Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   Loot Needed for Hiests (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=229237)

Archived Post 08-23-2011 03:06 PM

Loot Needed for Hiests

My Orion captain is a mercenary and sometimes pirate. But there are NO pirate missions. I havent even seen any in the explore cluters. So I had this rather spectacular daydream this morning at work (my job is rather boring, my mind wanders lol).

I wanted to basically make up some missions where Jes goes and robs this or that, holds a colony for ransom or whatever. Basic piratey stuff. But then you cant set up any sort of loot so that you could feel properly a pirate at the end of the mission.

I know why Cryptic wouldnt allow this, but I think this might be doable:

Allow us to have ONE clickable object per mission. The "loot box" we shall call it, contains only crafting mats. It gives out only 5 mats at random level appropriate, or one rare anomaly. And then the mission could only be done once a day.

While this wouldnt be as epic as say, getting rewarded ONE MEELLION CREDITS /austing powers, I would be happy with it.

Archived Post 08-24-2011 12:01 PM

We're going to try to tackle the issue of allowing authors to add loot to their missions in Neverwinter, which should help us do the same for STO at some point. We've already begun working this out with what we call "mcguffin items", which are essentially quest items that are needed to progress the story but have no practical use. This allows us to get the structure in the Foundry worked out for adding loot to missions in the first place.

The balance issues will be slightly different from game to game, and those are the real problems we need to thoroughly think through. As soon as you add real loot to user generated content, the potential for exploits goes way up, so we're going to take all the time we need to get this right ;)

Archived Post 08-24-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapolis (Post 3716707)
We're going to try to tackle the issue of allowing authors to add loot to their missions in Neverwinter, which should help us do the same for STO at some point. We've already begun working this out with what we call "mcguffin items", which are essentially quest items that are needed to progress the story but have no practical use. This allows us to get the structure in the Foundry worked out for adding loot to missions in the first place.

The balance issues will be slightly different from game to game, and those are the real problems we need to thoroughly think through. As soon as you add real loot to user generated content, the potential for exploits goes way up, so we're going to take all the time we need to get this right ;)

Could some of these "mcguffin items" be like the hovering flashlight devices in the Deferi Featured Episodes, for players that want to make "dark" missions, or white/common quality melee weapon racks for maps intended for melee (also, maybe some sort of environmental tag that prohibits ranged weapons)?

Archived Post 08-24-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapolis (Post 3716707)

And that is the real problem. Exploiters. If it wasnt for those sort of people we wouldnt have a problem really.

I would love to make some missions where my Orion captian is out doing merchant raiding behind enemy lines. Take the cargo and sink (Read destroy) the shipping. it would so suit her character.

I also would love to see cryptic put more level appropriate experiance to foundry missions but again we could and would see exploiters ruin that also. i can see them putting a single ship in a mission just to get the mission exp. maybe they could find a way to do this at the same time that would solve the exploit problem

Archived Post 08-24-2011 03:19 PM

What we need is a 3rd option to the review pane.

Right now we have: Review and Report. But this report isn't for exploiters, it is for people the violate the EULA with names and language.

There needs to be 3 options: Review, Report: EULA, & Report: Exploit.

With the same way as with the EULA violations, after 3 strikes of making 'Exploit' missions, that person would lose their ability to create content, and any and all missions that they published would be removed, good or bad.

Archived Post 08-24-2011 09:18 PM

Could be a good thing..

Used modestly, I think this could be a great tool & asset for the game/players.

I'm curious if we'll ever get system-alloted XP (not the same as the wrapper XP), but XP based on difficulty, duration, enemies (vs. friendlies that help), etc.. Something roughly similar to how other missions work, which (for a huge majority of the game), seem to be very closely balanced.

I think, that too, would be a great bonus to the game.

Regards