Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Ten Forward (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Einstein may have been wrong.. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=232498)

Archived Post 09-22-2011 10:48 AM

Einstein may have been wrong..
 
if this is confirmed. Ftl in normal space may be possible.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7KM3UU20110922

Archived Post 09-22-2011 10:49 AM

Not a big surprise...

Most sci eventually is prooven to be wrong to some degree.

Archived Post 09-22-2011 10:51 AM

so if im reading that right he was off by 60 nanoseconds.

tough crowd.

Archived Post 09-22-2011 11:00 AM

I want a Neutrino cannon, you are death before you see me shoot !!
Faster then light, so after we get a optic computer, we need to update it with a neutrino one, LOL

Archived Post 09-22-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
so if im reading that right he was off by 60 nanoseconds.

tough crowd.

The expected time is around 2464 nanoseconds, so 60 nanoseconds is fairly significant. At least when you're expected upper bound is literally written in stone.

Archived Post 09-22-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevach (Post 3769516)
The expected time is around 2464 nanoseconds, so 60 nanoseconds is fairly significant. At least when you're expected upper bound is literally written in stone.

i think i did misunderstand. yeah i guess that is pretty significant.

Archived Post 09-22-2011 11:18 AM

So when do I get to warp faster then light in my own Enterprise?

Archived Post 09-22-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctrl255
So when do I get to warp faster then light in my own Enterprise?

you'll need to find a steep slope first with plenty of runway.

Archived Post 09-22-2011 11:29 AM

60 nanoseconds quicker than light over a 730km distance? I'm not going to crunch all the numbers out but that's insignificant.

If you were riding on the neutrino you got there 60 billionths of a second faster than if you were riding on a light beam. The time difference is imperceptible.

I suppose if you scaled that up to billion and trillion km distances, as we find in space, it might become significant at some point... but you'd have to be traveling to the other side of the galaxy for it to matter.

Archived Post 09-22-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bone1970 (Post 3769513)
I want a Neutrino cannon, you are death before you see me shoot !!
Faster then light, so after we get a optic computer, we need to update it with a neutrino one, LOL

The only cannon that does Zero damage to it's target? :D lol


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:27 AM.