Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   The New Star Trek (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=231249)

Archived Post 09-10-2011 12:03 AM

The New Star Trek

So, I'm not a fan of the new Star Trek. BUT, before you start, this isn't another Trek bashing thread.

Instead, I came up with an idea I wanted feedback on.

See, we know that Nero created an alternate timeline. We also know that in that timeline Vulcan was destroyed. My question here is, do Kirk and Spock suddenly grow goaties? ie; is what we're seeing the beginning of the Terran Empire in the Mirror Universe?

I mean think about it - the Vulcans were a stabilizing force in the Federation, lending a sense of logic and calmness which undoubtedly led to the Federation's values on peace and prosperity. WIthout that, or at least with that being diminished, wouldn't the course of history change completely?

Perhaps Kirk's generation rejected those values?

Just a thought :)

Archived Post 09-10-2011 12:34 AM

1) enterprise has already explained the mirror universe went well into the 21st century and probably earlier.

2) even after a tragic event i dont think they would all change their fundamental way of life and all become evil in the space of a few years.

yes the course of history will still change but humanity has already gotten to a decent point. unless something tragic happened to earth i dont see them becoming like the mirror universe.

Archived Post 09-10-2011 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
2) even after a tragic event i dont think they would all change their fundamental way of life and all become evil in the space of a few years.

I can think of several examples where "out of hardship arose tyranny", however, discussing real world politics is not allowed on these forums.

I agree though, the JJ Abrams universe is not the Mirror Universe. If it was, it would have been a complete failure at separating the franchise for Paramount and CBS to both play with the Star Trek title. No one wants to watch a movie series based in the mirror universe. One or two episodes, sure, but that's only because it gives the good guys a chance to act evil.

As it is, the JJ reboot is going to be a hard sell to the American public for more than 3 movies. Especially if CBS picks the title back up with an ongoing TV series set in the "prime" universe. People will see the JJ movies like "well that was a nice experiment, but it's over, that stuff on CBS is the "Real Star Trek".

Archived Post 09-10-2011 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PodSix
I can think of several examples where "out of hardship arose tyranny", however, discussing real world politics is not allowed on these forums.

I agree though, the JJ Abrams universe is not the Mirror Universe. If it was, it would have been a complete failure at separating the franchise for Paramount and CBS to both play with the Star Trek title. No one wants to watch a movie series based in the mirror universe. One or two episodes, sure, but that's only because it gives the good guys a chance to act evil.

As it is, the JJ reboot is going to be a hard sell to the American public for more than 3 movies. Especially if CBS picks the title back up with an ongoing TV series set in the "prime" universe. People will see the JJ movies like "well that was a nice experiment, but it's over, that stuff on CBS is the "Real Star Trek".

Actually I really do hope you're right there, I've been waiting since I was ten for the Next Next Generation :P

Archived Post 09-10-2011 05:37 AM

Maybe the new TV series which is being pitched since late august should be called the Next Generation Jr lol but seriously maybe it should be called the New Generation, that way since it is mentioned in the pitch a new cast will be in it I hope they will use the old crews from TNG, DS9 and VOY in some way, like they did with stargate Atlantis with the speical apperance of RDA, MS and CJ if you guys know what i'm talking about.

Archived Post 09-10-2011 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
Maybe the new TV series which is being pitched since late august should be called the Next Generation Jr lol but seriously maybe it should be called the New Generation, that way since it is mentioned in the pitch a new cast will be in it I hope they will use the old crews from TNG, DS9 and VOY in some way, like they did with stargate Atlantis with the speical apperance of RDA, MS and CJ if you guys know what i'm talking about.

What new series being pitched since August. Can someone post a link to an article or whatever. I would like to read about it.

Archived Post 09-10-2011 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jericho791 (Post 3749579)
What new series being pitched since August. Can someone post a link to an article or whatever. I would like to read about it.

Seriously, its been mention loads of times around here.

Here you go - http://www.slashfilm.com/david-foste...r-trek-series/

type in google there are other websties around which tell the same thing.

Edit: here is one from MTV lol, http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/08/25...oot-tv-series/

Archived Post 09-10-2011 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
Seriously, its been mention loads of times around here.

Sorry! I haven't seen it before now.

Anyway, thanks for the link.

Archived Post 09-10-2011 07:07 AM

I always wonder why people say the new film is fresh and reinvigorating and is a lifeline for the franchise.

As somebody else has pointed out, the current cast will do maybe 3 films max. Where will we go from there? another rediculous reboot (after a reboot) like the direction spiderman is going?

Considering paramount owns the film rights and cbs the tv rights, are we going to see any kind of colaboration between the two to bring a tv series out following the films?

My guess is that the films will do well, and that will be it, if we ever do get a new tv series it will have nothing to do with the films, and I doubt the current cast would want anything to do with a tv series.

Like podsix said, I think the jj verse films are going to be pretty much cast away and forgotten about.

JJ verse reminds me of a scenario I had with a couson of mine when I was a teenager. My uncle had asked me to dig a 4 foot by 6 foot hole (which he was going to concrete and use for working under cars)

I made the hole about 5 foot wide (leaving a one foot ledge so I could climb out as the hole was getting pretty deep by then) one day I reached a layer of clay, and it was taking hours to remove even a couple of inches, so my uncle decided to bring another couson along to help.

The first thing the couson did was destroy the little (soil) ledge that I had left to get in and out of the hole, my uncle came along and said "look what he did in a couple of minutes compared to what you have done all day"

I didnt even bother explaining that the soil ledge was nothing compared to the clay we was standing on, and didnt bother comming back (i'm sure that couson had fun digging the clay and listening to my uncle complain haha)

Ok this is a rather long analogy so bear with me its almost over.

In essence I am saying its all very easy to come along and make things look 'fresh' and 'new' but at the end of the day it is merley an illusion, the people who where impressed to begin with, are not going to stick around. (those kind of people are constantly on the look out for new shinys, and not interested in a deep storyline, or an interesting backstory/lore)

JJ verse essentially came along took all the shiney bits from star trek, added some very dramatic (and admitily exciting) plots into the mix, shook it all together and added some lens flair. The result? a slick action film and a good film if viewed in that light. What is the problem with that then?

To some there is no problem, for me however it seems they have sacrificed plot/good writting in favour of action. They destroyed two iconic homeworlds (one of them permanantly) in the relentless call for more and more action.

How are they going to keep up with this contant call for more and more action? will they destroy earth next? kill spock maybe?

So yeah JJ trek was a good action movie, but for me it was not a star trek movie, and despite bringing in the numbers (fans who have never liked star trek) those numbers are not going to stick with the franchise if it ever comes back on to tv, because no star trek tv series could hope to keep up with the relentless action from the films (and I would not want to watch one that did) in the end all those people who flocked to see the sparkly newness of the jj films, will not become trek fans, and probably will not become fans of future or past star trek tv series'.

*steps off soupbox*

Archived Post 09-10-2011 07:26 AM

I do like the new star trek but I hope there will be a new series because honestly i think Star trek is better of being a TV series than a movie, with a moive the story seems to short but with a series the stories could last up to three episodes which what nearly 3 hours long. Visula effects etc in st movies are great but whats the point if there is no story to follow, and adventure, which is what star trek is all about and should continue to be so.