Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=250)
-   -   Tribble Characters - Suggestion for Devs (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=235715)

Archived Post 10-11-2011 04:19 AM

Tribble Characters - Suggestion for Devs

So I have now hit VA on my tribble test character (and apart from the issues with getting new ships/equipment) it has been an intersting experience (being so poor!)

In fact, I have become quite attached to my Andorian and his crew, and have a suggestion for the developers.

When the test cycle is over and F2P goes live on holo, please allow us to keep/transfer our new characters.

I would pay good C-store money to make this happen, and I think other people might as well, and it could be a nice little earner for you with frankly fairly little work required.

I understand the imbalanced XP rewards that have been in place on test server, in order for us to level quickly, but what is the difference between this and the various Skill Boosts that you can buy on live anyway? It would also be a nice way of an additional reward for those of us testing the system, to have this option.

:rolleyes:

Archived Post 10-11-2011 04:35 AM

I believe never in gaming history test characters from any kind of test server were allowed on live servers, and that for obvious and good reasons.

And sorry to say that... If you became attached to you char its your fault, you knew it was just a test character.

Dont expect that to happen.

Archived Post 10-11-2011 05:11 AM

People really should just make quick knockoffs of their holodeck characters on tribble. That way when they go 'humm, i wanna play this toon on holodeck.' they can just log into holodeck.

There's more to it than just the enhanced xp too, tribble characters can have a lot of coding baggage that may not be compatible with their final holodeck build. It would be a waste of the devs time not only attempting to test to see that they're compatible, but having to fix unforseen problems that could arise later on.

Archived Post 10-11-2011 07:06 AM

I"m not sure why it would be coding baggage. They can transfer one way, why not the other? I have to admit I quite like the character I built as well, and I'm fairly certain other people would like this as well. During beta testing I got quite far, and I ended up having to remake the character. No big deal, but even so, it would be nice. Through the testing process we've gone through a lot of hurdles we wouldn't have had to deal with if this were live as well, so I wouldn't say its particularly easy either. Looking back, I wish I had just levelled 100% on DOffs. The attachment has come in large part because I ran through the whole story arc. I'm fairly certain we are not alone in this sentiment.

Archived Post 10-11-2011 08:20 AM

Basically it comes down to the devs testing and changing things a whole lot on the test server without really caring what it will do to the current test characters. They will take things out or maybe recode how some things work, all depending on what issues/bugs they come up agaist. This can have the effect of causing unforseen glitches in your test character if it were to be transferred to that system after having stats in it created from the system they changed/got rid of entirely.

They won't even transfer toons when a tribble patch adds little more than a few ninja nerfs/buffs and the latest c-store item, with a test as large and as changing as this one has the potential to be, they won't here either.

I know how you feel, i've got a test feddie at VA and my test Klink is almost captain, but we get xp boosts, tribbles, doffs, dilithium and ship slots. Those are things they can give us without potentially wasting a lot of their time trying to troubleshoot and fix a bunch of potentially bugged toons on holodeck. It's also a lot more than the standard tribble reward too, they know it's a big ask which is why we get these extras for it.

You're free to make the request ofcourse, but don't get your hopes up. It'd be a company first and quite likely (i'm not privvy to every MMOG out there) an industry first aswell.

Archived Post 10-11-2011 09:14 AM

Yeah, I don't see it happening either. I'm at VA with one toon on holodeck, and was starting to level my 2nd toon before this build hit tribble, and I put that on hold. Having already played through the story with my VA character, i'm just trying to level up my other character as fast as possible. It took me 3 days to get to VA on the test server, with the XP bonus. If I could just transfer chars from Tribble to Holodeck, I could level up another 2 or 3 characters to VA within a week, whereas it'd take me months on Holodeck.

Not really fair.

Archived Post 10-11-2011 03:33 PM

Understand comments made above.

Am only asking/suggesting that they might be able to make some money from the Cstore on this one.
:p

On the subject of faster levelling - it would just be like purchasing XP boosts, which you can do already.
On the subject of being an industry first, and no other game has ever allowed beta chars into the live universe: the game is already live and has been for nearly 2 years. This beta window is kinda unique in that they are changing the existing game. Ppl will have max level characters on holo still (hopfully!) when f2p goes live...

Archived Post 10-11-2011 06:06 PM

Should not happen. If you like the character so much go to Holodeck server right now and remake it and earn it.

Archived Post 10-11-2011 06:14 PM

I don't bet on it happening, and I'll probably make a clone of my test character on holo, but it would be nice to just be able to port her over. She's a lot of fun to play :)

Archived Post 10-11-2011 06:24 PM

I doubt there is even a mechanism in place to transfer from a test to live server.... I understand your attachment but you need to realize the purpose of Tribble is for testing not playing