Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Galactic News Network (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   TTH's Second Look at STO (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=226688)

Archived Post 08-02-2011 11:43 AM

TTH's Second Look at STO
 
Ten Ton Hammer gives STO a second look. Give it a read here.

Link to the news article.

Archived Post 08-02-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Klingon players need more official content
Yup... <.< I'm also surprised he didn't at all touch on all the bugs with S4 launch.. like pathing issues, breaking foundry, auto-attack breaking, some FA's not working as intended...etc.

Archived Post 08-02-2011 12:00 PM

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~GM Tiyshen

Archived Post 08-02-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gypsy_Blade
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~GM Tiyshen

okay, as much as I love lotro, I had to laugh at your request...

While Lotro certainly has more content than STO (even at launch, lotro had more content than STO) Long term bugs and broken skills have plagued that game also, as have long content gaps... I believe one lasted for around 6-8 months when Turbine were bought out by Time Warner and the game switched to the f2p model.

So yeah, seriously, enjoy LOTRO, it's a very good game :) But just be aware that eventually you could end up in the same situation as with STO now... tbh it'll happen with any "theme park" style MMO. no Dev team can produce content as fast as the players can consume it.

Archived Post 08-02-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkphenoix
okay, as much as I love lotro, I had to laugh at your request...

While Lotro certainly has more content than STO (even at launch, lotro had more content than STO) Long term bugs and broken skills have plagued that game also, as have long content gaps... I believe one lasted for around 6-8 months when Turbine were bought out by Time Warner and the game switched to the f2p model.

So yeah, seriously, enjoy LOTRO, it's a very good game :) But just be aware that eventually you could end up in the same situation as with STO now... tbh it'll happen with any "theme park" style MMO. no Dev team can produce content as fast as the players can consume it.

My point wasn't LOTRO is better, my point is people are starting to trickle elsewhere. I'm aware of everything you mentioned and do understand player consumption.

But, the level at which Cryptic is allowing at this point is ridiculous plain and simple. I don't care if MMO A and MMO B has similar issues. STO needs to get its act together

Archived Post 08-02-2011 12:24 PM

What a... fluffy article. It must be nice to leave the game for a year and come back to see things as new, but for those of us sticking around month after month, nothing is new. Which is a shame, because we're the ones consistently paying the bills. Would be nice if some of this "content" would go toward giving end-gamers something to do.

This review missed the mark by a long shot.

Archived Post 08-02-2011 01:26 PM

I don't know. It seems like the article was short, but to the point. It addressed the problems the author had with STO in February 2010 and highlighted a lot of the stuff that has been added since.

As for not mentioning bugs, they rarely do. Bugs are things that get worked out over time, so mentioning them in an article that might be read for months to come is not a good idea.

Archived Post 08-02-2011 01:27 PM

Cryptic, you've done a great job bringing STO to the point where it is now. The game has improved vastly and you should be proud of that but...

Quote:

Klingon players need more official content ... and Cryptic definitely needs to add the Romulans as a faction.
This is the one area that still needs improvement. You know it and I know it. And we both know that Faction Agnostic Content + Foundry won't fill this need as you had planned.

The Klingon faction deserves more official, full featured missions. And the Romulan faction will require the same. If you don't have the resources to do this for the Klingon faction then it doesn't bode well for The Romulans. I for one, hope you've realized this and I hope you're starting to make plans to remedy this dilemma.

Archived Post 08-02-2011 01:55 PM

Any article that is 1 sided, either positive or negative, is useless. That article does a good job of highlighting STO's improvements, but pretty much ignores the substantial problems it still has. For someone who is considering trying the game or returning this article is only going to fool them into thinking everything is great when it in fact is not. Some things are, but others are very NOT great.

Archived Post 08-02-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlayfulDreamer (Post 3678831)
What a... fluffy article. It must be nice to leave the game for a year and come back to see things as new, but for those of us sticking around month after month, nothing is new. Which is a shame, because we're the ones consistently paying the bills. Would be nice if some of this "content" would go toward giving end-gamers something to do.

This review missed the mark by a long shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus (Post 3679051)
Any article that is 1 sided, either positive or negative, is useless. That article does a good job of highlighting STO's improvements, but pretty much ignores the substantial problems it still has. For someone who is considering trying the game or returning this article is only going to fool them into thinking everything is great when it in fact is not. Some things are, but others are very NOT great.

^ I agree with both of these


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:15 PM.