Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   All the balancing talks (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=232003)

Archived Post 09-17-2011 06:46 AM

All the balancing talks

I was thinking the other day, why always balance the abilities?
Why not simply redo the skill tree and really make skill three count for something. Maybe then, not just abilities, but even the classes might become more polished, more distinct?
What you think ppl?

Archived Post 09-17-2011 02:51 PM

Sadly i have to agree, the entire skills and abilities need a serious rework.

Archived Post 09-18-2011 04:30 AM

I agree. Somehow I heard that they wanted to redo the skill trees with Season 4 but... :confused:

Archived Post 09-18-2011 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3w
I agree. Somehow I heard that they wanted to redo the skill trees with Season 4 but... :confused:

"redo" the skill tree means putting space into space and ground into ground and all the ships into generic classes so we can fly any ship we want at any time....

Archived Post 09-18-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3w

Still seems to be something they are working on, though apparantly into two different aspecs
1) Changing the ship related and weapons skills so you don't have to respec just because you switched from AC to SC or Quantums to Photons.
2) Splitting Ground and Space skill tree. That might come with changing the cost for skills and with a level cap increase. *PvP community alarm bells ringing*

If I wasn't such a lazy ... donkey ... I could try to find the relevant quotes in the Dev Tracker over the past weeks. But thankfully for me, I am lazy.

Archived Post 09-18-2011 02:14 PM

Geko is currently working on a revamp of the ship command and weapons parts of the space skill tree to make it easier to fly multiple ships and swap out different weapon energy types without gimping yourself in the process.

Other issues in these areas are similarly being addressed in the course of this process.

At some point on the future we have also discussed decoupling the space and ground skill points.

A full review of space powers is also on Geko's long-term list of things to do.

Archived Post 09-18-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heretic
Geko is currently working on a revamp of the ship command and weapons parts of the space skill tree to make it easier to fly multiple ships and swap out different weapon energy types without gimping yourself in the process.

Now that it will be practical to have more than one ship to fly it would be awesome if we had more outposts to fly to in order to switch out our ships.

I don't know if the game engine would require us to do it from the ground but if we could change it from space at these outposts the content team wouldn't even have to make new ground zones to beam down to. They could just kit bash some Star Basses and throw in some Dry Docks and hook up some NPC contacts similar in fashion to Battle Group Omega and we would be set.

Archived Post 09-18-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

You. Are. Doing. It. Wrong.

Geko needs to get his butt onto OPvP and onto the highly concentrated places of knowledge like the TSI vent. He needs to be meeting with highly knowledgeable members of the community like Big Red. Any kind of review he tries to do by himself will fail because he doesn't understand balance, and the rest of Cryptic is equally helpless. No amount of theory crafting or pouring over mined data is going to cure the fact that you guys are operating from a position of ignorance. We are here to help. Let us.

Archived Post 09-18-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Other issues in these areas are similarly being addressed in the course of this process.

At some point on the future we have also discussed decoupling the space and ground skill points.

yes. i said so at the beginning.
Having Anti Proton requiring more points than phasers, for example, makes no sense.
And needing different points in different weapons doesn't make sense in space if you don't need it in ground.

Archived Post 09-18-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hurleybird (Post 3762728)
You. Are. Doing. It. Wrong.

Geko needs to get his butt onto OPvP and onto the highly concentrated places of knowledge like the TSI vent. He needs to be meeting with highly knowledgeable members of the community like Big Red. Any kind of review he tries to do by himself will fail because he doesn't understand balance, and the rest of Cryptic is equally helpless. No amount of theory crafting or pouring over mined data is going to cure the fact that you guys are operating from a position of ignorance. We are here to help. Let us.

If I were them and heard you talk about me like you just talked about them I guarantee you would be the last person I would talk to ever about anything. No matter if your correct or not you can't tell somebody "your ignorant and out of touch, now listen to me." That approach never works.