Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Which is a better combo? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=226490)

Archived Post 08-01-2011 03:37 AM

Which is a better combo?
 
2xCRF 1 + APB 2/3
or
2xAPB 1 + CRF 2/3

I have run both setups, but to be frank, I often struggle to distinguish the difference. I guess I could just sit down and do some testing, but I was hoping maybe someone here has the answer already. I would be interested in how it affects both burst and long term damage. I just wish the stats were directly comparable, but one is percent and one is a number, and I honestly don't understand enough to compare.

Please no comments on run omega instead or something like that, I'm just asking about the above comparison for now.

Archived Post 08-01-2011 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artificialx
2xCRF 1 + APB 2/3
or
2xAPB 1 + CRF 2/3

I have run both setups, but to be frank, I often struggle to distinguish the difference. I guess I could just sit down and do some testing, but I was hoping maybe someone here has the answer already. I would be interested in how it affects both burst and long term damage. I just wish the stats were directly comparable, but one is percent and one is a number, and I honestly don't understand enough to compare.

Please no comments on run omega instead or something like that, I'm just asking about the above comparison for now.

Id go CRF2+3

Archived Post 08-01-2011 03:57 AM

CRF 3/2, for sure.

Archived Post 08-01-2011 04:49 AM

Ok, thanks, that is what I am currently running, but it strikes me that APB 2/3 are better group debuffs, in that they help my whole team rather than just myself. A strong debuff on a mutual target sounds like a better thing than personal damage buffs, at least in theory. It would certainly give more whack to my BO3 strike too. Sometimes I think my build should be less.....selfish, for lack of a better word.

Do we have any numbers guys, or are we just going by personal experience?

Archived Post 08-01-2011 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artificialx
Ok, thanks, that is what I am currently running, but it strikes me that APB 2/3 are better group debuffs, in that they help my whole team rather than just myself. A strong debuff on a mutual target sounds like a better thing than personal damage buffs, at least in theory. It would certainly give more whack to my BO3 strike too. Sometimes I think my build should be less.....selfish, for lack of a better word.

Do we have any numbers guys, or are we just going by personal experience?

If youre in a team, it shouldnt matter much if you use Beta 1 or 3, the Focustarget should always have multiple debuffs on them, and besides.. Its to simple for them to just hit TacTeam and remove your commander ability from the equation.

Archived Post 08-01-2011 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelineAaele (Post 3675827)
Its to simple for them to just hit TacTeam and remove your commander ability from the equation.

True enough...

Archived Post 08-01-2011 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artificialx
2xCRF 1 + APB 2/3
or
2xAPB 1 + CRF 2/3

I have run both setups, but to be frank, I often struggle to distinguish the difference. I guess I could just sit down and do some testing, but I was hoping maybe someone here has the answer already. I would be interested in how it affects both burst and long term damage. I just wish the stats were directly comparable, but one is percent and one is a number, and I honestly don't understand enough to compare.

Please no comments on run omega instead or something like that, I'm just asking about the above comparison for now.

From a strictly numeric standpoint, look at it this way, all the higher level APB's will do for you is increase your bleedthrough a bit, so long as your target has at least a sliver of shields remaining. Once their shields are down, you'll get a bigger return from the higher-level APB's.

On the flipside, that extra +10/20% damage modifier from CRF2/3 (as compared to CRF1) gives you increased damage against both shields and hull, and the additional 10/20% damage is roughly comparable to the difference in bonus damage against hull from APB2/3 (as long as your target has pre-existing damage resistance of some kind).

The one are where the higher level APB's are most beneficial is when stacked with other sources of DR de-buffs, whether it is FoMM or Sensor Scan (as the primary examples), because the multiplicative effect of DR de-buffs is magnified, the greater your negative resistance is compared to their usual resistance.

Perhaps the biggest argument against the higher level APB's, however, is actually the simplest one: With the prevalence of Tactical Team (especially on enemy Escorts), the APB de-buff is frequently wiped away without any effect, while the bonus damage of CRF2/3 cannot be countered by the most prevalent low-level Tac power in-game.

Hope that helps,
-Big Red

Archived Post 08-01-2011 07:45 AM

Also, APB gets wiped out by TacTeam. Now that everyone and their mother is carrying one of those, I really find a hard time justifying anything more than a level 1 Beta/Delta. Especially when you can have RF 2/3 in those higher level positions, giving you higher damage regardless of TacTeam.

Archived Post 08-01-2011 07:54 AM

Yea the tac team comments are very apt, seems like it would be foolish to use higher iterations. Now it makes me re-think Omega too...

Archived Post 08-01-2011 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artificialx
Yea the tac team comments are very apt, seems like it would be foolish to use higher iterations. Now it makes me re-think Omega too...

You should be fine with Omega; it doesn't place any sort of debuff on your opponent (it's straight self-buff), so TacTeam won't do anything to it.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:21 PM.