Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Galactic News Network (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Priority One talks with Dan Stahl (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=232624)

Archived Post 09-23-2011 02:52 PM

Priority One talks with Dan Stahl

Priority One catches up with Dan Stahl before he departs.

Link to the news article.

Archived Post 09-23-2011 05:10 PM

my favorite part of the interview is in the middle where Dstahl said "I am about more content".

Archived Post 09-23-2011 05:39 PM

What worried me a little was when Dan said ' I hope they continue with the Featured Episodes'. Although it's been a long time since we've seen one, the FE's are my favorite part of the game. I know not everyone likes them but for me they are great and I look forward to them. So to PW keep the FE's.

Archived Post 09-23-2011 05:56 PM

not everyone likes them? Is that what you said?
Who doesn't like content?

Archived Post 09-23-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Staran (Post 3771652)
not everyone likes them? Is that what you said?
Who doesn't like content?

Ok...Ok ... maybe I'm wrong about that.:p

Archived Post 09-23-2011 06:54 PM

Oh goodie! He pulled the "debateable" riff again. This mean the F2P matrix ain't changing. :mad:

EDIT: I was not impressed with this podcast.

Archived Post 09-23-2011 07:50 PM

Very good interview. I sure appreciate Dan's openness and it contained a lot of very good info. :)

Archived Post 09-23-2011 07:52 PM

I tried but I can't listen to this. Who is the creator of this program, I have some feedback.

Archived Post 09-23-2011 11:03 PM

Finally got some time to sit down and listen. Mostly some feedback to what Dan said.

I can totally appreciate wanting to make sure that people returning as free players aren't barred from getting in by too many hoops to jump through, and I think the build restrictions over at Champs caused a lot of forums.

Still though, its possible to make subscriptions attractive upgrades without locking things away.

What it boils down to; You guys really need to sit down and work through all of the numbers again, and see what sort of value subscribers get for their $15.

Examine what a player could get for $15 of CPoints (roughly 1250 points) versus subbing and getting 400points and a Gold membership.

For Gold you get:

+1 Character slot
Foundry building access
Full sized banks
BO Slots as you rank
and the standard respec tokens as you rank

No additional ship or costume slots

A player can easily spend their 15 bucks and get these things in ONE MONTH (per toon) and still have points left over to buy other things. The ONLY true carrot in there is foundry publishing rights, which thus far are not announced as purchasable.

I think its pretty inexcusable to ask for subscribers to pay for additional service items like that. If they are subscribing, they should be earning additional server resources - You should be OPENING DOORS to keep them playing (and paying) rather than making them buy the keys, A Player who subs 100 days certainly has earned more costume slots, and why not give out a ship slot at 200 or a character slot at 300. If 300 days of sub money doesn't offset the storage costs they would create, you guys have some SERIOUS infrastructure issues to solve.

You have a GREAT opportunity to add some awesome incentives to the veteran rewards to make that subscription plan more enticing.

Something is very wrong if an existing player thinks they will get a better value for their money by dropping their sub and playing for free. Not being able to afford the sub, or not thinking the game is worth subbing to is one thing, but not finding VALUE in the sub package is just terrible.

Its not really going to hurt you. You will still have plenty of shiny things rolling on the C-Store, and that 400points won't go very far on premium items, so you'll still get the pound of extra flesh, even from your lifetime players.

You don't want to bar players from getting back into the game with F2P barriers. Don't bar current players from continuing to enjoy the game by setting infrastructure barriers. Open up those slots for your paying customers.

Archived Post 09-23-2011 11:11 PM

Really wish the Priority One website had an option to turn off the stupid sound effects when you visit the link.