Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Academy (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Leveling a friend?! (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=231366)

Archived Post 09-11-2011 10:32 AM

Leveling a friend?!

Hello!

I just got a friend into the game and i want to help him leveling. But i am lvl 27 so i wonder if and how this is possible, do i cause a xp malus for him when killing enemy ships ? Will he but still at least get the normal XP reward from completed missions ?

Archived Post 09-11-2011 10:42 AM

Yes and no. If you just help him with missions (in space) you will nerf his XP for kills. When he would normally get +10 XP for destroying a ship, he would only get +1.

UNLESS...

you level match him. Make him Squad Leader (not team leader). Then make sure you level match down to his level. You have to keep an eye on this because if you go to far away from him, you will return to your level. If this happens, you will have to match him again. Also, to be safe, make sure that your friend enters any map first. Otherwise, there is a chance that all the enemies will be your level in which case he won't stand a chance. If you are level matched, his earned XP will be normal.

Archived Post 09-11-2011 11:26 AM

ah thank you very much, i did not know of the squad system yet ;)

Archived Post 09-11-2011 11:39 AM

If you help your friend to Lt. Level 6 and then help with the first missions of the Breen and Devidian Featured Episodes, then your friend can go back and forth doing "Cold Comfort" and "Spin the Wheel", earning Skill Points real fast. :D

Walkthroughs for both are here:

Cold Comfort Mission Walkthrough

Spin the Wheel Mission Walkthrough

I would seriously recommend using those walkthroughs since both missions can be tricky and it's possible to fail them if you make a mistake.

But I suggested those two mainly because of three reasons:

1) They're fast [takes 10 minutes on average to do one of them]
2) There's literally no combat [space or ground]
and
3) With doing both of them, you can level up even faster compared to doing just one. :)

Archived Post 09-11-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Croshy (Post 3751290)
Hello!

I just got a friend into the game and i want to help him leveling. But i am lvl 27 so i wonder if and how this is possible, do i cause a xp malus for him when killing enemy ships ? Will he but still at least get the normal XP reward from completed missions ?

You need to be a little careful if you helping someone that is a lot lower in rank then you, but not much.
There are only two types of missions in the game that level with a person, Featured Episodes, and the missions in the Star Clusters.(Delta Volanis, Arucanis Arm, etc...) Don't match his level on any other missions though, so you will kill things faster, and the missions will go faster.

So if you do those types of missions with him,(The ones that follow your level) make sure you match his level before entering the map, and that he enters first. He will get the normal XP reward from at the end of the mission. However, he won't get as many XP points during the mission since you will do most of the killing, however that is made up because it goes so much faster.

Archived Post 09-11-2011 12:58 PM

I have gone the way of starting a New Toon just to help out New Players at Rank. If you have Toon Slots available, that is an Option to think about.

Archived Post 09-11-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamRadio18
You need to be a little careful if you helping someone that is a lot lower in rank then you, but not much.
There are only two types of missions in the game that level with a person, Featured Episodes, and the missions in the Star Clusters.(Delta Volanis, Arucanis Arm, etc...) Don't match his level on any other missions though, so you will kill things faster, and the missions will go faster.

The mission may go faster, but your friend will only get 1 XP for each kill. This is not that big a deal on ground missions because all kills only get you 1 XP anyway. But in space, the battle cruisers can get you over +10 skill points each. Without level match, your friend will lose out on this. And really, even if you level match down, you will still kill things very fast. Your ship will still have more weapons, you have more BO abilities, and you are still using mark VI gear.

Archived Post 09-12-2011 08:31 AM

Even level matched, vastly out-leveled weapons make up the difference. If you want to really fight at someones level you have to actually equip ships and weapons of that level too.

Archived Post 09-12-2011 08:48 AM

Ok so make this clear, I am a rear admiral and my friend is LTC, can he come with me to do my missions? Will he get my exp points (amount) or he will just get low amount of EXP points?

Archived Post 09-12-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kutunto
Ok so make this clear, I am a rear admiral and my friend is LTC, can he come with me to do my missions? Will he get my exp points (amount) or he will just get low amount of EXP points?

Not that I know of most of the mission for RA you need to be that rank to be eligable to play. Aside from the FE missions and the exploration clusters. You would be better of matching his lvl.