Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   PvP Gameplay (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Mines - What if they were less, but stealthy and ignoring shields? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=235699)

Archived Post 10-11-2011 12:59 AM

Mines - What if they were less, but stealthy and ignoring shields?

A single mine launcher drops one mine only. This mine is stealthy, similar to an MES effect.

Mine Patterns increase the number of a mine drop to 3 / 5 / 8 with a total damage increase of +100% / 200% / 300%. (that means individual mines in a pattern will effectice deal less damage than the single mine, but the total damage is notably increased.)

When a mine hits a ship, it ignores shields, and deals direct hull damage. The damage they inflict is equal to that of a torpedo of their type. The mine recharge is 50 % longer.

Mines could come with an "arming delay", that ensures that you don't use mines like dropping a bomb. (The mines might cloak relatively fast, but require a second or so before they start hunting down enemies. Giving players time to react.)
A player may have up to 3 mines drops (a drop is a mine or a pattern of mines) out for each mine layer.

The Tri-Cobalt Mine type might be the only non-cloaked mine. Reduce the damage output to 33 % but do not increase the recharge time and the additional arming delay. Tric Mines also become affected by Mine Patterns. Trics basically still are more "bombs" then mines then.

So "spamming" with mines would be almost impossible, as they are invisible most of the time. But mines are always threatening, since they ignore shields. And with 5 possible mine drops around, you can actively try to lay traps. (More important in Capture & Hold then Circle-To-Ceiling Arenas. Though I'd mine one of those asteroid donuts.)

Archived Post 10-11-2011 01:49 AM

I'm not entirely sure but I think on Tribble mines already have a cloak/MES effect. At least the mines dropped by Gorn NPCs always vanish after deployment (Never did the Gorn FE to confirm cloaked mines). In the T0 cruiser with 100/50/25/25 power I only see them again when they are already targeting me.

Archived Post 10-11-2011 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully (Post 3802975)
When a mine hits a ship, it ignores shields, and deals direct hull damage. The damage they inflict is equal to that of a torpedo of their type.

If you were to do that a tricolbolt mine would be the only real option wouldn't you think?

Archived Post 10-11-2011 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPretorius
If you were to do that a tricolbolt mine would be the only real option wouldn't you think?

Continue reading my post. Tri-Cobalts would need to be changed, of course.

Quote:

I'm not entirely sure but I think on Tribble mines already have a cloak/MES effect. At least the mines dropped by Gorn NPCs always vanish after deployment (Never did the Gorn FE to confirm cloaked mines). In the T0 cruiser with 100/50/25/25 power I only see them again when they are already targeting me.
Yes, it seemed to me as well. I didn't try player mines yet, though.

Archived Post 10-11-2011 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPretorius

It probably would, but as Mustrum has suggested reducing the dmg output of the tricobalts to 33% would make it less of an obvious choice, and bring it back into line, by and large.

Archived Post 10-11-2011 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully (Post 3803032)
Continue reading my post. Tri-Cobalts would need to be changed, of course.

Sorry i'm getting a bit head of myself here :p