Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   GG at the end of a match (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=227814)

Archived Post 08-11-2011 10:13 AM

GG at the end of a match
 
Typing GG, itís a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I know why players do it, much like shaking hands after a sporting game.

To me a "good" game should just be that, not a stomping. I normally just dont say anything or if I do I thank them for playing.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I do type GG but normally when it was a close match and everyone seemed to be working hard on winning and having fun.

Archived Post 08-11-2011 10:18 AM

gg is:
a) First who type it in cybersport(SC, Q3 etc) is admits loosing before final score.
b) In non cybersport games it kinda always is win side after the game ends admiting they won O_o
In MMORPG it is kinda mix of every possible ways xD

i almost always type GG, just to be polite

Edit. Just met ya in battle :D

Archived Post 08-11-2011 10:24 AM

I type GG regardless if I am on the winning side or the losing side, and no matter what the score is.

It is a simple gesture that it is still a game and that we're just trying to have fun and not ruin people's day by being an *** and rubbing it in their face or moaning about some broken/off-balance mechanic.

So I will continue to say "gg" at the end of my matches, even if I got killed 15 times in an arena match...

Archived Post 08-11-2011 10:37 AM

For me it's a , thanks for playing, thanks for giving me something to shoot at. Regardless if I won or not, had a good team or not. I got to play and have fun. So gg.

Archived Post 08-11-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimsonoa (Post 3694078)
Typing GG, itís a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I know why players do it, much like shaking hands after a sporting game.

To me a "good" game should just be that, not a stomping. I normally just dont say anything or if I do I thank them for playing.

Thats one reason i stoped saying GG at the end of a match....because for the other team it might not of been fun them, I also used to dance at the end of a match because the battle is over so lets be friends but someone told me that was greefing so i guess we should just be mean and say NOTHING and beam out!

Archived Post 08-11-2011 10:52 AM

Crimson: You nub.

Noob: GG

MT: Lulz


------------------
For me gg means its a pity ive kicked someone's arse, and i feel bad about it. Smashing a tric in his/her **** or face.. you know... :)

Archived Post 08-11-2011 11:12 AM

Yeah, I can see what you're talking about Crimson. It can be a bit annoying if your team was just in a bad game. Typically, I'll try to say it when someone says it. I've even said it when I've been roflstomped. I guess I've just accepted it as appropriate etiquette for online gaming.

Archived Post 08-11-2011 11:13 AM

I've been playing competitive games, both video games and IRL since I was in elementary school. "GG" or "Good Game" has been a means to say, "Win or lose, I respect your talent in that last game." Even if you FEEL it wasn't a good game, you got trounced, bad. You still wanna be all like "Hey man, we got rolled but good playing on your part!"

"GG" in RTSs is a means of admitting defeat. GG in a MOBA (DotA, LoL, HoN, likely DotA 2) can feel a bit derogatory if the winner says it first. The player may not even MEAN it to be bad if he says GG just before winning, but to the losing side it might feel insulting. Chances are high, he didn't mean it to be (unless of course he trolled the match while winning and that, of course is unacceptable sportsmanship.)

I'd compare GG in MMO PvP to that of shaking hands with the enemy team in an RL sport and saying good game. Its usually after a match. If the winning team says it first, don't feel insulted if it was a bad loss.

Just sayin', as a competitive player myself :)

Archived Post 08-11-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beltoram
GG in a MOBA (DotA, LoL, HoN, likely DotA 2) can feel a bit derogatory if the winner says it first. The player may not even MEAN it to be bad if he says GG just before winning, but to the losing side it might feel insulting. Chances are high, he didn't mean it to be (unless of course he trolled the match while winning and that, of course is unacceptable sportsmanship.)

Kinda like that time I thanked a rival guild in PWI for the 3 fun hours while we were still about 5 minutes away from successfully defending the territory... in world chat... so the whole server saw it... Only a few people got upset cause well... 3 hour battle it was a good fight.

Archived Post 08-11-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beltoram
I've been playing competitive games, both video games and IRL since I was in elementary school. "GG" or "Good Game" has been a means to say, "Win or lose, I respect your talent in that last game." Even if you FEEL it wasn't a good game, you got trounced, bad. You still wanna be all like "Hey man, we got rolled but good playing on your part!"

"GG" in RTSs is a means of admitting defeat. GG in a MOBA (DotA, LoL, HoN, likely DotA 2) can feel a bit derogatory if the winner says it first. The player may not even MEAN it to be bad if he says GG just before winning, but to the losing side it might feel insulting. Chances are high, he didn't mean it to be (unless of course he trolled the match while winning and that, of course is unacceptable sportsmanship.)

I'd compare GG in MMO PvP to that of shaking hands with the enemy team in an RL sport and saying good game. Its usually after a match. If the winning team says it first, don't feel insulted if it was a bad loss.

Just sayin', as a competitive player myself :)

I agree with this, whether I lose or not, i always say gg. I play the game to have fun and improve my builds. Everything else is just fluff...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:10 AM.