Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Tactical Captain Build planning. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=228406)

Archived Post 08-16-2011 12:58 AM

Tactical Captain Build planning.
 
Ok right now this new captain I have rolled out is going to be a tactical cruiser captain mainly aiming for the Retrofit Excelsior Class. Although the problems I am foreseeing are when I reach the Operations, Engineering, and weapon types.

For further explanation for everyone.

What should I get for weapons? I know beam arrays are a must but what type for DPS, for torpedoes which should I put points into. Also the layout like how many arrays, beam bank, torpedoes the best for DPS. I have been using Phasers on my Engineering Captain and they fit his roll which isn't true for this time around. My other tactical captain is trying out tetryon weapons and quantum torpedoes. So far they are working okay even with the slight nerf. So what should I stick with for this captain, and when leveling her.

Up next the operations abilities what matters most for a DPS roll? Sensors? Emitters? Deflector? Cruisers I know have to be able to survive hits. So what should I pour points into?

Now for Engineering... I know weapons that is a no brainer, same with shields, but what about out of Aux. or Engines? Then Later at captain should I invest in subsystems? Admiral level Hull repair or Aux.?

So in general any clarification would be helpful and you would have my thanks.

Archived Post 08-16-2011 01:43 AM

Actually you wouldn't put points into weapons Mr. "No brainer" :P

Archived Post 08-16-2011 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffStavrosA.K.AParis
Actually you wouldn't put points into weapons Mr. "No brainer" :P

Ah ha ah ha not that amusing. Since I was talking about other characters genius.

Archived Post 08-16-2011 04:29 AM

been a while since i used a cruiser last. i liked antiproton. i know they are expensive in the skill tree, but they have good crit bonuses.
Also i think cyptic are going to patch soon so the more expensive skill weapons are worth it.

In terms of types, i used to roll with 4 beam arrays (1x fore and 3x aft), 2 dual beam bank, and a quantum torpedo on the rear.
not everyones cup of tea but it worked for me as you got good sustained damage no matter which way the ship was facing.

Archived Post 08-16-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_E_D_Allen89
What should I get for weapons? I know beam arrays are a must but what type for DPS, for torpedoes which should I put points into. Also the layout like how many arrays, beam bank, torpedoes the best for DPS. I have been using Phasers on my Engineering Captain and they fit his roll which isn't true for this time around. My other tactical captain is trying out tetryon weapons and quantum torpedoes. So far they are working okay even with the slight nerf. So what should I stick with for this captain, and when leveling her.

Stick with Phaser arrays and Quantum torpedoes. 3 arrays front, 3 arrays back, 1 quant front 1 in back. The Phasers have the nice subsystem disable proc which can help 'expose' your enemy. See below :)


Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_E_D_Allen89
Up next the operations abilities what matters most for a DPS roll? Sensors? Emitters? Deflector? Cruisers I know have to be able to survive hits. So what should I pour points into?

These abilities are mostly science related. You won't have much room for Sci abilities on your Exc-R. I would put some points into emitters and hazards and call it done. Haz Emit and Polarize Hull can help your defense quite a bit.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_E_D_Allen89
Now for Engineering... I know weapons that is a no brainer, same with shields, but what about out of Aux. or Engines? Then Later at captain should I invest in subsystems? Admiral level Hull repair or Aux.?

So for DPS I would focus on Eject Warp Plasma. Try to get EWP3 on your TAC. I think one of the Engine engineering skills will improve the skill. In any case, if you put points into engines it will allow you to be better set up when you need to 'spread the cloud' :) Also, if you are using Phasers the subsystem disable proc can bring down ship shields while they are trying to get out of the plasma cloud. Also, its nice when the engine subsystem proc hits as well while they are trying to get out :)

Anyway, my 2 EC. Good luck !

Archived Post 08-17-2011 09:21 PM

I could try that for leveling.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:30 AM.