Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Galactic News Network (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   U.S.S. Rhode Island Refit (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=228744)

Archived Post 08-19-2011 10:57 AM

U.S.S. Rhode Island Refit

A refitted Nova Class starship, the Rhode Island's Photonic Displacer Module creates the perfect decoy. Check it out in this video and learn more in the C-Store.

Link to the news article.

Archived Post 08-19-2011 11:00 AM

No, thank you very much. :)

Archived Post 08-19-2011 11:05 AM

Piles and piles of negative feedback about the setup of this ship, and ZERO changes.

Disappointing.

This one is a pass. I won't pay to support the ship tiers moving in this direction.

Archived Post 08-19-2011 11:09 AM

The Rhode Island has received very strong feedback from the playerbase, feedback I have not seen decently considered in any way as to what the community wanted to see from it: a ship that would not break present ship balance and be of Tier 3 rather than Tier 2.5 strength, and a ship that could be had as a retrofit at endgame.

I've seen one argument from Al Rivera saying how it could look ridiculous to have such a small ship be considered as a tier 5 vessel... but the very same applies to the Defiant. Hence, I find that the arguments against the Rhode Island being a worthy addition to the Tier 5 ship lineup is flawed. Maybe even something of a double standard.

I'm sorry, but based on what I've seen, I'm mildly displeased. I don't intend to promote the inlying practices presented either, nor the apparent refusal to give proper attention to what the end-users that were inclined to the topic wanted. Hence, I am not buying it.

Cryptic will be more likely to get my money when they more properly appeal to the desires of potential customers.

Archived Post 08-19-2011 11:10 AM

Rhode Island-gate

I agree to vote no with my dollars, even though I will make Lt cmmdr on one of my characters by early tonight and this ship would be perfect for him. I hope we as customers can be allowed to communicate our discontent constructively with Cryptic on this matter.

I also hope that those of us who can see the faults of the Rhode Island will be allowed to educate our less aware commades without silencing.

Archived Post 08-19-2011 11:11 AM

I'm fine with the ship being Tier 2, having a console, and costing 800 C-Points ($10 USD).

What I'm not fine with:
* No in-game method to obtain (sorry, this really needs to be available from Day 1 or else its a violation of the principle that no game-altering items are in C-Store)
* Unbalanced - console aside, it is better in three ways over the Tier 2 Science Vessel:
1) Has an additional engineering console
2) Has a 2nd lieutenant level science bridge officer (as opposed to default Tier 2's ensign level)
3) Has an impulse modifier of 0.20 instead of 0.15
What downsides does it have? None. Same hull, crew size, fore and aft weapons, tactical and science consoles, turn rate, inertia, and special abilities.

In other words -- this is the definition of a "pay-to-win" ship -- something you can only get by dishing out real cash and is the same or better in every regard. I'm really disappointed that after a 2 week delay based on tester feedback that this had none of the changes implemented.

Archived Post 08-19-2011 11:13 AM

Its A Fake

power does not even work that great in that video on youtube lol. at 43 seconds Before they cut away from the warbird firing on the original ship you see a photon torpedo not go to the decoy but to the orignial ship.

Fool us once shame on you, Trying to fool us twice well that is a shame on the buyers who go for this gimmick.

My thoughts are that players should have a had in building their own ship. by this I am talking about internal organs and systems. all ship must look the same outside to abide by starfleet regulations, but internally ships can be different. Hell its canon that all starfleet ships not be the same inside. Perhaps if the dev looked at some of star trek technical shows and gave the players access to the ship yards we could make better ship attributes then you The Greed store could then sell its consols to us at a reduced price value.

Archived Post 08-19-2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhyrexianHero
I'm fine with the ship being Tier 2, having a console, and costing 800 C-Points ($10 USD).

What I'm not fine with:
* No in-game method to obtain (sorry, this really needs to be available from Day 1 or else its a violation of the principle that no game-altering items are in C-Store)
* Unbalanced - console aside, it is better in three ways over the Tier 2 Science Vessel:
1) Has an additional engineering console
2) Has a 2nd lieutenant level science bridge officer (as opposed to default Tier 2's ensign level)
3) Has an impulse modifier of 0.20 instead of 0.15
What downsides does it have? None. Same hull, crew size, fore and aft weapons, tactical and science consoles, turn rate, inertia, and special abilities.

In other words -- this is the definition of a "pay-to-win" ship -- something you can only get by dishing out real cash and is the same or better in every regard. I'm really disappointed that after a 2 week delay based on tester feedback that this had none of the changes implemented.

Agreed, furthermore there's a genuine threat of this ship setting an example for future C-store ships. Imagine a T5 C-store only ship with 2 Cmdr. BO slots. It's something that is fairly likely to happen if things like the Rhode Island are tolerated ladies and gentlemen, think about that.

Archived Post 08-19-2011 11:18 AM

Adding my voice to the chorus:

-no to "pay-to-win"
-no to "you'll be able to get this through in-game means.....someday"
-no to ignoring stacks of player input
-no to silencing respectful dissent in these forums. Agreeing with "the party line" should not be a prerequisite to sharing your opinion.

Archived Post 08-19-2011 11:19 AM

Nope.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_Fire
A refitted Nova Class starship, the Rhode Island's Photonic Displacer Module creates the perfect decoy. Check it out in this video and learn more in the C-Store.

Link to the news article.

No thank you.