Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Sector Space: STUPID HELMSMAN! (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=227436)

Archived Post 08-08-2011 11:02 AM

Sector Space: STUPID HELMSMAN!
 
Why is it that, when you're using Auto-travel in Sector Space and you need to avoid another ship, you always turn left, even when the person you want to avoid is to the left of you?

Stupid helmsman, I said RIGHT TURN! RIGHT TURN! ~crash~

Archived Post 08-08-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord-Ice
Why is it that, when you're using Auto-travel in Sector Space and you need to avoid another ship, you always turn left, even when the person you want to avoid is to the left of you?

Stupid helmsman, I said RIGHT TURN! RIGHT TURN! ~crash~

Personally, I get annoyed when I set autopilot for a destination that only requires a 90 degree turn and my helmsman executes a perfect 270 degree turn in the opposite direction.

Archived Post 08-08-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmr1580 (Post 3688751)
Personally, I get annoyed when I set autopilot for a destination that only requires a 90 degree turn and my helmsman executes a perfect 270 degree turn in the opposite direction.

This, too. Why do I turn right if I need to turn left, and turn left when I need to turn right?

Archived Post 08-08-2011 02:33 PM

In addition to this, I notice that a lot of times I will set a course and my helmsman will fly me directly at the Popsicle stick beneath a system, instead of to the system itself, causing me to have to fly in circles upward to get to a place where I can actually click to Enter.

There are still a lot of little annoyances in Sector Space. Icons that seem to signify multiple things. Icons that seem to signify nothing. No way to properly chart a course, just straight line directions and nothing more.

They'll get these things enhanced and fixed eventually, but you've got to know they are not a high priority.


:cool:

Archived Post 08-08-2011 03:45 PM

It would also be nice instead of flying towards the center point of the sector space border that it goes to the nearest straight line point since that will get me there faster.

Archived Post 08-08-2011 03:58 PM

A few more. Plot a course to Sol and your helm will ensure you wander to close to the delta cluster. This of course brings you to a stop.

Helm: Do you wish to enter Delta?
Me: /em facepalm No I said Sol! You know that place Star Fleet supposedly taught you how to pilot this ship?

Of course helm doesn't always loop far left around obstacles. No sometimes my helm prefers to plow my ship into a star at Warp 9.96

*after crashing*
Helm: We are here!
Me: You are so fired.

Archived Post 08-08-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capulet (Post 3689170)
A few more. Plot a course to Sol and your helm will ensure you wander to close to the delta cluster. This of course brings you to a stop.

Helm: Do you wish to enter Delta?
Me: /em facepalm No I said Sol! You know that place Star Fleet supposedly taught you how to pilot this ship?

Of course helm doesn't always loop far left around obstacles. No sometimes my helm prefers to plow my ship into a star at Warp 9.96

*after crashing*
Helm: We are here!
Me: You are so fired.


This happens elsewhere too, so much so that I ended up disabling "Stop moving on dialogue," or however it is worded, in options.

I also dislike the wide birth turning. The ship turns faster at a dead stand-still than it does even at .3 warp. When you set an auto course, the autopilot puts you at half warp, which makes the turn rate so dismal in sec tor space.

What I do not get, is that if Sector Space is supposed to be a scaled down model of space, why is our turn rate so much worse? Since sector space is making things smaller, we should be turning faster rather than slower.

Archived Post 08-08-2011 04:24 PM

The question is would you like Cryptic to devote some time to work on this or commit resources elsewhere.

Also, if they do "fix" this issue one has to wonder what will get broken in the process.

Presonally I can live with how it is, because I don't want them to break anything else as a result of trying to fix and improve the current system.

Archived Post 08-08-2011 04:55 PM

Proof positive that even the crappiest flight sim players (me included, I always crash into stuff) are better pilots than the computer? I'd like to think so.

Archived Post 08-08-2011 05:40 PM

Well if you think about it, if you was at warp 3 even 2 you wouldnt turn on a dime, you would swing wide. i think Cryptic is just trying to stay real to the physics of Star Trek. Now I know to some that is not efficient but it does add a bit of realism to the game.

Now on the other hand you shouldnt have to "tidy bowl" up or down to a planet or destination or fly way left to enter another sector of space. So a couple of you have valid points but as far as swinging wide in a turn going warp 10/14 seems to be very realistic as far as Star Trek goes...unless some one can show me a video of Enterprise (NX01 - 1701 E), Voyager, or even the Defiant turning on a dime on one of the shows or movies while at warp.

No offense to no one here, just my opinion based on Trek show/movie facts.

=/\=


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:30 PM.