endgame, there's very little investiture in stuff that canocally would be starfleet standard- I see more ships mounting tetryons or polarons- or even antiprotons than I do phasers, almost nobody mounts photon torpedoes, and everyone runs either the Borg or the Aegis set.

Now, there are good reasons for all of this of course, but it still bugs me just a bit- I'd love for there to be some way to encourage people to fly canon-compliant setups, so what better way than a endgame item set?

Compared to the other sets, this set would be weapons/console focused. I'm thinking special weapons with a 'Starfleet' prefix.

So you'd have:

Stafleet Phaser Beam Array
Starfleet Photon Torpedo Launcher
Starfleet Quantum Torpedo Launcher

and then a console for each Engineering/Science/Tactical

These items would not auto-scale, but they'd be endgame content- Rear Admiral/ XI or XII level kit.

I figure each would provide a main bonus similar to other items of their level, but would have a secondary bonus that would encourage you to run a full kit- maybe +1 to associated power levels, so if you're running a cruiser with full Starfleet Kit, you'd have +8 to weapons power, +3 to auxillary- something along those lines. Alternatively, +efficiency/training/whatever could all be interesting.

I'm sure for a visual effect the devs could tie in that nice white texture CapLogan is working on.

Thoughts?

(This idea could easily work for Klinks too, just replace 'Starfleet' with 'KDF/Klingon/Imperial'- whatever.

Archived Post 08-02-2011 08:30 AM

No thanks I like being able to choose what I want and there is more than enough of a variety right now.

Archived Post 08-02-2011 08:34 AM

I rather like this idea. I currently run the borg set with hidden visuals and a set of purple emblem phaser beam arrays and quantum torpedo launchers.

Archived Post 08-02-2011 11:14 AM

I run the Aegis set with visuals turned off, and all of my ships run Phaser weapons. Either arrays or Canons.

Archived Post 08-02-2011 03:59 PM

I guess I'm trying to understand the need for a special set of traditional Federation starship weaponry? Are there not Mark XII Phasers and Photon Torpedoes available? And couldn't they be crafted to uncommon or rare stats? Or are those just not competitive with stats of the other weapon types at this point of the game?

Archived Post 08-04-2011 10:32 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing some purple quality Infinite MK phasers and torpedos for the Federation, and Disruptors for the KDF purchaceable at endgame. As a kicker, they could have the anti-borg modifier on them, since that is the major reason why many players equip them.