Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   how do i get a shuttlecraft? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=229871)

Archived Post 08-29-2011 03:42 PM

how do i get a shuttlecraft?

Tried to do the flier quest but it says i must use a shuttlecraft. How do i get one?

Archived Post 08-29-2011 03:47 PM

You can buy two different types in the Requisitions section of ESD. The Runabout and Type 8 Shuttlecraft. You can also buy the vulcan tier 5 ship which comes with a shuttlecraft. As well, their is also the Captain's Yacht that unlocks after something like 400 paid days service.

As for the Delta Flyer, you can either buy it outright for C-Store points, making it available to all your characters. Or, you can do the shuttlecraft daily missions to get the schematic after 10 runs, which you then take to Memory Alpha to create at the R&D station. The Shuttlecraft Daily doesn't open up right away, not sure when it does. But you do need 180 general research skill (thanks starkaos) to craft the detla flyer from the schematic you get.

You'll need a shuttlecraft to do it, as you seem to have found out. So, you can do like I am doing now, I bought a temporary Runabout to use to do the missions, which I'll probably end up discharging when I get the detla flyer.

Open up your Journal (missions) and go to the Information tab on the left. Then look for the dialoge about crafting a shuttlecraft for more information.

Make sure you have a free ship slot when you craft your delta flyer. Also, you'll notice you will also have a delta flyer item in your inventory. This is not YOUR shuttle. That inventory item is a Shuttle Pet you get in addition to your actual detla flyer! You can use it to summon a non-combat pet while in space that follows your ship around. If you discard it, the only way to get it back is to either craft a new delta flyer or reclaim it from the C-Store if you bought it there.

Archived Post 08-29-2011 03:50 PM

Buy a runabout from the Shipyard, play the game for 400 days and go to the shipyard, or start the Vault mission in Romulan space and go to the shipyard. Buying the Peregrine Falcon and going to the shipyard also works. Can access the shuttles by going through the door in the shipyard.

Archived Post 08-29-2011 03:51 PM

The Craft Delta Flyer mission requires only 180 Research skill. There is no level requirement for it.

Archived Post 08-29-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starkaos (Post 3724845)
Can access the shuttles by going through the door in the shipyard.

Or from your transporter room in the ship interior (assuming you have obtained one through one of the ways mentioned).

Archived Post 08-29-2011 03:55 PM

Starting the mission "The Vault" will give you a free token to purchase a shuttle craft (talk to a requisition guy). Otherwise you can buy a shuttlecraft/runabout for EC. You *could* purchase the Delta Flyer for CPs but that kind'a defeats the purpose of doing the mission :). And as others stated there is the Captains Yacht veteran award.

Archived Post 08-29-2011 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f(t)
Starting the mission "The Vault" will give you a free token to purchase a shuttle craft (talk to a requisition guy). Otherwise you can buy a shuttlecraft/runabout for EC. You *could* purchase the Delta Flyer for CPs but that kind'a defeats the purpose of doing the mission :). And as others stated there is the Captains Yacht veteran award.

I think the only reason someone would want to buy the Delta from the C-Store is to have it unlock on all their characters so they wouldn't have to do the mission and craft it on every character of theirs. If I had more than 3 characters I wanted it on, I would probably buy it from the C-Store. But, 3 characters isn't really worth it to me.

Just to note, the Schematic for the Delta is NOT bind on pick up. You can buy and sell it on the Exchange, so doing the 10 day mission is only one of three optional ways to get the Delta Flyer!

Archived Post 08-29-2011 11:24 PM

thanks for the great replies. Im kind of a purist I will be doing the missions. /runs off to ESD for a little cheap shuttle to do the quests in.

PS Im 500 in crafting. just need to get the schem and the mats.

Archived Post 08-29-2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f(t)

Also, when you do 'The Vault' mission you also get a free ship slot (for the shuttlecraft); and later, if yo decide to decommission the shuttle you still get to keep the ship slot.

Archived Post 09-04-2011 04:07 PM

what is the point of a shuttlecraft beyond the couple quests that require it? I have a tactical ship with lots of crew and weapons my delta flier lasted very short time doing missions.